Racist Judge comments chinese female diver...

what do you think i see as negative? i DO NOT see having flat feet as negative, and i have never said that. i DID say that i see diving badly was a negative thing. are you saying you like to dive badly? i dunno, but i would like to dive well rather than suck at it.

and dont put words in my mouth please, i can do it just fine. i never said anything even close to "that the soles of your feet are basically the only important thing in the diving" (as you claim I said at some point)....why would i say that? that's stupid. the reason i'm only talking about feet is because that's what this whole topic was about from the beginning. are you saying i should just randomly say something like "well, chinese have short legs and that makes their diving suck"? what the hell, i'm getting flamed for staying on topic :wacko:

i still say that being adapt to the sun isnt generally considered as important as diving well, especially when it comes to the context of the summer olympic games, which this quote was relating to.

Well, if it affects how they dive then why wouldn't the person mention it? Obviously they can compensate for this, too, so it's not like anyone is coming out and saying "OMG LKE IF YU HAV FLT FIIT U SUK!!!!!1111". If it affects their diving, so what? They're Olympians, deal with it -- I'm sure if it's true (which, again, I don't know if it is) they do. Did you ever think that maybe the person was stating that it was affecting them on that one dive only, and not the other dives? Obviously the person never said a certain ethnicity dived poorly.

I never claimed you said that. You implied it, however. You implied that they're much more important than endurance. Please stop talking in circles if you're going to accuse me of putting words in your mouth. Here, let me break it down for you... this is exactly what you said:

"your comparison with the sun and the color of people's skin isn't really equivalent to this situation. people dont really strive to be "adapt to the sun". there's no international sport of laying out in the sun and seeing who doesnt get a sunburn."

So, basically you're saying is that people try to adapt their feet. No? Then be more specific, because it certainly doesn't make sense any other way.

"are you saying i should just randomly say something like "well, chinese have short legs and that makes their diving suck"? what the hell, i'm getting flamed for staying on topic"

Now you're just wildly going off-topic. I have no clue what you're even trying to imply there.

And being adapt to the sun is very important in almost any outdoor sport. VERY important... trust me. If you don't, then do what I said and look it up.

Well, i just reported some people on this topic. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to see who i reported. :D

Pretty sure all the people who needed to be reported have been reported about 50 times by now... oh well, 51 can't hurt. :laugh:

:)

its not racist to say most asian people have flat feet if they do, nor is it if to say flat feet causes bad preformance at whatever sport they were at(i cant remember what you said it was at the begining of this thread, gymnastics i think :unsure: ) if it is statistically proven that people with flat feet do worse at that sport, its mearly a fact then.

thats my thoughts on the subject

its not racist to say most asian people have flat feet if they do, nor is it if to say flat feet causes bad preformance at whatever sport they were at(i cant remember what you said it was at the begining of this thread, gymnastics i think :unsure: ) if it is statistically proven that people with flat feet do worse at that sport, its mearly a fact then.

thats my thoughts on the subject

No, I brought up Gymnastics as a counter-point.

I have NOT heard the original comment and though it is technically racist, I highly doubt it was said with the intent of putting down the Chinese. Perhaps the commentator said (or meant to say) that the particular diver had flat feet and as such lacked spring? As someone has already said, it's more a stupid comment than a truly racist one. It's not the first time this kind of comment has come up and it surely won't be the last:

- During WW2, the Americans were convinced that a bombing campaign by the Japanese would fail miserably because it was believed the shape of asian eyes prevented the Japanese from aiming properly... naturally, Pearl Harbour cleared up that little misconception.

- Also during WW2, it was quite commonly accepted that black pilots couldn't possibly compete with caucasian pilots because it was believed they had smaller blood vessels going to the brain and so would black out during high-G manoeuvres. Of course, this was just plain ridiculous and in fact, the black squadrons of WW2 boasted some of the highest kill ratios and successful mission counts.

Overall, it's simply not worth getting your knickers in a twist.

oh, i guess it was driving. shouldnt make any difference. if they've got proff to back it up, the comment is valid. though for driving, that would be pretty hard to prove

So, basically you're saying is that people try to adapt their feet. No? Then be more specific, because it certainly doesn't make sense any other way.

And being adapt to the sun is very important in almost any outdoor sport. VERY important... trust me. If you don't, then do what I said and look it up.

no, that's not basically what i'm saying....what i'm saying is that people try to dive well. that's all. people try to dive well in the olympics, that's all. i'm sorry if you couldnt interpret my post correctly.

oh, and btw, i haven't been watching the olympics this year but in past olympics and frankly every last diving competition i have ever seen has been inside. that's why i'm saying being adapt to the sun doesnt matter as much as just diving well, especially when it comes to the olympics and especially when it comes to diving in the olympics. of course, i could be wrong and maybe they're holding the diving outside this time, but i would be surprised....

but anyways, now that both of us are horribly off-topic and we're not gettign anywhere and i agree that we are talking in circles (not just me, but we), i'm going to (at least attempt to) stop posting in this thread. we'll see :p

i am chinese and I take that offensly :crazy:

I got a few rides with a Chinese guy on highways in Korea. After a few near-death experiences, I can honestly say it's not Chinese that drive crazy! As far as the feet go, all the Chinese people I know run just fine.

