What Is your Favorite Alternative OS and Why

gentoo, cause portage is the best!

Beat me to it :D

Gentoo seems to hard for me.

The install is time consuming (if you do a stage 1), but other than that it's simple IMO.

Installation has a huge guide that covers all areas (unless you have some non-standard hardware), and after that it's usually one command to do anything.

Heh, I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'll say Win98 is actually a decent "alternative OS" now, especially with something like 98lite removing stuff... it'll boot and run stably for a lot of tasks on a P/100 laptop and it can make an Athlon XP 3200+ feel like a 3500+ for a few seconds :-P. Aside from that, Debian. Debian everywhere. Debian makes my babies. Never mind the 2 year gestation period...

Edit: And OS/2 Warp (3, never played with 4 - I've got a box full of XDF floppies for 3 :no:) had the coolest shell, evar, in my opinion.

BeOS Developers Edition for sure, its rock solid, and everthing except the wireless card works on my new Centrino laptop.

where can I get it? are you refering to the max edition?

My favourate alternative OS is "Windows XP Professional" (dunno if anyone's heard of it before?). This guy called bill came up with the idea and it's easy to use and has a lot of software support!

:p

My favourate alternative OS is "Windows XP Professional" (dunno if anyone's heard of it before?). This guy called bill came up with the idea and it's easy to use and has a lot of software support!

:p

yeah i have heard of that.... i think its the best. is should get very popular, soon

:woot:

Gentoo 2004.2 Stage 1 Install.

Though Id love to use SkyOS 5, Too bad it costs 30$. << semi-serious request for 'donation' (a.k.a. 'warez') edited out. >>

Edited by markjensen

Slax and Yoper. Slax is the one I use for data recovery on Windows systems. The new Yopers are nice too, I use it for whatever else when not on XP. :yes: