GRUB entry for Kernel 2.6.8

hd0,5 is the correct entry.

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb6

It is not a kernel issue or anything else with your grub.conf but one line.

vga=0x31a splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hdb5 showopts

Remove it and see if that helps. That line enables resolution change in command line and as well as the splash screen and other custom screen settings during loading or command line use. There is now an issue with this entry that your kernel doesnt like. You will want to edit vga=0x31a. I believe this is the line that is causing you the problem now.

Well back up grub.conf first.

Then remove vga=0x31a. See if that helps...note that removing this line will cause the resolution to kick to 800x600 so you are going to have some giant text. If that doesnt help remove everything after it as well...

Dont delete anything before vga=0x31a, this is needed to load your kernel. Everything after is specific to creating visual effects in the command line only. What caused this to happen may I ask? when did this problem arise?

Reading your errors on the screen shot you posted, looks like you dont have root installed on hdb6. You will need to find out exactly where your partitions are layed out on before diagnosing the problem further.

But my root is on /dev/hdb6

The only other partitions are my NTFS and my Swap.

/dev/hdb1 * 1 60037 30258396 7 HPFS/NTFS

/dev/hdb2 60038 77545 8824032 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)

/dev/hdb5 60038 61052 511528+ 82 Linux swap

/dev/hdb6 61053 77545 8312440+ 83 Linux

Here is a copy of my boot line in grub.conf

root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda6 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317

I am using Gentoo so it might not work in Suse but if you wanted to move to 2.6.8.1 all you would need to do it complile the kernel, copy over the necessary files to /boot and change the kernel entry to relfect the new kernel, there shouldnt be any errors and if you didnt install the new kernel with any patches, it should all be green. My guess would be that you missed a step during compiling your kernel. I dont want to recommend something because I am not using Suse...

This is what I did

make menuconfig

make bzImage

make modules

make modules_install

make install

That is totally different then my steps. In Gentoo:

# make menuconfig

# make modules_install

# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-x.x.x.x-xx

# cp System.map /boot/System.map-x.x.x.x-xx

Then optionally backup your kernel config file, change the entry in grub to reflect the new kernel and reboot. I dont think I can be of much help on your Suse install or your problem. Just to add that you can run as many kernels as you want. You dont need to dump your old kernel if you install a new one. Adding multiple lines in your grub.conf will give you the option to load Linux with whatever kernel you like...sorry I couldnt be of more help, but I would suggest you post your problem at linuxquestions.org's forums, there is quite a lot of knowledgeable people over there...you will have a better chance to get it solved over there.

I did post it at linuxquestions.org

only 1 reply :(

sorry to hear. Suse doesnt have support forums? Onething I found frustrating in Linux, is coming to a problem that you cannot tackle and just dont know where to start looking...

I think reading documentation on how to apply a new kernel in Suse might help. 99% of my problems were due to me not reading or misreading or just plainly getting lazy and just doing the job without clearly reading all the documentation in full...

I would go back to your old kernel and do some heavy reading...and again sorry I couldnt be of more help. Suse was the worst distrobution I tried out of them all (Suse, Mandrake, Fedore Core 2 and finally Gentoo). I would suggest looking into FC2...it was by far the best mainstream easy to use distro. If I had gotten my cdrom working in it, I probably would never have moved to Gentoo, but I am very glad I did...just a really awesome release. A little daunting if you arent a strong power user or have a lot of determination. Took me 4 times to finally get it going properly without screwing something up ;)