Phelps or Thorpe?

My heart says Thorpe but my mind says Hoogeband.

edit: I should add that I wouldn't be surprised to see Hackett upstage one of his more fancied rivals for a medal.

Edited by lethe

My worry is that in the past 3 Olympic interviews with Phelps, he's talked about not being able to sleep. Combine that with how many events he's entered his performance might not be top notch.

Thorpe looked a little nervous at the qualifying heat yesterday. His losses over the past few years may have hit him harder than he let's on. Let's hope he's together and ready to compete.

Hoogeband looks arrogant. The constant vistory dances, the screaming and yelling when he places well is extremely annoying. Thorpe and Phelps were hanging out talking before last nights heat, being fierce but friendly competitors. Hoogeband was giving other swimmers dirty looks. Maybe I'm wrong about him, maybe it's just the cameras catching him at bad times, but if he is as arrogant as he's coming off on camera I hope Thorpe or Phelps dominates him.

phelps is going to win....I can forsee it.

Let's hope Thorpeo miss fires and false starts again. :D

Ati all the way!!!!

??????? :blush:

Oops, thought this was another ati vs nvidia thread.

:blush: I"ll just say Thorpe and slink away. :blush:

SPOILERS!!!!!

W00T!!! GO Aussie Go!!!

1.Thorpe

2.Hoogenband

3.Phelps

4.Keller

5.Hackett

:D

Phelps swam a US record.

Thorpe broke the record for most Olympic medals of all Aussie male Olympians.

Edited by lethe

haha told ya ;) phelps didnt even competed :p

thorpe turned great where van den hoogenband did it bad @ 150m so thorpe just earned the win .. but phelps was WAYYYY overrrated

My worry is that in the past 3 Olympic interviews with Phelps, he's talked about not being able to sleep. Combine that with how many events he's entered his performance might not be top notch.

Thorpe looked a little nervous at the qualifying heat yesterday. His losses over the past few years may have hit him harder than he let's on. Let's hope he's together and ready to compete.

Hoogeband looks arrogant. The constant vistory dances, the screaming and yelling when he places well is extremely annoying. Thorpe and Phelps were hanging out talking before last nights heat, being fierce but friendly competitors. Hoogeband was giving other swimmers dirty looks. Maybe I'm wrong about him, maybe it's just the cameras catching him at bad times, but if he is as arrogant as he's coming off on camera I hope Thorpe or Phelps dominates him.

v/d hoogenband isnt really arrogant, maybe he gave the evil eye because he thought he was being neglected .. phelps vs thorpe? he was the record holder so i find it more arrogant of the media to forget him. imo

Damn it!!!!!!!! CNN....you &*&^(*&^*&^% Right on the front page, it says who won...I wanted to be surprised tonight and see....damn them....

Damn it!!!!!!!! CNN....you &*&^(*&^*&^% Right on the front page, it says who won...I wanted to be surprised tonight and see....damn them....

I wouldn't blame CNN mate, NBC should be ashamed that they don't show the Olympics live, especially for an important race like this.

Good showing! I'm glad Thorpe stepped up and reclaimed his place. I know his previous troubles over the past year have really shaken him (or at least thats what he said in an interview this past weekend). Im so glad the Aussies are kicking ass at the olympics - if I ever left the USA I'd move to Australia in a heartbeat. Good people, beautiful country and a great outlook on global politics. :)

Congrats to Hoogenband on the silver - thats better than I could have done. :

Phelps took bronze, good job there... with time and experience the USA might just gain another uber swimmer out of this kid.

Im so glad the Aussies are kicking ass at the olympics - if I ever left the USA I'd move to Australia in a heartbeat. Good people, beautiful country and a great outlook on global politics. :)

Cheers, good to see that Americans take notice of our great country, although I am not too sure on that last point, little Johnny Howard isn't doing the best job, but I guess he is just following his buddy George Dubya.

On the race, YAY Thorpe! Definately at his best form ever.

yea yea Phelps is good no one can deny that, he will definatly be remembered for a long time. he has his best events coming up (200im and 200fly) where he will win golds in both.

just wondering, is anyone besides me here actually a competitive swimmer?

these olympics have be torn between the TV and the comp :laugh:

and as for the 100, i'll say hoogenband

Thorpe qualified barely in the 8th time for the finals.

I think van den Hoogeband will win the 100m freestyle tomorrow. He is fast as lightning at the moment.