'Europe's biggest mushroom' found

Swiss scientists have found what they say may be Europe's biggest mushroom - covering an area about the size of 35 football pitches.

Spanning 35 hectares (86 acres), the mostly underground fungus is believed to be 1,000 years old, the WSL added.

The Honey Mushroom (Armillaria ostoyae) is edible, but it can kill trees.

Source : BBC News

--

Not sure I'd want to eat a 1,000 year old fungus. :x

and thats just europe? :o

how big its the world biggest?

The Swiss fungus is considerably smaller than another Honey Mushroom growing in the US.

Found in the Malheur national forest in Oregon, that fungus covers 890 hectares (2,200 acres) - making it the largest living organism ever discovered.

Swiss scientists have found what they say may be Europe's biggest mushroom - covering an area about the size of 35 football pitches.

Spanning 35 hectares (86 acres), the mostly underground fungus is believed to be 1,000 years old, the WSL added.

The Honey Mushroom (Armillaria ostoyae) is edible, but it can kill trees.

Source : BBC News

--

Not sure I'd want to eat a 1,000 year old fungus. :x

can you smoke that thing? :fro: :whistle: :shifty:

Most people don't realize that most of a mushroom is underground and unseen. The part of a mushroom you see is just it's reproductive system. Yep, that's what we eat folks.

so, basicaly what you say is that we're eating the clitoris of the mushrooms? :p

I'm gonna call domino's and order a clitoris dominator... :whistle: :shifty:

It's actually edible, but is harmful to trees.

...the Honey Mushroom (Armillaria ostoyae) is edible, but it can kill trees...

At that size, I think there is enough mushrooms to feed everyone on Neowin. :o :s

why in area 51? not trying to be a wannabe mod, but i think that you underexpose an interesting true topic by sticking it in here.

Because this is where I chose to post it - dead simple.