WMP10 Error

As stated

"Should", yes. I believe that has already been tried in this case.
Stated before by Hurmoth
I ran Windows File Protection and that didn't change anything either!
(I'm assuming by that he means SFC)

You can't reinstall WMP 10, you can't run the installer (That's the problem, the installer is looking for files on the system, its getting back incorrect information, thus producing the error.)

Reinstalling SP2 is not reinstalling the whole OS.

Reinstalling SP2 is not reinstalling the whole OS.

Correct, but programs that have been installed on this system already require SP2 to be installed before the programs are installed. If I go to install SP2 again, then this over writes any files that needed to be there after SP2 files were there. Which means that, in this case, reinstalling everything all over again is probably the best solution.

Well, either that or living without WMP 10 on this system (which is what I plan to do unless I can find a simple fix).

I wouldn't trust some unknown third party slipstreaming utility to do my slipstreaming. My hunch is this is where your problem lies.

Get a pristine (not customised, not scr*wed with in any way whatsoever) ISO of SP1 and re-download the network install of SP2 direct from the MS site. Do the same for MP10.

Slipstream SP1 2ith SP2 the old way.

Desite what these guys are saying scrub the install you have and start again. There is something screwy going on with it that I don't trust.

Don't frikin disable services after the install. It may sound like a good idea - but in the end it always causes more trouble than it's worth.

Now on your spotlesslessly clean, configured the way you know MS likes it, unscr*wed with, pristine, no third party software or virus installs, no tweaks or 'customisations', no clever little adjustments to anything given to you by something you read on the web, or by some guy or other, install of Windows, install your brand new OFFICIAL version of MP10.

Result?

My guess is you should experience no issues.

Why? Because we have now effectively eliminated every other possible cause.

Wisdom for the day... Don't uneccesarily mess with your Windows install. Tweaks/enhancements/customisations - all 'look at me' I'm so clever type changes usually end up breaking more than they fix. 'Default' in the world of Windows and in PC hardware in general is usually always best.

GJ

Edited by raid517

I wouldn't trust some unknown third party slipstreaming utility to do my slipstreaming. My hunch is this is where your problem lies.

Don't frikin disable services after the install. It may sound like a good idea - but in the end it always causes more trouble than it's worth.

Now on your spotlesslessly clean, configured the way you know MS likes it, unscr*wed with, pristine, no third party software or virus installs, no tweaks or 'customisations', no clever little adjustments to anything given to you by something you read on the web, or by some guy or other, install of Windows, install your brand new OFFICIAL version of MP10.

Result?

My guess is you should experience no issues.

Why? Because we have now effectively eliminated every other possible cause.

Wisdom for the day... Don't uneccesarily mess with your Windows install. Tweaks/enhancements/customisations - all 'look at me' I'm so clever type changes usually end up breaking more than they fix. 'Default' in the world of Windows and in PC hardware in general is usually always best.

GJ

I understand what you're saying and I would do this, but if the same install works on three other systems and not one, it isn't the install :no: I'm still not sure what it is, but there is no way that I'm installing everything all over again when it took me four hours to get it the way I wanted it. Besides that, this is one of my four computers at work and I'm not taking the time at work to keep reinstalling Windows until it works perfectly. If I happen to find a fix, great, but if I don't, life goes on.

As for disabling service: I don't just disable service, I completely delete them. Themes service for example, there's no point in it when my company does no allow it. So on all systems that I work on (using Windows XP), I completely delete this service. For desktops, I delete the Wireless Zero Configuration service, no point when desktops connect through physical wire (and never will connect through wireless). Fast User Switching Compatibility service is not needed because we use Novell NetWare, and Novell NetWare does not support Fast User Switching (pointless service).

As for third party slipstreamers: this slipstreamer is as simple as they come! All it does is slipstream and spits out an ISO Image and boom, you're done! I haven't had problems with it yet, so until I do, I'm going to keep using it!

As for installing Windows the way Microsoft wants it :huh: My company doesn't pay thousands of dollars out for Windows not to be able to customize it the way we want.

But like I said, since it's only one out of four systems, it's not a big deal. Thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by Hurmoth

I had thought the same thing, but see I can install WMP 9, but upgrading to 10 is where I get the error. I can live with 9, but I like to keep up-to-date as possible.

[EDIT] WAIT A MINUTE! Can deleting that dll file and copy it from one of the other systems that are working correctly, correct this?

I understand what you're saying and I would do this, but if the same install works on three other systems and not one,? it isn't the install:no:: I'm still not sure what it is, but there is no way that I'm installing everything all over again when it took me four hours to get it the way I wanted it. Besides that, this is one of my four computers at work and I'm not taking the time at work to keep reinstalling Windows until it works perfectly. If I happen to find a fix, great, but if I don't, life goes on.

As for disabling service: I don't just disable service, I completely delete them.Themes> service for example, there's no point in it when my company does no allow it. So on all systems that I work on (using Windows XP), I completely delete this service. For desktops, I delete theWireless Zero Configuration> service, no point when desktops connect through physical wire (and never will connect through wireless).Fast User Switching Compatibility> service is not needed because we use Novell NetWare, and Novell NetWare does not support Fast User Switching (pointless service).

As for third party slipstreamers: this slipstreamer is as simple as they come! All it does is slipstream and spits out an ISO Image and boom, you're done! I haven't had problems with it yet, so until I do, I'm going to keep using it!

As for installing Windows the way Microsoft wants it:huh:: My company doesn't pay thousands of dollars out for Windows not to be able to customize it the way we want.

