Win2k over WinXP

Just wondering who out there decided to go back to Win2k after trying WinXP. I have made the change back to Win2k! And, I can't believe how much better Win2k is compared to WinXP. Everything seems to run faster and better on Win2k. Sure, it may not boot as fast as WinXP, but who cares when everything else runs great! Anyway, the only reason I went back to Win2k was because WinXP HATED the drivers for my ATI Radeon8500DV AIW. So, just for the heck of it, I went back to Win2k to test the drivers, and it's an amazing difference! The drivers are awesome, and things that weren't working in XP are now working in 2k! Of course, some of you will disagree, and that's all good. As for me, I'm sticking with Win2k. At least, until SP1 for WinXP comes out. That's all!

Yeah, I prefer 2k over XP as well. Just so many little nuances with XP that I can't stand. But there are things about it that I liked. SOME of the eyecandy was nice, which is why I've been working on stuff like this for 2k:

http://theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0410...2/sysfolder.png

Heh. Don't ask me for it just yet. I'm working out some more bugs before I make another release of it. (mostly positioning stuff, an issue with a background image for the folders, and also one annoying javascript issue that I've almost narrowed down)

If you do want it, drop me a line at tufluck16@hotmail.com with something like, "I want your webview" in the subject line. I'll mass email it out to you and a bunch of others when it's ready. :)

Haha, man, I so got off topic here. Heh, oh well, not like it matters. :D

I just formatted and went back to Win2K on my laptop. =P

But on my desktop comp, I still have XP (That's because it has an AthlonXP 1800+ and my laptop has a p2/3 550 =P).

I'm an XP lover, I'll admit that. :D

2k's good if you want raw speed, but I like the features of XP that draw me in and the improved interface and system layout. I've tried both, but I'll stick with XP. 2k just seems....old...*shrug*

Yeah, I will admit I like the graphics and eye candy of WinXP, but I will also admit to not even bothering with themes and whatnot after a while. So, the plainness of Win2k doesn't bother me. I just like how much more stable and fast Win2k seems over WinXP!

Originally posted by dicchicora

Just wondering who out there decided to go back to Win2k after trying WinXP. I have made the change back to Win2k! And, I can't believe how much better Win2k is compared to WinXP. Everything seems to run faster and better on Win2k. Sure, it may not boot as fast as WinXP, but who cares when everything else runs great! Anyway, the only reason I went back to Win2k was because WinXP HATED the drivers for my ATI Radeon8500DV AIW. So, just for the heck of it, I went back to Win2k to test the drivers, and it's an amazing difference! The drivers are awesome, and things that weren't working in XP are now working in 2k! Of course, some of you will disagree, and that's all good. As for me, I'm sticking with Win2k. At least, until SP1 for WinXP comes out. That's all!

not another one of these debates

::covers head and crawls back under a box::

:dead:

Windows XP isn't just New Icons and Themes, The Real Improvements are the inner workings of the operating system. read this if you want..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0...el/XPKernel.asp

don't wanna sound bitchy, but i've seen like a billion of these debates of 2000 vs. XP.

Technologically Speaking, XP Kicks 2000 To the curb.

Originally posted by xStainDx

not another one of these debates

First off, this isn't meant to be a debate. You've obviously missed my whole point! All I said was, that FOR ME, Win2k works better than WinXP. I loved XP, when it worked. However, with my video card, it wasn't working with any of the drivers. So, I went back to Win2k and found that for the things I do, it works much better. If that sounds like a debate to you, I'd hate to think what you'd say when there is a real debate.

/me see's an xp v 2k war starting :p

i found xp faster than 2k thats just my opinion every system will act and perform differently :o

and ofcourse xp will have bugs all new software will but quite alot ppl seem to forget

2000 Pro wasnt to hot out the box either when it was launched

Originally posted by dicchicora

First off, this isn't meant to be a debate. You've obviously missed my whole point! All I said was, that FOR ME, Win2k works better than WinXP. I loved XP, when it worked. However, with my video card, it wasn't working with any of the drivers. So, I went back to Win2k and found that for the things I do, it works much better. If that sounds like a debate to you, I'd hate to think what you'd say when there is a real debate.

previous posted by: Voodoo_freaK

/me see's an xp v 2k war starting

exactly!

::runs back under the box he was hiding under:::

Originally posted by xStainDx

Windows XP isn't just New Icons and Themes, The Real Improvements are the inner workings of the operating system. read this if you want..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0...el/XPKernel.asp

Nice to see another person who reads the stuff in the MSDN library. Heh. There's a plethora of information in there that not a lot of people know about. :)

just wait until XP SP1

Like how when you installed SP2 on windows 2000, it went much better and faster.

after that comes out, i dont think XP and 2K even compare..

Originally posted by BLACKWAR  

just wait until XP SP1

Like how when you installed SP2 on windows 2000, it went much better and faster.

after that comes out, i dont think XP and 2K even compare..

If they can fix the little nuances with XP (ie, enable it so we don't need 3rd party software just to USE other themes, etc), and enhance the speed greatly, then I'm all for it.

I LOVE 2K........................... ive tried a clean install with xp pro about a month ago, at first i loved the new interface and the o so cool start menu (joke) but then it didnt like my soundcard and stuff, and xp just had all these bells and whistles i didnt like.

then i came to my senses and went back to 2k, 2k is just a more stable operating system in my opinion... with all of those hotfixes and sp2 (sp3 soon,, YEH) it just beats it out of the park

and if u want themes and stuff, just get windows blinds or other types of proggs that do that job

i think xp has the potential, but the time for it, is not now... try 2 more years down the road.....

Originally posted by ToastGodSupreme  

If they can fix the little nuances with XP (ie, enable it so we don't need 3rd party software just to USE other themes, etc), and enhance the speed greatly, then I'm all for it.

Well i don't really think that will happen cuz StyleXP has already taken care of that and if microsoft adds that support, it will make TGTsoft flame .. But yeah, it would be pretty nice for them to add that support ;)

wait i just remembered that there is a free patch from tgtsoft that allows u to use themes for free.. the UXtheme patch.. to learn how, go here

:)

Originally posted by xovius  

I LOVE 2K........................... ive tried a clean install with xp pro about a month ago, at first i loved the new interface and the o so cool start menu (joke) but then it didnt like my soundcard and stuff, and xp just had all these bells and whistles i didnt like.

then i came to my senses and went back to 2k, 2k is just a more stable operating system in my opinion... with all of those hotfixes and sp2 (sp3 soon,, YEH) it just beats it out of the park

and if u want themes and stuff, just get windows blinds or other types of proggs that do that job

i think xp has the potential, but the time for it, is not now... try 2 more years down the road.....

2 MORE YEARS?!:D :D

you must be kidding mate...

i've installed xp for months and it works very very well.

it recognises all my hardwares and pushes them to the best!:)

2yrs away longhorn be out then maybe 2005 or 2006 blackcomb :D

XP PRO is actually faster for gaming so i found anyway was in q3a gained about 20fps in xp to 2k same with loading maps

well I have been on XP since the beginning and used to love it. It had its annoying things but I put up with them. Yesterday I went into event viewer for the first time and the amount of crap that is going on that I dont know about is scary. Im talking about really bad error messages about most of my harware. This has made me decide to go to 2K and wait for XP SP1 and hope that all of my hardware is supported then. Dont get me wrong, I think XP is a brilliant OS and it has a lot of potential, but it has bugs that need ironing out - bugs which I wont have in 2K. When 2K was first released, it was even worse, so I think XP will be amazing in a year or so. Until then I think Ill stick with, maybe not the most advanced OS, but the most stable and well tested OS out there.