Computer companies to trash up XP for their Gain

Here is a quote from the LA Times

"Some computer makers are stuffing the screen with as many as 20 come-ons for all manner of products and services, from digital photography programs to ESPN sports news."

The whole artical

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

right click - delete

:cross:

Well that's another reason i'll never by a name-brand PC. I rather building my own so i don't have to deal with all that CRAP! I don't see why they would want to put all that stuff there. I know they get money but that annoys me so much. The first computer I got was a Compaq 5225 and i didn't even boot the OS. All i did was format it as soon as I took it out the box and powered it on then put Win2k on it (it came with Win 98 FE - First Edition). Onetime though i used the restore cd and there were like 40 folders other than program files and windows and my documents. Folders full of junk that nobody would ever use. :( Oh well.. My PC was only like that for 5 mins then i formatted it again and was back to 2K in 1hr. I later sold that PC and got something even more inferior. The Compaq was a 400 AMD K6-2 and I sold that and built a P3 system at 233mhz and it seemed soo much better than the 400mhz. I'm now up to a 1.2ghz AMD which i love and i built this too. SO there's my reason for never buying a PC from the big companys again!

Better Still

boot to dos

format C:

Although I have never bought a name brand PC, I prefer to build my own and install what I want on it!

Keep all that AOL and other commercail Crap off!

I think most people around here build there own PCs

Yeah... few knowledgeable computer users buy OEM machines unless it is a serious bargain. But not everyone makes "their" own PC's... I have 3 computers all made myself but as with most people I started off with OEM machines.

Sometimes it's horrible. All the desktops set on "Compaq"... ARGH! I just can't stand it... and THEN they give you a mouse mat, print their logos all over everything and mess with your BIOS. That's enough to put me off ever using them.

I actually prefer to buy a Dell and reformat, only because you can customise what you buy more than you can with Compaq or HP etc. and they give you a good BIOS, they post updates for all cards and the BIOS, and they use normal drivers, not those proprietary things that others use so that you have to use their restore CDs. Plus, you get a warranty.

Just my opinion, please don't hit me ;)

Dell does allow limited customization. However, everything you stated is provided by someone free of charge already. BIOS updates come fastest direct from the board maker. Driver updates as well. Warranty come from the manufacturer of every component in your system.

IMO, I don't see a reason to buy a pre-built unless it's way cheaper than I can do it myself and is without onboard crap & proprietary hardware.

You have a point, but I would not buy one with the onboard crap, like NIC and sound, I mean the ones where it is all installed separately. Also, by warranty I meant next day, on-site or replacement parts with no bull for weeks at a time. Please note that I am not knocking building your own, just saying that, from Dell anyway, it's easier than from other OEMs to get a decent, semi-customisable box.

When you buy a computer from a big company, just get a Warez version of the OS, but use the key that is on the card they give you. Why would you trust ANTHING that they gave you? Plus they pack in a bunch of useless software...

P.S. I will never buy a name brand PC - too expensive, and they use lots of cheap stuff in the comuters and market them in "MHz"... *sighz*