First Geforce 6 Go Benchmark on the web

First Geforce 6 Go Benchmark on the web

As we know already Nvidia announced their Mobile PCI Express Module (MXM) technology which provides a design specification for upgradeable graphics in a notebook. This was announced on May 17. Nvidia demoed their MXM technology at the recently concluded IDF. ComputerBase.de managed to get hold of the first Geforce 6 Go benchmark.

The notebook tested was running on the new i915 chipset (Alviso) and was equipped with a Dothan 570J running at 1.87GHz and 533FSB. The graphics module in the notebook was a 6600GT Go.

bench.png

Here is a Doom 3 bench of the new ATi Mobility Radeon 9800 (based on X800) in a Dell Inspiron XPS with a P4 3.2GHz EE.

bench3.png

Although Doom 3 is not the perfect bench to compare cards, its a good stress test for new generation of video cards. As you can see from the above two benches, a 6600GT Go matches a Mobility Radeon 9800. Both the cards sport 8 pipes.

The interesting part is that the 6600GT Go may not the flagship product from Nvidia. As listed in this document from Nvidia, there are going to be three types of MXM modules:

• MXM-I (Thin & Light Notebooks)
  • MXM-II (Mainstream Notebooks)
  • MXM-III (Desktop Replacement Notebooks)

chart.png

Image Courtesy HotHardware

Your thoughts ? :)

they basically run the same then, right?

doesn't the Nvidia have better support for new standards seen in the 6800

They run the same but I am comparing ATi's flagship mobile gpu vs Nvidia's mainstream gpu.

About the second part, if you mean SM3.0 then yes.

I find it hilarious how every nvidia benchmark uses Doom 3 and Doom 3 only now. Benchmark Far Cry or pretty much any other D3D game and the mobility 9800 will, for lack of a better word, own the Geforce 6 Go.

MXM is mobile bliss. It's about time we can buy/change our GPU's in laptops easy.

ATI has been doing this for more then a year already.

I find it hilarious how every nvidia benchmark uses Doom 3 and Doom 3 only now.

Nvidia has a considerable lead in Doom 3 and they will use only that bench to promote their products. What did you expect ? :huh: I know its unfair bench but still thats what we got right now.

Benchmark Far Cry or pretty much any other D3D game and the mobility 9800 will, for lack of a better word, own the Geforce 6 Go.

Granted that the Mobility 9800 will own the Geforce 6 6600GT Go but what about the 12 pipe mobile flagship product from Nvidia ?

ATI has been doing this for more then a year already.

Yes, ATi was the first to the market with upgradeable graphics modules (AXIOM) but not more than a year considering they launched it 4 months ago. :rolleyes:

Nvidia has a considerable lead in Doom 3 and they will use only that bench to promote their products. What did you expect ?  I know its unfair bench but still thats what we got right now.
You're preaching to the choir buddy.
Granted that the Mobility 9800 will own the Geforce 6 6600GT Go but what about the 12 pipe mobile flagship product from Nvidia?

I have yet to see that.

Yes, ATi was the first to the market with upgradeable graphics modules (AXIOM) but not more than a year considering they launched it 4 months ago.

Incorrect. AXIOM is ATI's first standardized interface for laptops. They have had upgradable platforms that differed depending on the manufacturer for quite awhile now. Alienware's laptops have been using upgradable graphics modules from ATI for alot longer then four months. Only thing was they were propriatory.

Here is a Doom 3 bench of the new ATi Mobility Radeon 9800 (based on X800)

uhm, I didnt know they called it 9800 when its based off of the X800 core.

that is a 9800, not an X800 core

uhm, I didnt know they called it 9800 when its based off of the X800 core.

that is a 9800, not an X800 core

As indicated earlier, the ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 is based on the R420 core, which powers ATI's latest X800 line of GPUs. In the past, naming may have been a bit of a stretch in terms of comparing mobile graphics solutions with their desktop counterparts, but this time around, the MR9800 bests the desktop 9800 cards in feature set (and doesn't fall that incredibly far behind in performance as we'll soon see).

The MR9800 actually supports all the features of the Radeon X800, as it is simply a cut down version of the chip with some enhanced power management features. The real difference between current X800 GPUs on the market and MR9800 is in pixel/vertex pipelines featured. The new mobile chip has 8 pixel pipes and 4 vertex pipes. This also makes the MR9800 look more like a desktop 9800 in fillrate and processing power per clock cycle (though the R420 core will be more efficient).

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2171&p=2

Ah but also remember that the MR 9800 due to it's high power requirements currently can only be had in DTR notebooks which use Pentium 4 Processors and desktop chipsets, not to mention are heavy as well.

The GF6 Go is benchmarked off a Centrino Platform so you should give it some credit and it is running at 1.87Ghz compared to 3.2Ghz HT P4.

how is power consumption of the gf6go's in comparision to the fx series?

i was blown back when i read the initial power requirements of the 6800 ultra... wondering how its improved since then

how is power consumption of the gf6go's in comparision to the fx series?

i was blown back when i read the initial power requirements of the 6800 ultra... wondering how its improved since then

Look at the chart in my first post:

MXM-I Upto 18W

MXM-II Upto 25W

MXM-III Upto 35W