Do you think we could use a Music Forum?

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we could use a Music Forum?

• Yes
    • No

I've proposed it before, and I've heard people mention it would be a good idea, but nothing as of yet...

So, I'm making the question a bit more public: Do you think we could use a Music Forum?

I know a lot of people enjoy music and would love to chat about it; possibly even find new music.

I'd even be willing to moderate :D

I certainly enjoy music and on occasion even talking about it, but if they put a Music forum up on Neowin, then why not a Book forum (hey, I love talking about books!). And if that, why not a Science Fiction forum, and an Automobile forum, and a Geneaology forum, and a Medical forum, and... see what I'm going for here?

NeoWin is a computer technology site, not a music one. Other than the Jokes Forum (I occasionally look and post to it, but I'm still not sure why that one is here :) ), all the fora are aimed towards computers and the computer industry. There's a number of excellent discussion sites on the Web that focus on music (both general and specific). Not sure why Neowin would need to compete with them.

So sorry, I vote no.

Agree with StimpyX on this one. While it seems like a nice idea, i think it will eventually get out of hand. As he has said, if we can have a music forum, why not forums on just about any other topic i can think of ? It really isnt necessary and there are tons of sites i can think of that are great to visit for music discussion.

The jokes forum, well... i rarely visit it anyway but we dont want to get away from what this site is really about by adding yet another irrelevant forum. ;)

Well, since you know how I feel, I won't repeat myself.

However, I think that neowin is beyond just a static tech info site. There is human interaction here on a level not seen with other sites. With this sort of real community, you've got to support that community atmosphere. Since A LOT of people here have large varying interests in music, this isn't really a subjective narrowing of the forum structure. I'm talking about adding a place for us neowins to interact on a subject that matters to all of us.

Personally, I don't visit many other message boards and none of the few others are music ones (ArsTechinca and Slashdot :p ). I don't think I'd like to go to a music-specific board, becuase I'm not that heavily involved in music as people at those boards would be and getting involved with a knowledgable crowd on a subjec that is only partially important to me doesn't sound that interesting. Hence, neowin would be the perfect place to have such a forum because I'm comfortable with the people here and I know I won't be shot down becuase I don't remember the third lyric to some band's old b-side....

Simply put, I enjoy the comfort level here, not elsewhere, and I think the variety in such a forum warrants it's existence.

@timdorr

I can't disagree with your reasons why you think a Music forum would be a good thing to have. But I could put forth the same arguments for having a forum on almost any topic. Not just music.

Anyway, I think I'll just watch from the sidelines from here on in and let the membership and admins (but mainly the admins ;) ) decide what's good for Neowin. I'm not seriously against a Music forum, just concerned for what precedent it would set.

That's not even how I'd imagine it. There was crap like that at the something awful forums, but now it's all destroyed.

Please, let's stay FAR away from SA...

This is a computer site I will agree, BUT music has a lot to do with computers. People can get tips on how to make music on the computer, or general mixing tips.

I mean hell just because it's NeoWIN that doesn't mean that you can't discuss more than Windows here cos that would get dull.

the reason why i like the idea is that i see the topic come up quite often in the general discussions forum. i'm usually very interested in the music that others listen to anyway since it opens my mind/ear up to stuff that i might like. especially when you see someone with similiar tastes to you who recommends an artist that you haven't heard of. reminds me of some years ago when a guy raved about Rage Against the Machine, because him and i had similiar tastes in music, i gave them a shot and they became one of my favorite bands...the rules could also be strict, no trading/linking of mp3z, etc. i think it's worth a shot imho.

i also see the other side. if we have music, why not movies or sports or the science of naval lint knitting? i would be in favor of adding a few more forums of general related material, but a strong argument can be made for not doing that.

regardless, i'll keep my fingers crossed.

one other point. i think it's especially tough right now to make the argument that music is not "tech related"considering the battle over copyright infringement and mp3z. personally, i think the music industry is fighting a losing battle against it, and instead of alienating the buying public, they should try to find a way to incorporate the new technology into the industry. this will date me, but i remember them making the same arguments when tapes came out and they said that people will make copies for their friends and the music industry won't survive. you know what? people did make copies for their friends and the industry survived. what amazes me is that the industry hasn't whole heartedly adopted the technology. why not sell, let say, the entire collection of the WHO on couple cd's of high quality mp3z for X amount of dollars and market it?

Joe Smith, from Podunk, Iowa who doesn't have a high speed connection, doesn't know where to get mp3z, doesn't have the time to get them if he did, would probably pay beaucoup bucks to get that. The industries ignorance of the topic and financial possibilities mystifies me.

Now this might be way off the topic, but i don't think it really is, and makes a good example of why we should have the forum. Technology and music are much more closely related than we might think at first glance.

I think it would be a great idea since everytime somebody asks something related to music on the General Discussion forum everyone puts it down. And I know everybody here loves music more than jokes.

When you're happy you listen to music, when you're with your girl you want music, when you're down you like music, when you're high you listen to music, making love, working, eating, drinking, in the bathroom, everywhere, guys everywhere, this should be a great thing why put it down, if you don't like the idea don't go in, but don't put us down when you see a music message on the general discussion forum.

Thanx!

My vote is no... its a technology site... what I would like however is the General forum split into a general and an off topic, where general is for anything that has to do with technology and off topic is anything unrelated or barely related with technology (for example music... yes I know it sort of is but not really)

Originally posted by Keldyn

Agree with StimpyX on this one. While it seems like a nice idea, i think it will eventually get out of hand. As he has said, if we can have a music forum, why not forums on just about any other topic i can think of ? It really isnt necessary and there are tons of sites i can think of that are great to visit for music discussion.

The jokes forum, well... i rarely visit it anyway but we dont want to get away from what this site is really about by adding yet another irrelevant forum. ;)

yeah true. :ermm:

unfortunately, i think there's too much pop music, and other variations of horse sh*t called music going around these days. So i'd vote no, because quite simply, it'd ruin this great site to have to post news about crappy boy bands, and brain numbing Garage music. Sorry, but music has died, and been replaced by a heap of sh*t, i vote no.

I'm voting yes. I think it would be cool to have some nice discussions about your favorite group or song or lyrics and why not, expose your ideas of the many genres of music

I'm a music/movie addict, but I have to agree with the reasons to NOT do this. Find someone with the resources to put up a site of thier own with a set of general entertainment forums. Just not a Good Idea here. The news is still all tech, so should be the forums.