[NCAA] UF coach Zook is fired

SOURCE

The Florida Gators have fired third-year football coach Ron Zook and his staff, ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit reported Monday.

Athletic director Jeremy Foley will meet with members of the team this afternoon and then announce that Zook and his staff will coach the team for the remainder of the season, Herbstreit reported.

The firing comes on the heels of the Gators' 38-31 loss Saturday to Mississippi State, the worst team in the SEC.

The Gators are 4-3 this season, 20-13 overall under Zook.

His teams haven't had the swagger of those under his predecessor Steve Spurrier, who lost only six home games in 12 years and won a national championship.

When asked about his future Sunday, Zook focused on next Saturday.

"I just have to worry about this next game right now," Zook said. "That's all I have any control over."

Nyah, nyah, haha... Woohoo... Actually I am sure most Gator fans are happy. I am just pleased that there will be an extra distraction for the team this weekend...

Well, pleased? Yes. But, it's not going to do any good unless the University goes out and gets a quality coach and doesn't make the same mistake.

I'm also kind of twisted on the fact that it will be effective at the end of the season. Why even announce it, or make that decision? Now we've got 4 games left where the players are playing for coaches who won't even be there. Kind of weird. We'll see what happens, though.

Maybe the distraction will be a good thing. I think Zook has been coaching in an uncertain world - maybe now he will let the reigns go and coach to his players' abilities.

I just heard about this about 10 minutes ago! I couldn't beleive it!!

I just wonder what's going to happen now. I wonder if Spurrier will come back to us? I'm sure the UAA will flash plenty of money towards him to try and get him to come back. Also, my father heard rumors that Spurrier might be actually going to coach UM? I find that hard to beleive but it is a rumor. Either way, I hope the swamp goes back to what it used to be. We need to start winning in there. I never really screamed for Zook's removal but after I saw the Miss. St. game on Saturday, I just couldn't believe that we screwed it up again! I think three seasons would be enough to work out the problems don't you think?

oh ****, i thought it would be at the end of the year, not now! this is a big shock. not a single analyst i heard thought it would be right now. they all thought they'd give him the chance to win out...

damn, look out nieuheisel.

/edit

ah, i guess it will be effective after the season.

i don't think spurrier will be back.

and i think florida can beat georgia.

Threatening fraternity members was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. He's had a couple of years now to get his talent recruited and develop them...he just hasn't done it to the level of expectations.

Wonder how long before Steve comes back... :cool:

As an LSU fan, it's hard for me to hope that UF will be successful in the future, however, I also know how bad it sucks to watch a good team go to ****. LSU has always been a roller coaster (i.e. mid 80's powerhouse, early 90's suckhouse, mid 90's pretty good team, late 90's pushover, early 00's SEC and National champs - you get the point). So anyway, I guess my point is...good luck to UF in the future. Hopefully they'll hire a good coach so that the SEC can remain a strong conference. Because like it or not, strong teams in your favourite teams conference make your team look better!

oh ****, i thought it would be at the end of the year, not now!  this is a big shock.  not a single analyst i heard thought it would be right now.  they all thought they'd give him the chance to win out...

damn, look out nieuheisel.

/edit

ah, i guess it will be effective after the season.

i don't think spurrier will be back. 

and i think florida can beat georgia.

584804007[/snapback]

I am making a mental note to focus negative energy towards Michagan just to spite you. Go Spartans! ;)

Threatening fraternity members was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.  He's had a couple of years now to get his talent recruited and develop them...he just hasn't done it to the level of expectations.

Wonder how long before Steve comes back...  :cool:

584804092[/snapback]

Yeah, you have to keep in mind the off the field antics of the past few weeks and not just the teams performance.

Well, just to make EVERYONE feel better....I'm a UK fan. You don't suck any worse then UK. I'm sure we'll pick up Zook. Hell, 3-4 is better then what we have right now. Whoo hoo!!!!

Well, just to make EVERYONE feel better....I'm a UK fan.  You don't suck any worse then UK.  I'm sure we'll pick up Zook.  Hell, 3-4 is better then what we have right now.  Whoo hoo!!!!

584804128[/snapback]

Hey....thanks for letting my Tigers catch that miracle catch a few years back! :D

If anyone is feeling sorry for Zook, just read below. What a total scam...

The school will buy out Zook's contract at $450,000 for each of the remaining years, the Gainesville Sun reported Monday.

Well, pleased? Yes. But, it's not going to do any good unless the University goes out and gets a quality coach and doesn't make the same mistake.

I'm also kind of twisted on the fact that it will be effective at the end of the season. Why even announce it, or make that decision? Now we've got 4 games left where the players are playing for coaches who won't even be there. Kind of weird. We'll see what happens, though.

Maybe the distraction will be a good thing. I think Zook has been coaching in an uncertain world - maybe now he will let the reigns go and coach to his players' abilities.

584803229[/snapback]

Let it be known so they can start recruiting coaches?