:D

no, that's not basically what i'm saying....what i'm saying is that people try to dive well. that's all. people try to dive well in the olympics, that's all. i'm sorry if you couldnt interpret my post correctly.

oh, and btw, i haven't been watching the olympics this year but in past olympics and frankly every last diving competition i have ever seen has been inside. that's why i'm saying being adapt to the sun doesnt matter as much as just diving well, especially when it comes to the olympics and especially when it comes to diving in the olympics. of course, i could be wrong and maybe they're holding the diving outside this time, but i would be surprised....

but anyways, now that both of us are horribly off-topic and we're not gettign anywhere and i agree that we are talking in circles (not just me, but we), i'm going to (at least attempt to) stop posting in this thread. we'll see :p

It's hard to interprit something correctly when it loses its train of thought halfway through the first sentence.

And, as I said, people try to dive well. People also try to gain endurance. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at by saying people try to dive well, because it's obvious. People also try to gain endurance -- heck, what do you think doping in higher altitudes does? It adds endurance.

I wasn't referring to endurance as for diving, but for sports in general. It was a comparison of different things, not the same thing.

And I'll stop posting too, I suppose :)

Tonight I was bored so I decided to catch a little of the Olympics on TV. So I watch Lao Lishi, a diver for the China team, and it looked like she wasn't performing the best and all. But then I hear a woman commentator criticizing her saying she didn't perform her diving really well because of her flat feet. And then she says that it's a flaw or something that Chinese people have because of that. So I guess it's because of that, that Chinese divers can't get that extra 'umph' when jumping off the diving board eh?

ROFL this thread is great.

The commentator was probably refering to the fact when the diver entered the water, her feet were flat insted of pointed. How they run their sports in china is every one is taught exactly the same way. She was probabley refering to the system and she ment it was flawed becuse they doent spend enough attention on pinted feet or such.

she didn't perform her diving really well because of her flat feet. And then she says that it's a flaw or something that Chinese people have because of that.

That statement isn't racist. It's just probably an uneducated, false statement.

I heard the comment, on NBC, and the analyst was trying to say something else. She was trying to say that while the diver was curled up in a "tuck" or ball, instead of pointing her ankles and toes in a straight line, she kept them curled in towards her shins. Therefore he feet were "flat" and not in the proper "pointed" position for the dive. The term "flat" was not being used to describe the arch of the diver's foot, but rather the incorrect positioning of her feet in the dive.

ROFL this thread is great.

The commentator was probably refering to the fact when the diver entered the water, her feet were flat insted of pointed. How they run their sports in china is every one is taught exactly the same way. She was probabley refering to the system and she ment it was flawed becuse they doent spend enough attention on pinted feet or such.

HAHA, beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Nothing like a good old fashioned Digi-witch hunt, for racism. I've missed you buddy.

I say you all write NBC and complain if you take offense. You know if Kobe said all white women had flat feet, you all would be going nuts!!! :laugh:

ROFL .... I read that entirely wrong. I thought this was refering to asian drivers .... :blush:

:rofl: same here

i did'nt hear that.. but there was another thing that did **** me off, and that was mixing polotics w/ sports..

it was right after the 10,000m run where haile was supposed to go for this 3rd gold medal in the same event. well he came in 4th, but two other ethiopians came in first and second..

at the end the commentater was talking about how he was supposed to win and how no one else has achieved what he's done.. blah blah.. then he had to go and add the words "a troubled continent" (africa) :crazy:

I got a few rides with a Chinese guy on highways in Korea. After a few near-death experiences, I can honestly say it's not Chinese that drive crazy! As far as the feet go, all the Chinese people I know run just fine.

:D

oh, so now its koreans that cant drive huh? You know hard it would be to drive in korea? Unless you're comfortable with driving around tight spots, then its gonna be a pain if you're a first time driver in korea. Korea has narrow roads unlike in america where the roads are more easier to drive where its widen out...

Here is dictionary.com's definition of racism: The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

Even if the commentator meant to say (which she did not) that chinese have flat feet and therefore do not perform as well, this does not count as racism. (Note the second part of the defintion above).

I will however add (albeit ignorantly), that asian female drivers suck.

thats not racist

most Chinese people do have flat feet, just like most Polish have blond hair.

there is nothing wrong with that

oh, so now its koreans that cant drive huh? You know hard it would be to drive in korea? Unless you're comfortable with driving around tight spots, then its gonna be a pain if you're a first time driver in korea. Korea has narrow roads unlike in america where the roads are more easier to drive where its widen out...

Dude, chill. Seriously.

I'm as against racism as anyone, but now you're taking things people say, and twisting them. He said what he said with good intention.

There was side convorsation about Chinese drivers, and he clearly came and said, "It's not the chinese who drive crazy". Who cares what else he said, he was making an effort (albeit maybe a bit misguided).

You need to calm down.

Not everyone in the world is out to insult other people with their every statement.

thats not racist

most Chinese people do have flat feet, just like most Polish have blond hair.

there is nothing wrong with that

Most chinese have flat feet? I never knew that and i am chinese... ;) I can still run 100m in about 11-12 seconds and i know i dont have flat feet neither do most of my other asian friends.