Site of Oswald's killing to open to public

DALLAS, Texas (Reuters) -- Dallas plans to allow tourists into the underground garage where President Kennedy's assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, was gunned down more than 40 years ago, city officials said Wednesday.

Nightclub owner Jack Ruby shot Oswald in the basement of what was then the Dallas police headquarters on November 24, 1963.

TV footage and photos of Ruby emerging from a crowd and firing a handgun at Oswald as he was handcuffed to a Dallas police officer have been among the most-seen news images in the world.

Visitors will be allowed to see the basement as well as a cell in the same building complex where Oswald was jailed.

Plans are in the early stages and it could be several years before the historic site is ready, Dallas interim City Manager Mary Suhm said.

For years Dallas tried to live down the reputation of being the city where Kennedy died. In 1989, after a long struggle, Dallas opened The Sixth Floor Museum -- located in the former Texas School Book Depository where Oswald fired his rifle -- that recounts the Kennedy presidency and his death on November 22, 1963.

The museum has been well-received and the city wants to include more of the assassination history into its development plans.

"I think it is a mistake to ignore unpleasant events in the context of history," Suhm said.

The Texas Theater, where Oswald was captured, is being refurbished. A public-private effort is underway to restore the theater to how it looked when police stormed the movie house to arrest Oswald.

"People come from around the world to Dallas because of the assassination, and many of them want to see where the shooting of Oswald took place," former Dallas police detective Jim Leavelle said in an interview with Reuters in 2002.

Leavelle was the man in the Stetson hat standing handcuffed next to Oswald as Ruby lurched forward to fire his gun.

source:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/06/oswald.site.reut/index.html

,Oct 8 2004, 13:41] opening the place to the public is just wrong. there's a difference between letting the public have the facts and pure and simple voyeurism.

I think it would be a terrible thing to close it off to the public. It's not about being voyeristic. It's about our history as a nation.

,Oct 8 2004, 19:41] opening the place to the public is just wrong. there's a difference between letting the public have the facts and pure and simple voyeurism.

thats where your wrong my friend, it would be no better than calling it a govenment coverup

Conspiracy theories are abound. The most convincing evidence I found was that Oswald was a Communist and member of the CPA, had connections to the Soviets and had visited the Soviet Embassy in Mexico several times. But maybe that is just a conspiracy theory.

I do not believe Oswald committed the acts. Involved yes but i believe there were many more people helping. The government maybe had ties to those people so they decided to blame it on Oswald completely. Similar to the reasons for the Iraq War :D

because he did do it.

I really wonder why they (The Government) went after Oswald when he did not and could not do it

584705892[/snapback]