Your fastest boot time

When my PC was brand new it took about 10-15 seconds to start; now though, i've got everything I need on it and its more like 25 seconds.

I think I may try the prefetch clear out thing, but I've also got that problem where it takes you about a minute to shut down.

:( :blink:

mine takes about 15-20 secs. 5secs for post and the dos stuff, then 15 to load windows + auto-logon. :D

Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM SATA, 1.67GHz Athlon XP, XP Pro SP1, 512MB PC2700 DDR Ram; slow i know, but upgrades comin sooooon :D

on a fresh install it can do it under 10secs. that shows how gd a fresh SATA drive is :D :D :D :D!!!!

First thing it takes 2 sec at dos post screen, then another 2 sec at blank screen before XP startup screen, 1 sec (barely 1 loop) at XP startup screen, then another 2 sec of blank screen before the windows classic logon, so about 7 sec to boot up entire windows not counting logon screen because I'm there the instant the desktop loads, but since I'm the only user of my own personal custom built PC and have autologon enabled, I would have to say it takes about 3 sec to reach the desktop. So if you add all that up, it takes about 10 sec to reach the desktop after I turn on my PC, I also have specs to my PC listed below as well, have a look if you want. :happy:

<u>My PC Specs:</u>

Windows XP Pro SP1

Biostar M7NCD v3.0 with nFORCE2 400

AMD Athlon 1.6 GHz

128MB system ram

40GB hard disk (3 partitions, 12.7GB each)

Sony CDX140E CD-RW drive

Gateway VX700 on NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 AGP 64MB video card

Current Resolution: 1152x864 pixels with 32-bit color and 85Hz

Max Resolution: 1600x1200 pixels with 32-bit color and 60Hz

• 1 month later...

I'm I the only one who keeps a log of his boot time??

my average for the past 25 days has been 42.3sec (from the second I push the button, until all apps have loaded and is 100% funtional)

used to be like 15 or so... but that was before I instaled the anti-vrius, firewall, Twak XP and SP2.

hey... as long as it's less that a min... it's ok.

Mine takes about 1 minute, from the time I push the button to start the computer and the time windows is fully operational.

How the hell do you guys get 20 seconds? I mean, I have a high-end desktop system, yet I get one minute to start it.

My system is : Athlon XP 3000+, ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, 512 MB RAM, Motherboard A7N8X-X, nForce2 chipset, 200 GB hard drive, about 2 USB devices.

I have Norton antivirus 2005, catalyst 4.10 w/ control panel and some other drivers.

Is there any way I could get a 30 seconds boot time with this? :unsure:

Or do you guys even shut down the PC, or you use the hibernate mode or whatever it is called? (I remember using it like 1 time in my life! lol)

just less than a minute, always around 50seconds to a minute. before it used to be a lot faster but now i have to wait for mouse and keyboard to start working (dinovo).

OSX only takes about 15 seconds to load to the logon screen and then about 7 till its up and running on my laptop...the POST equivalent seems to take alot longer on MACs than on PCs though

Mine takes about 1 minute, from the time I push the button to start the computer and the time windows is fully operational.

How the hell do you guys get 20 seconds? I mean, I have a high-end desktop system, yet I get one minute to start it.

My system is : Athlon XP 3000+, ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, 512 MB RAM, Motherboard A7N8X-X, nForce2 chipset, 200 GB hard drive, about 2 USB devices.

I have Norton antivirus 2005, catalyst 4.10 w/ control panel and some other drivers.

Is there any way I could get a 30 seconds boot time with this? :unsure:

Or do you guys even shut down the PC, or you use the hibernate mode or whatever it is called? (I remember using it like 1 time in my life! lol)

584868495[/snapback]

"I have Norton antivirus 2005" - you answered your own question

ya remove norton

get 1 gig of ram

put swap on another drive

turn off all unneeded services

uncheck all unnecessary programs from starting up

my boot time is around 20-25 seconds, but then again, i had reformated recently, 1 month ago.

about 50 secs for mine - would be less if I didn't have a password - reduced it quite a bit now since I have 0 icons in my systray for windows to worry about (also found that I have more system resources to play with due to this. It was a little disconcerting at first when I dont see McAfee/sygate protecting my computer, but once their popups came up I was happy :) )

and the whole Norton package is the most resource hungry program I've had on my machine and dont plan in EVER using it again.

how do you get it to such speeds as 12 seconds :huh:

that is just crazy!.. i want i want i want

mine takes about a minute or 2 to fully load :(

AMD 1600XP

1GB SDRAM

7200RPM 40GB HDD

Windows XP SP1

Is my system slugish for that kinda speed?

584592158[/snapback]

I'd have to say yes, as those specs are higher than 4 systems I'm currently playing with and none of them take a full minute. In fact, one of those systems in an ancient Packard Bell with XP Pro, SP2, and a meager 333mhz Cyrix cpu, 384MB memory, that doesn't take that long.