Lighning Fast Startup

how did this get into essential guides successfully?

@ shushu, u seem to know what your talking bout, maybe u make a guide ;)

584782168[/snapback]

Doesnt one exist already?

if not then i'll go for it

just checked - there isnt one -

give me a day or 2 to find ALL the relevant info, including this Ares tweak and others in neowin + more

Edited by shushu

this was brought up a few weeks ago, it defrags the boot sector and does a few other things like clean out the page file.. or something.. could be useful for use after gaming if when you quit the game you experience some temporary lag in using the system..

This doesn't help any and really can't be called lighting fast boot times.

Actually this does help. It is quite a useful tip if you know what it does. I agree that it prolly shouldn't be called lightning fast boot times, but the difference is notable.

Check out this post for a nice little installation proceedure that adds an icon to your Start menu

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=232067

:yes:

I notice more responce out of my computer by using toms hardwares Task Assign

program. I set the affinity of the bulk of the crap that runs in the background on "CPU1" and the browser and other things I normally run I let run on "CPU 0". Obviously you have to have an HT processor for this to work ;)

:alien:

So what essentially is this tweak doing? Invoking the process idle tasks, does this mean XP keeps a list of tasks for when the PC's idle it processes it? And i pressume overtime this task list accumulates and everytime your comps idle it processes a bit of it until it's all done, but this tweak looks like it's forcing all idle processes to be completed.

all depends how much ram you have really. the less the slower a bootup will be. the more, the faster... this is just something people MAY notice when too many things are on startup...