I'm just really saddened to see our football team fall from where they used to be (top 10, ALWAYS). We'll see what happens next season... Hopefully Leak will be able to just grow from this and get better over the next two years. :unsure:

Oh well... can't wait for Nov. 2! First basketball game at the O'Dome! :woot:

I am making a mental note to focus negative energy towards Michagan just to spite you.  Go Spartans!  ;)

Yeah, you have to keep in mind the off the field antics of the past few weeks and not just the teams performance.

584804107[/snapback]

haha, hey, thats not nice. actually, spartans looked scary a week ago...i'm definitely not overlooking them.

but come on, you honestly like david greene? he just seems so ineffective when i watch. in fact, both georgia games i've watched this year, he's been benched. he makes you guys look bad...

"I'll cross that bridge if it comes to that," Spurrier said. "One thing I've tried to do all this year is not be lingering around acting like I'm waiting for another guy's job. I don't believe that's the right way to do it. But now that he (Zook) doesn't have a job, I guess there will be some discussions. We'll see what happens."

- Orlando Sentinel

Watch out nation, rumblings for next year go to the Gators. Muhahaha.

It gives me chills, good ones.

"I'll cross that bridge if it comes to that," Spurrier said. "One thing I've tried to do all this year is not be lingering around acting like I'm waiting for another guy's job. I don't believe that's the right way to do it. But now that he (Zook) doesn't have a job, I guess there will be some discussions. We'll see what happens."

- Orlando Sentinel

Watch out nation, rumblings for next year go to the Gators. Muhahaha.

It gives me chills, good ones.

584804382[/snapback]

:prays: :innocent: :yes: :bounce:

haha, hey, thats not nice.  actually, spartans looked scary a week ago...i'm definitely not overlooking them.

but come on, you honestly like david greene?  he just seems so ineffective when i watch.  in fact, both georgia games i've watched this year, he's been benched.  he makes you guys look bad...

584804276[/snapback]

Greene has never been benched. Lord Richt in his infinite wisdom seems to think that switching back and forth with Shockley and Greene is somehow a good idea. It is his game plan and ahs been for two years now. Except when Greene is totally off like against TN, then he lets him play the whole game while Shockley was 1-2 in drives with a TD (one drive scored, one did not). Doesn't make any sense. Greene is awesome IF he has time, he has such a slow relese that he needs protection, otherwise he gets nailed (big slow, lumbering white guy...) I mean he is going to pass Manning on all time wins list after one more victory and is the leading passer in UGA history as well as closing in on SEC records.

If you apologize I will redirect my evil mojo toward another opponent. :)

Nice press confrence... He started choking up when he was talking about his players. :( Poor guy... hopefully we can get back on our feet next season.

Greene has never been benched.? Lord Richt in his infinite wisdom seems to think that switching back and forth with Shockley and Greene is somehow a good idea.? It is his game plan and ahs been for two years now.? Except when Greene is totally off like against TN, then he lets him play the whole game while Shockley was 1-2 in drives with a TD (one drive scored, one did not).? Doesn't make any sense.? Greene is awesome IF he has time, he has such a slow relese that he needs protection, otherwise he gets nailed (big slow, lumbering white guy...)? I mean he is going to pass Manning on all time wins list after one more victory and is the leading passer in UGA history as well as closing in on SEC records.

If you apologize I will redirect my evil mojo toward another opponent.?:)bsp; :)

584804515[/snapback]

ok, yeah, i guess it's not benched. but i mean, greene is really sucking it up. like 0-10 passing or whatever. i guess he just doesn't like to perform when i wa;)h... ;)

what am i apologizing for again? picking florida this wee:pnd? :p

who here is in our yahoo pick em league?

Nice press confrence... He started choking up when he was talking about his players. :( Poor guy... hopefully we can get back on our feet next season.

584804581[/snapback]

poor my butt...he's going to be paid some $400k for the remaining years on his contract. the guy threatened fraternity members for crying out loud because his players acted like total asses.

its a shame Bowden doesn't do the same and get canned...there are times when FSU makes Colorado look like Duke when it comes to NCAA violations, crime, and questionable ethics.

ok, yeah, i guess it's not benched.  but i mean, greene is really sucking it up.  like 0-10 passing or whatever.  i guess he just doesn't like to perform when i watch... ;)

what am i apologizing for again?  picking florida this weekend?  :p

who here is in our yahoo pick em league?

584804773[/snapback]

I think Georgia will beat Florida this weekend. If Florida's defense couldn't hold off Mississippi State's rushing attack, I don't see how they can contain Danny Ware. Next to Peterson, hes one of the best freshmen backs in Div-1. Georgia has a good defense, but it will be interesting to see how they deal with Leak, who can beat you on the ground and in the air. I didnt get wo watch Georgia/Tennessee, had work, so I didnt get to see how Tennessee beat Goergia's D.

I really hope Georgia wins that game so they will still be in the top 10 when Auburn plays them. If Auburn wins that game it will give them 3 Top 10 wins on the season(4 if Tenn. stays unbeaten til the SEC Title). Hopefully Virginia can upset Miami get rid of their number 1 rankings by the computers.