Microsoft reveals Windows XP Starter Edition boxes

So they make it look like Windows 98?

I thought the whole point of the kiddish style of Luna was part of the 'ease of use' of Windows XP. A big green start button that a blind person would be lucky to miss.

This is bad marketing at it's best.

I'll be surprised if people waste a blank cd to even pirate this crap.

Well considering their PCs will be like Pentium 2s and what not. Keeping it light would help.

I heard that it was beign sold for $20 or somthing in an attempt to stem Windowas XP pairacy. Good idea but really, even though i wouldnt call myself a 'advanced XP user' i do use some of the 'more advanced features' of XP.

Do you think this thing will replace Home Edition as OEM? becuse that would be UGLY!!!

Browni

Anyone have the wallpapers by chance? I remember going to KL, never thought about having a wallpaper of it. Hopefully they have a 1024x768 version :p

I think the 800x600 limitation is a bit much - 1024x768 would have been far more sensible.

Oh, and Luna.

I have a feeling that this has been posted before.

Edited by _//_TechTV

Do you think this thing will replace Home Edition as OEM? becuse that would be UGLY!!!

Why not? It's better to get people to bundle this rather than GNU/Linux or nothing at all.

List of limitations I can find, feel free to add more.

• 128 MB of RAM maximum
  • 40 GB maximum hard disk space
  • Display resolution set to 800x600 maximum
  • No support for PC-to-PC home networking
  • Establish multiple user accounts on a single PC.
  • So basically no networking at all except Internet Access

I personnally think this is quite a limiting set of requirements.

What if some schools has been donated, or user has got, a second hand PC with 256MB RAM and an 80GB HD, can it be used on that computer?

If they are trying to use this to stop piracy (Of XP Home / Pro) then I think they have gone the wrong way about it.

surely MS dont believe this edition will kick up sales in East-Asian countries where piracy cost practically nothing.

$1 for XP pro with corp key now thats priceless :D

first-time home PC users can have up to three programs and three windows per program running concurrently.

That's completely insane! So what, they can run Paint, Calculator, Notepad and if they try to open Media Player (does it even have such 'advanced' stuff?) it wont run?

List of limitations I can find, feel free to add more.
  • 128 MB of RAM maximum
  • 40 GB maximum hard disk space
  • Display resolution set to 800x600 maximum
  • No support for PC-to-PC home networking
  • Establish multiple user accounts on a single PC.
  • So basically no networking at all except Internet Access

I personnally think this is quite a limiting set of requirements.

What if some schools has been donated, or user has got, a second hand PC with 256MB RAM and an 80GB HD, can it be used on that computer?

If they are trying to use this to stop piracy (Of XP Home / Pro) then I think they have gone the wrong way about it.

insane. why those are far too strict, the software should be software handicapped, not hardware

Its not about saving money. Its about making the interface easy and familiar to get used to. You're talking to people who's probably never used a computer in their life. You don't want to hit them with MSStyles on their first run.

So what about in other natiosn, where many home pCs are still first timers particulalrly for older users, they manage to get by just fine with all the included extras.

IMHO - This is more to do with reducing price without making the same product available for less in these countries, it quite simply wouldn't be a good move for MS to release an operating system in say the UK/US at a high price while releasing the same product for pennies in other countries. I accept that this happens to a degree anyway - between UK/US prices, but an extreme reduction would create outrage, and probably increase imports from other nations into US/UK.

Just a thought.

What about a maximum resolution of 800 x 600?

I'm surprised that they included support for sound. Who is going to actually buy this junk?

Junk, yes Junk is what it is.

HUH! :)

Anyone have the wallpapers by chance? I remember going to KL, never thought about having a wallpaper of it. Hopefully they have a 1024x768 version :p

Same here :yes: