WinXP randomly rebooting

Hey all!!

I have a BIG problem that is realy getting on my nerves... I hope someone can help me coz it s*****.

ANyways here it is, my PC is a:

Amd Athlon XP 1700+

ATi Radeon 8500

256MB-ram PC-2100

Sound Blaster Live!

Western Digital Caviar 40GB ATA100

LG CD-RW

Cable Modem on a network card.

Windows Xp Professional

USB Mouse

PS2 Keyboard

Now my problem is that my computer will randomly reboot at a time or another without any warning. So I was wondering if this is a known issue with WinXP Pro. I have all the available updates for windows XP. Could it be a problem of overheating? Or is it something related to windows?

Well, there is really not much we can tell you from what you have given us, but I can tell you this: Windows XP is actually not just randomly rebooting. You're getting a BSOD. Yes, they do exist in NT/2k/Xp. The thing is, though, that by default, Windows automatically reboots without showing the message, and they are a hell of a lot more rare. Look different too. More than likely, your problems are due to a driver issue. Possibly with the sound card or video card drivers. I've experienced both.

There is however, a way to at least turn off the automatic rebooting so that you can see what is wrong, and from that point can investigate what may be happening with your box.

Do the following:

1) Right click "My Computer" and click "Properties"

-or-

Click "Start", click "Control Panel", click "System"

2) Click the "Advanced" tab

3) Under "Startup and Recovery", click "Settings"

4) Remove the checkmark from the box labled "Automatically restart"

After doing this, procede normally. If possible, see if the reboots happen whenever you do something specific, such as opening an application (If possible, a specific application), clicking the start button repeatedly and quickly, and so forth.

The information gained from this should get you started.

Originally posted by Maniac1181

Tnx A lot for answering that fast!

Now I did it but I dont know yet if it worked so if anyone has any other idea plz tell me all right?!

99% chance it's a BSOD and it restarted since it's random. Notice a program or something having problems right before it restarts? Where a "sorry you're screwed. this program had a prob and it will close now" message showed up? That's when i get my restarts. At first it freaked me when it happened cause i installed XP over ME and it's a gateway PC and i still have a 3 year warranty.

Could also be something that someone is initiating remotely. If your computer goes through the logoff/shutdown process before it reboots, It could be someone messing with you. Someone that has or has gained the appropriate permissions on your machine can shut it down or restart it remotely at will. Not too likely, but still possible.

Check your event log to get a better idea of what's happening.

I have the same problem using Windows XP Corporate on one of my computers. I get a BSOD with the either one of two messages: Memory Management or IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN (or something to that effect)>

It's a self built machine using the following specs:

512 mb RAM (OEM)

AMD Duron 950 mhz

ECS K7S5A motherboard

40 gig WD HD

Creative Live sound card

Voodoo 3 video card

All drivers used are either native Windows XP drivers (those that came with the CD) or are Win XP digitally certified.

The CPU temp is about 125 degrees F and the system temp is about 90 degrees F. I have a heatsink fan on the CPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I remember the IRQ_NOT_LESS than or equal errors, from my Windows 2000 MCSE book. That is most likely a driver problem, as I remember I don't think WinXP was to fond of voodoos.

ab1225

Neowin Tech Support

Dang! That was a quick answer! Thank you. So even tho I am using the voodoo driver that comes with Windows XP that could still be causing the problem? Weird. I appreciate your response. That was very nice of you. Thank you again.

Dude , I have GeForce 2 GTS 64MB and still have the same problem. I just got the Asus A7V333 motherboard plus 524 MB PC3000 and my PC is rebooting all the time. I get the same IRQ problem , if I disable the Auto reboot from the Advanced properties.

I never had this problem with my other PC, adn I am using the same version of XP Pro.

Help !!!

Guys, the common thing between all of you, are your Sound Blaster Lives. I know, because I've had that error myself. Next time you see the error, look for the mention of a file named EMU10K.sys. If it mentions that file, it's one of the files which comprise the SB Live driver. This card is notorius for causing problems, especially with boards which use a Via 686B southbridge. I'm lucky, I've got an older Asus board with a 686A southbridge. Anyway, the SB Live is not totally PCI compliant, hogs the PCI bus, and so forth. BUT, it is possible to get this thing to work without problems. I will also tell you this - all my drivers are WHQL cert drivers. I used only the SB Live sound drivers which came with XP or were updated via Windows Update. I have not installed the Via 4-in-1s, either.

