gold = 4 points

silver = 2 points

bronze = 1 point

We need some kind of point system where:

gold = 4 points

silver = 2 points

bronze = 1 point

...why?

Each medal is based on the event. At the end the countries are recoginzed for winning events, not winning the olympics over all.

By medal points per capita (population)

Australia? (AUS)

Hungary? (HUN)

Italy? (ITA)

Ukraine? (UKR)

Japan? (JPN)

Turkey? (TUR)

Russia? (RUS)

United States? (USA)

France? (FRA)

China? (CHN)

medals.xls

Interesting that there are conflicting medal tallies online.

For instance, NBCOlympics.com and many other US sites currently claim US as 3rd (8 medals, same as australia and china) http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/index.html?qs=1 . Many Australian sites show the US as 7th (only 1 gold medal) http://abc.net.au/olympics/2004/results/medaltally.htm ... I guess it depends on how you count the order; as one column, for total number of medals regardless of colour, vs a three column sorting, determined by total number of gold, then total number of silver, then total number of bronze. I reckon the latter method sounds more logical.

Are there any other medal tallies in other countries besides the USA where they use the first, oversimplified, and 'inaccurate' method?

Interesting that there are conflicting medal tallies online.

For instance, NBCOlympics.com and many other US sites currently claim US as 3rd (8 medals, same as australia and china) http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/index.html?qs=1 . Many Australian sites show the US as 7th (only 1 gold medal) http://abc.net.au/olympics/2004/results/medaltally.htm

Are there any other medal tallies in other countries besides the USA where they use the first, oversimplified, and 'inaccurate' method?

I think since USA is officially coming 7th, NBC have decided to implement their own method of counting medals.

Sorry USA but your 7th not 3rd.

Who really gives a shyt if the USA is 3rd or 7th? As far as I'm concerned, MEDAL COUNT means medal count. If the USA has 8, which ties them with Australia and China, then there is three countries tied for first. But, because every other country has some sort of stupid bias toward the USA, the have to alter it. If you want it the other way, then call it GOLD COUNT.

But, all this is for naught. It's only been 3 days.

Just so no one draws conclusions, I'm not biased on who wins medals.

Whoever wins medals deserves them.

I just find it pretty comical that NBC has to use a different system to everybody else to make the USA look like they're going better then they are. (although NBC never invented that system, the same results are displayed on the official site, but the results are ordered by points, not amount of medals).

it's not a different system... wtf is everyone talking about? see the far right column in the athens 2004 medal count page? there are 2 ways of ranking the countries. 1 is by gold medals and the other is by total medals, and Athens 2004 has both rankings on the same chart

NBC arent using their own system, it is on the official tally, its arranging the results by medal count, rather then points ranking. Traditionally the medal tally is arranged by points.

I'm sorry that I had to point that out, I couldn't help it, I just found it pretty stupid that a single tallying system can't be used everywhere.

Lets make this the last post on that tangent. NBC can use whatever system that they want.

Yep. I trust the offical tally on Athens2004.com. This games is not only for winning the most medals, but for participating (taking part) in the games and having fun.

doesnt matter, australia is either second or equal first. china is first for now. its only , waht, the 3rd day. theres still many more days to come...

i'd like australia to finish on top of the tally. But seriously wait for the track and field to start, thats when their tally will raise

ohhh and australia just got a gold in womens cycling