WMP10 Error

I decided last night to do a fresh install of Windows XP w/SP2. This morning I started to install WMP10 and I it gives me the attached error. Anyone know how to fix this?

Missing or damaged key systems files is what the issue should be here. Note that applications used to remove parts of the Windows OS could also cause this.

To fix it you would need to try the following

--Do a system restore to a point before the files were deleted

--Do a repair/in-place upgrade of XP.

--Revert back to SP1, reinstall WMP 9. Upgrade back to SP2. Reinstalling SP2 alone might also work.

Let me know if any of that works out for you.

I used AutoStreamer to slipstream the install of Windows XP & Service Pack 2 (but I've installed this on three other systems and they worked fine). Downloaded WMP 10 twice now (once from Microsoft Download Center and once from the Windows Update site). I ran Windows File Protection and that didn't change anything either!

[EDIT] System Restore is disable on my system. Can't revert back to Windows XP SP1 because SP1 was never installed on the system ;)

Well I don't know what AutoStreamer is, but if you have a slipstreamed CD, do an upgrade from that. You won't really upgrade anything, but all the files will be reinstalled.

Given that particular error message...if you were to, say, try to install WMP9 on top of WMP10, you would undoubtedly recieve that same error message. ...I'm going with the bad installation of WMP10, and would try re-installing WMP10.

I'm going with the bad installation of WMP10, and would try re-installing WMP10.

It never got installed to beging with :huh:

gameguy, yes I did slipstream the final build of SP2 (downloaded it just yesterday morning straight from Microsoft Download Center).

Given that particular error message...if you were to, say, try to install WMP9 on top of WMP10, you would undoubtedly recieve that same error message. ...I'm going with the bad installation of WMP10, and would try re-installing WMP10.

Actually no, you would get a message saying you have a newer version of WMP installed on the current machine. The problem *is* in some how related to currupt/damaged/missing system files on the machine. The hope would be that reinstall SP2 on top of the current install would fix that.

I must be missing something here. This is odd, because I'm only wrong 99% of the time.

Slipstreamed Windows XP & SP2 together yesterday. Made four copies and installed on four system. Windows XP includes Windows Media Player 8, I wanted to update it to Windows Media Player 10. On three systems this works fine, however, on this one system I get the above error message.

Does that clear things up?

Okay, cal2002, I double-dog dare ya to try installing WMP9 on top of WMP10. It won't install over WMP10.

Right, that's what I just said, but it will not produce this specific error, as i stated it will say that you currently have a newer version of WMP installed on the machine. Reread the post. ;)

Ah, so it's peculiar to only the one installation. Same slipstreamed disc on 4 pc's. Hmm. I'm going with trying to re-install WMP10. LOL (I don't know anything for sure. I'm just making a suggestion like others here.)

Right, that's what I just said, but it will not produce this specific error, as i stated it will say that you currently have a newer version of WMP installed on the machine. Reread the post. ;)

Oh. Well, comprehending what I read was never my strong point. LOL

This might get Wmp running again. Pop in the slipstreamed disc and click start>run>sfc /scannow. When it finishes run setup_wm.exe in the Windows Media Player folder. If this gets 8.1/9 (can't remember which) running, try installing Wmp10 again. If it still fails to install run sfc /scannow and setup_wm.exe one last time.

Nope. SP2 ships with WMP 9. The problem is not WMP it's more core system files that are not as they should be, thus blocking the installer from getting the correct info. Reinstalling SP2 should be the first step taken. ;)

The problem is not WMP it's more core system files that are not as they should be

Running sfc /scannow should replace any missing system files as well as WMP9 files. This may or may not work but it is a lot less messy than reinstalling a service pack.

Nope. SP2 ships with WMP 9. The problem is not WMP it's more core system files that are not as they should be, thus blocking the installer from getting the correct info. Reinstalling SP2 should be the first step taken. ;)

cal, you are very insistant. Why wouldn't sfc /scannow not work to replace "core system files"? He does after all have SP2 slipstreamed.

Did you know, that if a couple of "core system files" are missing from the WMP9 installation that WMP10 will not install? ...Like DRMClient for one. I believe that's a core system file.

Others suggestions are valid, too, cal.

I'm going with try re-installing WMP10...and then I like sandman45654 suggestion for running sfc /scannow.

Re-installing your entire opersting system should always be the last resort.

One last thought, run these three commands.

sfc /purgecache

sfc /scannow

%programfiles%\windows media player\setup_wm.exe

Running the sfc /purgecache command will erase all the files in the dllcache folder. When you run sfc /scannow it will replace them, hopefully not corrupted this time, if that is even the problem.

EDIT: You may want to check the dllcache folder to ensure all the files were deleted. It there is a corrupt file it may not delete. A quick way to open the dllcache folder is to enter dllcache in the run box.

Edited by sandman45654