It sounds like there is something wrong with the power supply or you have a virus.

I suggest you run an antivirus scan with two programs (I like Norton & Panda).

If your PC comes back clear of anything then open it up and check the power supply.

Best of luck to you...

-Dead Messiah

I think it's because you're BIOS settings tell it to.

IF you have a motherboard with a monitor (fan speed, temp) then there should be an option for what it does when it's too hot. like reboot, ect.

Check your manaual

If you are having this problem, be sure to disable the auto-restart on Stop errors, then write it down when you get the error. So we can give you a better diagnosis, right now it can be any number of things.

ab1225

Neowin Tech Support

Thank you all for your great responses. As to the SB sound card causing the problem the system was randomly rebooting before I installed the SB Live sound card. Another interesting aspect is that it also happens when I *first* try to either access files or write to the HD from another computer over the LAN I've set-up. I get the same BSOD with the same error message. As soon as I reboot the computer (the one BSOD'ing) and try accessing/writing to the HD from another computer it's fine. Go figure. My guess (and I'm probably wrong) is that it could be a memory leak or bad memory although the same 512 mb pc133 stick works in another machine running Windows XP (but that machine is a PIII with an iWill motherboard). And yes, both machines are virus-free and the definitions are updated regularly. And there is no option in the BIOS for having the system reboot if the system gets too hot. It's just weird. Again, thanks for all your help. I have never had this problem before with any system that I have built. Maybe the system is just possessed...:evil:

ok.. here's the exact error message

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,restart your computer.If this screen appears again, follow this steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, aske your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue,disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to remove or disable components,restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options,and then select Safe mode.

Techincal information:

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000004,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804ED59F)

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete

Originally posted by Sillywabbit

Thank you all for your great responses. As to the SB sound card causing the problem the system was randomly rebooting before I installed the SB Live sound card. Another interesting aspect is that it also happens when I *first* try to either access files or write to the HD from another computer over the LAN I've set-up. I get the same BSOD with the same error message. As soon as I reboot the computer (the one BSOD'ing) and try accessing/writing to the HD from another computer it's fine. Go figure. My guess (and I'm probably wrong) is that it could be a memory leak or bad memory although the same 512 mb pc133 stick works in another machine running Windows XP (but that machine is a PIII with an iWill motherboard). And yes, both machines are virus-free and the definitions are updated regularly. And there is no option in the BIOS for having the system reboot if the system gets too hot. It's just weird. Again, thanks for all your help. I have never had this problem before with any system that I have built. Maybe the system is just possessed...:evil:

Hey sillywabit I get the same problem, and I tried Win Xp without Sound Blaster and smae thing. I get random errors like" can not write in memory location 00000800 " and some stuff like that.

It was also crashing when accesing network, like you said, but I disabled all com+ services and now I dont have that problem, but my PC still reebots from time to time.

What is your CPU temp ? Mine is 59C I have a Athlon XP 2100 .

I checked the BIOS for auto reboot and there is nothing like that.

It runs hotter than my Athlon Tibrd 1GHZ but I saw the charts and this CPU its suppose to run that hot... I guess ???!!

Any suggestions?

Thx guys.

Originally posted by Sillywabbit

CPU temp 54 degress C

System temp 34 degrees C

Yeah mine is

CPU temp 57~59

System temp 37~39

Do you still have the rebbots on your PC?

Did you try disabling the COM + Services?

No I haven't but I will try disabling the COM+ services.

I am just wondering if it's the memory because when i woke up this morning I woke up to the same BSOD I described a few posts ago. I leave the computer running 24/7 and just turn off the monitor and I don't have any of the power saving options enabled.

Just a couple of questions, these networked computers, what file system do they use ? Also was this a clean install or an upgrade ?Do you use Mcafee VirusScan ? Have you run a memory checker ? Have you tried diffrent network card drivers, or a diffrent network card if you have one sitting around ?

How often does this happen ?

This is a difficult problem to corner, since it can be caused by both hardware or software.