[Olympics] Paul Hamm wins Men's all around

Once South Korea gives back Roy Jone's gold medal that was "stolen" from 88 Hamm should give his back :rolleyes:

Seriously, when DOESN'T South Korea complain about medals they should have won? Yet when they have a controversial decision go their way they're as concrete on "we won fair and square" as anyone in a situation like that should be.

Please... just get over it. Every sport has errors. Doesn't mean Hamm should have to give back his medal. And, as others said, if they would have done EVERYTHING correctly, Hamm would have still won.

Ha, yep, that post was made before I did some research on it. And before NBC replayed it with better commentary. Anyways, it was human error, but still jeoperdized the final standings. Paul Hamm should keep his gold, but I think the Korean should have gotten a gold too. It's horrendous to me that the IOC would ask Hamm to give back the gold. That's just wrong, but there's nothing wrong with sharing the gold: they did this in Sydney. I don't understand why the IOC want Hamm to give back the gold... Just create another one and have them share it.

Just a couple of corrections.

It's horrendous to me that the IOC would ask Hamm to give back the gold.

Actually, it was the president of the FIG (International Federation of Gymnastics, in English) that wrote a letter to Paul Hamm asking him (but not demanding) to give up his medal. The IOC has actually stated that they are not going to interfere with the results and believe the whole argument is dead in the water.

That's just wrong, but there's nothing wrong with sharing the gold: they did this in Sydney.

Sydney did not have duplicate golds in any events. At the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, the judging scandal in pairs figure skating where one judge deliberately and intentionally scored the Canadian skaters Jaime Sal? and David Pelletier lower than Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze (obvious wrongdoing was involved), despite the Canadians having a cleaner performance, caused the IOC to award duplicate gold medals to the Canadians.

I don't think Hamm should give the medal back or a 2nd being awarding since the judges made 2 mistakes on the koreans, the 9.9 vs 10.0 start and they did not dock him for 4 hold vs the 3 allowed.

Just a couple of corrections.

Actually, it was the president of the FIG (International Federation of Gymnastics, in English) that wrote a letter to Paul Hamm asking him (but not demanding) to give up his medal. The IOC has actually stated that they are not going to interfere with the results and believe the whole argument is dead in the water.

Sydney did not have duplicate golds in any events. At the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, the judging scandal in pairs figure skating where one judge deliberately and intentionally scored the Canadian skaters Jaime Sal? and David Pelletier lower than Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze (obvious wrongdoing was involved), despite the Canadians having a cleaner performance, caused the IOC to award duplicate gold medals to the Canadians.

Oops. My bad. Well, you get the general gist of my statements.

Well, after reading a few posts, i have some comments. First, Hamm fell flat on his face which is abit funny, yet angry that he gotten the gold medal for that. Second, this is why im not going to watch the next olympics because its always something going on with the dopings and scandals and third, the IOC should just make a second copy of the gold medal and give it to Yang because it was human error.

Many koreans ( not speaking on all koreans in general ) think Hamm should give the gold back because Yang started out with a low score to begin with and would've won if the game was set properly.

Still, they should still make another gold medal and give Yang that one. I wonder how they fix the problem at the 2002 Winter games when the russians took the gold and was it canada?, who gotten bronze or silver was it?

And i do know there are other koreans on this site besides myself, so how come you guys arent backing me up...always hiding behind the computers and letting me get argued by everyone else.....?

Well, after reading a few posts, i have some comments. First, Hamm fell flat on his face which is abit funny, yet angry that he gotten the gold medal for that. Second, this is why im not going to watch the next olympics because its always something going on with the dopings and scandals and third, the IOC should just make a second copy of the gold medal and give it to Yang because it was human error.

Many koreans ( not speaking on all koreans in general ) think Hamm should give the gold back because Yang started out with a low score to begin with and would've won if the game was set properly.

Still, they should still make another gold medal and give Yang that one. I wonder how they fix the problem at the 2002 Winter games when the russians took the gold and was it canada?, who gotten bronze or silver was it?

The Korean would have lost anyway becuse he did 4 holds when only alowed 3

The Korean would have lost anyway becuse he did 4 holds when only alowed 3

Funny how I never see that in any article ever on the internet. If more people knew that, then this would not be such a big of story.

Well, after reading a few posts, i have some comments. First, Hamm fell flat on his face which is abit funny, yet angry that he gotten the gold medal for that. Second, this is why im not going to watch the next olympics because its always something going on with the dopings and scandals and third, the IOC should just make a second copy of the gold medal and give it to  Yang because it was human error.

