best windows for gaming

XP...

in fact, for the hardcore gamer, there are specific services that will most benefit performance on gaming systems.

Routing and Remote Access

Alerter

Application Layer Gateway Service

Application Management

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

ClipBook

COM+ System Application

Distributed Link Tracking Client

Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Help and Support

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service

IPSEC Services

Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

Net Logon

NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Network DDE

Network DDE DSDM

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

NT LM Security Support Provider

Performance Logs and Alerts

Portable Media Serial Number

QoS RSVP

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator

Remote Registry

Removable Storage

Server

Smart Card

Smart Card Helper

SSDP Discovery Service

System Restore Service

Telnet

Themes

Uninterruptible Power Supply

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Volume Shadow Copy

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Windows Installer

Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions

Wireless Zero Configuration

WMI Performance Adapter

Fast User Switching Compatibility

Protected Storage

Windows Time

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Task Scheduler

Secondary Logon

Print Spooler

Indexing Service

Error Reporting Service

Computer Browser

Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

i would go with a custom made windows xp embedded gaming edition made by me, increases performace in games by at least 25-150% depending on which game your running, some quick numbers on my pc in 3dmark03 i got a good 3383 on normal clean xp, and on clean formated installed windows xp embedded gaming edition (custom made by me for my system) i got 4628, i donno what % that is, but thats an amazing improvement

thats what i wanted,is there anyway i could get a copy,or make my own?

Set up a hardware profile to test whether you find problems disabling the services or not.

You don't want to fiddle with your default settings until you've tested them in a "test" hardware profile.

1. windows 98 takes less than 10 seconds to boot

2. all the new viruses don't work with win98 (most of them)

3. takes less than 300mb in your hard disk

:yes:

4. It crashes every 4 or 5 mouse clicks

5. It's horribly inefficient

6. It may have a lower footprint, but it can't take advantage of system resources the way 2k/XP can

By the way, the Tom's Hardware Guide article is http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20020930/index.html. The benchmarks showed that there was generally a 1 to 2% variation between OSs and each tested game seemed to have a different favourite OS.

Conclusion

The tests show that there's no reason today to use Windows 98/ME in a new system. In many of the benchmarks, XP and 2000 are ahead - albeit only by a small margin.

XP Pro then strip it of all the un-nessesary services and visuals you dont need on a gaming rig :D

Yeah! I agreed, but and all news games build for Windows XP?, then your alternative is convenient dual boot as: old games in partition with Windows 98SE, new games of course in other partition with Windows XP PRO right.

Yeah! I agreed, but and all news games build for Windows XP?, then your alternative is convenient dual boot as: old games in partition with Windows 98SE, new games of course in other partition with Windows XP PRO right.

Sounds about right. Win 98 SE or ME for older games and Windows XP (Home or Pro) for newer games. I can go for that. :)

I like PC Gaming. UT2004 r0x0rZ! :woot:

From my experence, Windows 2000 runs games far slower than Windows XP, so I suggest Windows XP.

From my experence, Windows 2000 runs games far slower than Windows XP, so I suggest Windows XP.

Exact oposite from me, unless your video card drivers don't like Win2k.

VERY IMPORTANT:

Use WindowsXP but do NOT use XPLite. I've tried and tested this to the limits and it breaks a lot of things that may well be important at some point. There is an alternative called nLite. Use this instead.

XPLite works by taking a full installation of XP and ripping out the parts you don't want. This process is back to front, in my opinion, and is known to cause problems with the remaining components. As an example, removing the Windows Address Book makes it impossible to create/change any user accounts.

nLite works the CORRECT way. It takes your XP installation disk, deletes all the components you don't want, removes them from the install scripts and then re-creates a new installation ISO. Not only does it remove the components correctly, it slims down your XP install to sizes I never thought possible.

I tried it recently and have a fresh installation of XP Pro with a 330MB windows folder. If you do this and then disable your redundant services (those that nLite hasn't already removed) using BlackViper's guide, you will have a seriously slim and speedy installation of XP.

I repeat: use nLite, NOT XPLite. You can find it here and I thoroughly recommend it: http://nuhi.<< spam >>/

(I don't know why the link is marked spam - it's nuhi dot msfn dot org .

Gauge

If you are going to use Win 98 DONT use SE there is a gaming crash flaw in it so use first edition 98 and for XP use Home Edition not Pro (or Win 2k) because NT based OS's suck for gaming and Home is 9x based

NO

I disagree, why Windows 98 first edition have several bugs on build is confirmed by Microsoft only verify in Microsoft knowledge base or TechNet, then need uses the Windows98 SE is the logical thing after user updating all in Windows Update website of course; You need remember what Windoes 98 need some tweaks for work better for example: enlarge Files and Buffers on sub-system for better memory management and more...

Choose Windows 2000 Professional.

Its a smarter choice because:

1. Its a more stable version of Windows becasue its the previous NT based OS. More bugs have been fixed due to Service Packs.

2. Its more secure than Windows XP in my opinion.

3. It runs games/multimedia tasks faster than XP does! fact!

4. Its not as bloated as XP is.

I've had excellent luck with Win 98 SE, especially with legacy games.

Windows XP is great for newer games. Just that Simple. Try the dual boot yourself and see how it works for you. That is best, usually. (Y)

Best of luck!

If you are going to use Win 98 DONT use SE there is a gaming crash flaw in it so use first edition 98 and for XP use Home Edition not Pro (or Win 2k) because NT based OS's suck for gaming and Home is 9x based

What??? Ok, two things, i've played lots and lots of games on win98SE, there is no 'gaming crash flaw'... More importatly, both XP home and pro are based on NT, NOT 9x... the final last OS to use 9x was WindowsME.

NT OSs suck for gaming? Not likely. XBOX runs a striped down NT kernel, XP, the most popular gaming OS runs a NT kernel...

Man, im wondering if your post was just fishing for replys and quotes, because you didnt make a single correct point.

ive used everything from 95 upto xp by now and i must say xp is doing the best job by far.

Windows 98 is CRAP for gaming. Nvidia and ATi no longer produce drivers for it, what good is an OS for gaming without up-to-date drivers? Also, newer games require Windows 2000 or XP, look at Thief: Deadly Shadows as a good example. Use 2K Pro or XP, both work great.