But like I said, since it's only one out of four systems, it's not a big deal. Thanks for the help everyone!

Do it your way then. But the way I suggested was the only scenario in which you are guranteed to get things to work. I can't see for an office based PC with maybe a few apps on it why it would take 4 hours to install Windows on it anyway - or why even you would need WMP10 on it in the first place.

In my eyes you have answered your own question.

Not all systems are made equal. Different 'tweaks' on different systems are likely to have unpredictable outcomes.

The idea of 'running on default' is meant to be one that you maintainwhile> installing and maintaining your system. That is when building your system/s you should always be sure of your capacity to do so on FULL default settings - because that is just the way Windows likes things. You may think I'm talking out of my butt - but this is really quite hard won advice - and is advice any really hardcore Windows admin in the know and worth their salt would offer you too.

While you cannot see what relevance 'stopping' (or worse still physically deleting) various services might have on your current dilema - that really is rather the point - because while you can't see any, it doesn't mean there aren't any. Windows tends to work as a homogenous whole - it likes things to be running 'just so' and if they aren't this can sometimes cause odd/unpredictable and often apparently unrelated side effects. It is rather like the dependency issues you can sometimes encounter in Linux in other words. Say service a b c has x y z related dependencies or whatever and you disable or delete the dependency called z. Now as it happens z might have other services or functions that depend on it - which may in turn have other dependencies that depend on this and so on. Sooner or later it is feasible that you could hit an issue with a service that directly impacts on something you are trying to do.

Now all MS is saying - and all I'm saying is do what you have to do first before you start to mess about with tweaks or whatever. Configure your system on default settings with nothing disabled. Try (it's not that hard) to do things as much by the book as possible - which means learning how to do your own slipstreaming. You might think it's a pain in the butt (though I don't know how as it is brain numbingly simple to do) but the point is that this IS the tried and tested method and is known to work best in 99.9% of instances.

Make sure you have your bios on your PC set to default too. This may seem like odd advice, but as someone who builds new systems virtually every other day it is advice that is born out through bitter experience. Again sucessful Windows installs always like default best.

Now as far as tweaking goes Windows already contains some of the most powerful tweaking tools imaginable.

What you need to do is learn how to manage for your windows XP machines via group policy.

The varius tweaking utilities included in XP are:

mmc (Microsoft Management Console) which allows you to add and remove various features and customisations at will.

services.msc Which allows you to manage services

gpedit.msc Which is a policy editing tool - which is basically the biggest Moma of Windows tweaking tools of all

No one says you can't tweak your systems - what is being said is only 'tweak' them after you are sure everything you need to do first has been achieved. They are office based systems right? Once they are built there is no need for them to be changed, right? So once you have done what you need to to, just use group policy - and these systems can be made pretty much impervious to any changes by anyone other than you (as admin) anyway. There is no need to delete a non running service - as deleting it serves no purpose. But if you do delete it, then you may find the odd circumstance where a dependancy of a dependancy insists on looking for this essentailly dead service - and if it can't find it, it may freak a little and malfunction. Best to leave it there, check it's status - check it against any running policy and allow it to complete the appropriate action. Even then you must be able to track changes you make so that you can get back to a default condition should the circumstance arrise where some form of maintainance or other was required.

Again you might think I'm on drugs - but I get paid to give out this advice. It is the basis of all good admining on Windows. It is just the way that works.

I don't think it's possible to claim to be a good admin and not know these things. I don't mean that to sound harsh - but being a good admin is about more than just being aware of how best to do things - it is about years of experience and trial and error too. And that is something that fortunately I think you will find that a few individuals round here possess in abundance.

We already made these mistakes for you in the past - it might be best listening to how we actually fixed them too.

GJ

Edited by raid517

Not all systems are made equal. Different 'tweaks' on different systems are likely to have unpredictable outcomes.

All systems are made equal though. They are all Dell OptiPlex GX270's, and have all the same software. So the outcome should be the same as the other three systems!

All systems are made equal though. They are all Dell OptiPlex GX270's, and have all the same software. So the outcome should be the same as the other three systems!

Well I can't help you any more either. Even in apparently indentical systems there can be subtle differences. There is a right way and a wrong way to do a thing. In my view it is your install conditions that may have erratic outcomes. A one in 3 or 4 install failure rate for a non standard install procedure may not be as unusual as you might think. All things are only really made equal when you play it by the book. It is perhaps at least a little lazy not to try.

But since you appear to feel you kinow best anyway, let's just leave it at that.

GJ

Edited by raid517

Well, replacing the wmploc.dll file did the trick! It works now, so some how the one in the system that didn't work got corrupted. Thanks for the help!

Well the leason still holds. It's doubtful it would have if you had played it by the book from the start.

But anyway, I'm glad you finally got on top of it.

Your company must like your employees a lot to let them all have MP10 on their Workplace PCs.

GJ

Well, replacing the wmploc.dll file did the trick! It works now, so some how the one in the system that didn't work got corrupted. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for posting and working through it. :D

If it's just me, I need to take my pills.  Did we just get slapped for trying to help this guy?

Lol no. You guys did your best. But there are ways to avoid problems from occuring in the first place. I don't think you had anything to do with that. (Given that you might not want to spend two days trying to do something that is essentially very simple).

GJ

I used nlite to do my Windows XP installation and I get the same problem. I just tried to install WMP10 and got the exact same error message. I also tried to install WMP9 and it did the same thing :/ I really don't want t reinstall Windows XP again *sigh*

edit: Oh doing something to wmploc.dll did the trick? Can you tell me what exactly to do to fix my problem :p

Edited by Razor Blade