Oh please.

Do you honestly know how many times South Korea has complained about being unfairly rewarded for their efforts? This isn't the first time. Look it up -- search Google and you will find plenty of times. Also, you guys give Roy Jones Jr. a duplicate of the gold medal that he should have recieved for beating a South Korean (rather obviously) in the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, then we'll talk.

Secondly, you obviously don't pay attention, because someone already brought up the fact that if we were going by "correct" scores and rules that Yang would have been disqualified for his routine for violating the rules. Funny how that works out, no?

Third, the situation in the Winter Olympics is a completely different situation entirely. For one, a judge was bribed. That didn't happen, from what we know, in this all-around. Next, the Russians wouldn't have been disqualified if they were going to the "correct" scores and rules, unlike Yang, who would be disqualified.

This is getting a bit old. We know you're patriotic of your heritage... but sometimes enough is enough. :sleep:

Koreans are the first to complain when they got "robbed", but when they unfairly win the medals, they say errors are errors and they can't change it. Funny how their views change according to what benefits them.

Koreans are the first to complain when they got "robbed", but when they unfairly win the medals, they say errors are errors and they can't change it. Funny how their views change according to what benefits them.

oh shut up please....

Oh please.

Do you honestly know how many times South Korea has complained about being unfairly rewarded for their efforts? This isn't the first time. Look it up -- search Google and you will find plenty of times. Also, you guys give Roy Jones Jr. a duplicate of the gold medal that he should have recieved for beating a South Korean (rather obviously) in the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, then we'll talk.

Secondly, you obviously don't pay attention, because someone already brought up the fact that if we were going by "correct" scores and rules that Yang would have been disqualified for his routine for violating the rules. Funny how that works out, no?

Third, the situation in the Winter Olympics is a completely different situation entirely. For one, a judge was bribed. That didn't happen, from what we know, in this all-around. Next, the Russians wouldn't have been disqualified if they were going to the "correct" scores and rules, unlike Yang, who would be disqualified.

This is getting a bit old. We know you're patriotic of your heritage... but sometimes enough is enough. :sleep:

There is no such thing as having too much.

So why wasnt this korean guy given a copy of the gold medal like the winter olympics?

There is no such thing as having too much.

So why wasnt this korean guy given a copy of the gold medal like the winter olympics?

Mistakes by a judge are expected as part of sports. Intentional deceit is not. Pretty clear there. You wonder why the other Koreans don't have your back? You think maybe because they can see this for what it really is and disagree with you? Or do you think that all people of the same race should automatically support each other?

Digitaholic, please let it go. By your reasoning, Yang should have won because the judges messed up on his score, and yet you ignore the other side, where they did not give him an even larger deduction for his job on the parallel bars.

If you want Hamm to give him the gold, then I want Yang to give up his Bronze, because he wouldn't have even received it had the judges been correct...he would have been in 4th place.

Mistakes by a judge are expected as part of sports. Intentional deceit is not. Pretty clear there. You wonder why the other Koreans don't have your back? You think maybe because they can see this for what it really is and disagree with you? Or do you think that all people of the same race should automatically support each other?

well, i go to a predominant asian school, most of my friends or all are asian and i live in a predominant rich asian/white community , so yea, asians support each other.

well, i go to a predominant asian school, most of my friends or all are asian and i live in a predominant rich asian/white community , so yea, asians support each other.

That is a racist point of view don't you think? To beleive that a member of one race should support another member based solely on their race and not whether they are right or wrong? I don't support all German-Irish-Puerto Rican-Americans I know just becuase I am one of them...

Nice to see you're admitting to being a racist and also speaking for other Asians. I will now on hate Asians because they hate me.

Fair enough?

Dude, it's fine that you support your friends. But stop tainting the facts with the race card -- it's quite possibly the most stupid and overused argument I've ever seen (not talking about your postings, per se, but when people bring out the race card over stupid things).

Your questions on why the Canadian team were rewarded gold medals have already been answered time and time again.

Well, thats how asians are. We support each other in any trouble or situations.

That is not true. You don't know the Koreans that I know and I have to say that they don't support a fellow Asian simply becuase they are Asian. I hope one day you will see just how narrow minded and racist you really are. Quit hanging out at the angryasian site and explore a bit of diversity.