[Olympics] USA Basketball VS PR

im impressed with italys team... i like the way basile plays, beautiful shot

Yes Italy look very strong, they nearly lost to New Zealand though 71-69.

The 2004 Olympic basketball tournament is the closest it has been for a long time. It's very had to pick a gold medal winner.

I have so many thing to say about USA basketball.

As the announcers said during the last game (which was misquoted in this thread), their best three point shooter shot 36% during the last NBA season, 47 players shot a better percentage from the three point line that him (Richard Jefferson) and he is the best shooter on Team USA.

One of the best ways to beat the zone is with perimiter shooting.

I really think sending players like Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony really defeats the purpose of sending NBA players, these guys have barely been in the league for one season and have a combined playoff experience of five playoff games and only one win.

What's worse is that these guys are both horrible shooters from everywhere (42% And 32% for Anthony) (41% and 29% for James). Of course you aren't going to beat a zone defense when you can barely hit a jump shot.

I can understand Okafor, the original Dream Team had laettner and neither of them played that much anyhow.

The Spurs have shown that when your perimiter players hit jump shots it opens the lane for Tim Duncan and once you've done that the other team has no chance, just as we'll be seeing next year in San Antonio with Brent Barry.

Interestingly I think it's a better idea to put together the best TEAM if you can't get the best individual players.

It's hard to compare teams now to the original Dream Team but we certainly have more athletic big men then the original team did, imagine a lineup with Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Jermaine Oneal, and Shaquille Oneal.

I don't know what the hell kind of rotation I'd go with but I can sure as hell tell you those guys would cause all kinds of trouble, I'm sure Gregg Popovich could come up with something, he did a good job with Robinson and Duncan when people weren't sure exactly how they could play together.

As I was saying the best TEAM meaning players like Brent Barry who isn't the best shooting guard in the leage, but he sure as hell can bust a zone.

If you can't get the best individual talent (which we clearly didn't) then get the best TEAM....

I'm sure Carmelo will help out in their next game considering he played against the zone 1 year ago with Syracuse. He can help bust the zone defense.

NBC didn't show the game vs greece so i was watching it on cbc. With about 40 seconds to go after greece hit a 3-pointer bringing difference down to 4 or 5 point gap cbc started showing some BS antiques show from the BBC. For **** sakes!!!

edit: found the results on cbc website:

77-71 for US.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/results/basketball/men.html

Edited by Goalie_CA

I still say they should have just sent an actual NBA team (ie. Pistons) and subtracted a few players. That way, you already have chemistry.

Oh well.