[NFL] Cowboys to release Q. Carter?!

holy crap! I see it too! What in God's name are we doing?!

I have no freaking clue... I'm not a Cowboys fan, but I'm interested in what they do, and this makes NO sense...

From DallasCowboys.com

Quincy Carter Not At Morning Practice

Cowboys starting quarterback Quincy Carter is not at Wednesday's morning practice here at training camp in Oxnard, Calif., and witnesses say they saw him being driven out of the Residence Inn parking just before the start of practice. The club is not commenting on Carter's absence, but obviously will address the matter at head coach Bill Parcells' daily press conference, carried live on DallasCowboys.com at 11:30 (PDT). 

So stay tuned! We shall see. Big shakeups for Big D.

I live near Dallas and there's not much news on it yet... in fact, I haven't seen anything on it yet besides this ESPNEWS thing. I hope they get to working soon and fill us in, or at least post about it on their site :p

There's nothing else on the ESPN site. As said though, on the espnews ticker, there is a static box on the right and it says "Cowboys will release Q. Carter"

I'm kind of wondering about this... for one, Quincy has been taking most of the snaps in practice, but Parcells likes Carter. Why would they be releasing him?

Parcells is also very fond of Tony Romo (third string) for some reason... guess we'll find out if he's moving up, too. But chances are Vinny will be starting and Henson will be second or third string now... I highly, highly doubt he'd be starting QB.

...but this just doesn't make sense.

I was just gonna post what Joe just posted...

Quincy Carter Not At Morning Practice

Cowboys starting quarterback Quincy Carter is not at Wednesday's morning practice here at training camp in Oxnard, Calif., and witnesses say they saw him being driven out of the Residence Inn parking just before the start of practice. The club is not commenting on Carter's absence, but obviously will address the matter at head coach Bill Parcells' daily press conference, carried live on DallasCowboys.com at 11:30 (PDT).

Well I just seen it on the breaking news ticker at the bottom of espn's main channel too. I trust Parcells judgement. I don't know his plan. But I must say Carter isn't to bright. Having said that I don't know who in the world they are going to start now. Vinny? geeez I hope not! I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I'm kind of wondering about this... for one, Quincy has been taking most of the snaps in practice, but Parcells likes Carter. Why would they be releasing him?

Parcells is also very fond of Tony Romo (third string) for some reason... guess we'll find out if he's moving up, too. But chances are Vinny will be starting and Henson will be second or third string now... I highly, highly doubt he'd be starting QB.

...but this just doesn't make sense.

Well, the bottom line is, Carter is obviously NOT the Cowboys long term answer at QB. That's for sure. The question is, whether Testaverde is better. I wouldn't be really upset if they dropped Q, as long as someone can replace him, which....shouldn't be that difficult. Perhaps Henson is impressing people...not to start, but to be #2.

Carter doesn't seem too bright, no, but I don't really think that matters... he can play. He was pretty much told that it's his job to lose at training camp. Apparently he lost it, but I don't see why -- he's been playing good at training camp.

BOOG: I don't think Henson is the one impressing people... I bet it's Romo.

Henson is said to be a very high prospect and that the team was looking at him for the future. Maybe they thought now was the time.

Who is Tony Romo? He is 4th string at best, or 3rd string on the 2nd team. I always believed it would be Carter, Testervede then Henson. Henson is a great athlete, he will do well whenever he gets put in. I remember hearing a quote from Carter about him being the front runner for the starter because he was there last year. Yea well, tell that to John Kitna, you and him can have a beer together and talk about how you SHOULD be starting.

Put in Vinny for the first 6-8 games, if you get blown out or are winning by alot, put in Henson for some snaps. Let Drew take over after that. I believe rushing is more a facotr then who is throwing the ball. Poor Keyshawn, now he is gonna be really ****ed off.

Who is Tony Romo? He is 4th string at best, or 3rd string on the 2nd team. I always believed it would be Carter, Testervede then Henson. Henson is a great athlete, he will do well whenever he gets put in. I remember hearing a quote from Carter about him being the front runner for the starter because he was there last year. Yea well, tell that to John Kitna, you and him can have a beer together and talk about how you SHOULD be starting.

Put in Vinny for the first 6-8 games, if you get blown out or are winning by alot, put in Henson for some snaps. Let Drew take over after that. I believe rushing is more a facotr then who is throwing the ball. Poor Keyshawn, now he is gonna be really ****ed off.

Why are you asking about him if you think he's 4th string at best? Obviously you haven't seen him play... and if you haven't, then I wouldn't make assumptions about him.

Parcells is high on Romo... can't say I blame him. Romo has a good arm and is a pretty quick thinker, too. Unfortunately he didn't get much play in actual games (I believe he was put in twice... one of those times he made an amazing 60 yard pass, if I remember correctly), though. Tony Romo was second string last year, and third string the year before.

How is he "3rd string on the 2nd team"? They have QB's, so either one team only has one QB or he is somehow on another team than the Cowboys :p If you mean secondary, then I have no clue what you're talking about since he's QB.

I'm amazed that you guys are automatically assuming that Henson is going to be so advanced this season, though. He's been away from football for, what, 3 years now? Even if Parcells is seeing something he likes, I don't think he'd give him that much control. Henson will not be the starter... he may not even be second string, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's not. Romo's a stud.

Given what they did with Carter in his first season and Hutchinson in his first season, the Cowboys would be absolutely stupid to do the same thing to Henson. He's good, but he's been away for a while and isn't an amazing talent. He will be good, but he is not good right now... but he's slowly getting there.

It looks to be official.

Wednesday, August 4, 2004

ESPN.com news services

Quarterback Quincy Carter will be released from the Dallas Cowboys, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli has learned, and an official announcement is expected this afternoon.

Carter, a four-year veteran out of Georgia, did not practice with the team Wednesday.

There was no immediate word as to why the Cowboys planned to cut Carter.

Carter, 26, started all 16 games last season, when the Cowboys went 10-6 and got back in the playoffs in head coach Bill Parcells' first year with the club.

Just last week Carter said he expected to be Dallas' starter when the 2004 season opened.

"I wouldn't say it's an open competition," Carter said last Saturday, after the team's first workout. "I'm clearly the starter right now. ... The team knows who their starter is. I'm going to stand firm on that, and I'm going to be their leader."

Indeed, Carter took snaps with the first team when camp opened, and Parcells at first acknowledged that his '03 starter had the advantage.

"He has a leg up on pretty much everybody because he was the guy that played the best and started last year," Parcells told The Associated Press last week. "Obviously I have that in mind. He is in a good position to be improved. And that is what I'm looking for."

However, Parcells has also maintained that no one -- not the incumbent, not a former star like Vinny Testaverde -- is a given in the position. Former New York Yankees player Drew Henson is also competing for the starting spot.

After last season, Parcells gave Carter a list of some things he wanted the quarterback to do during the offseason. Among them was to add muscle, work on certain mechanics and footwork and get better throwing on the run to cut down his high interception total.

Carter added four pounds of muscle, getting to 219 pounds. He's a long way from the pudgy-looking 223-pounder he was when the coach arrived.

Despite the obvious changes, however, it would take time to see if Carter improved on the field the way Parcells expected.

In his first season as the full-time starter -- after splitting the first two seasons with Chad Hutchinson -- Carter threw for 3,302 yards, but had 21 interceptions and 17 touchdowns. He was intercepted at least twice six times.

Thirteen of those interceptions came when he got outside the pocket after a play had broken down.

Carter was a chosen by Dallas in the second round of the 2001 draft.