So what colour was Jesus?

Jesus has been named the top black icon by the New Nation newspaper. Their assertion that Jesus was black has raised eyebrows in some quarters - so what colour was he?

Just as no one will ever produce proof for the existence of God, the question of Jesus's colour may always be a matter for personal belief.

Was he white, white-ish, olive-skinned, swarthy, dark-skinned or black? There are people who believe he was any one of those shades, but there seem to be only two things about the debate that can be said with any degree of certainty.

First - if the past 2,000 years of Western art were the judge, Jesus would be white, handsome, probably with long hair and an ethereal glow.

Second - it can almost certainly be said that Jesus would not have been white. His hair was also probably cut short.

"There is absolutely no evidence as to what Jesus looked like," he says. "The artistic depictions down the ages have total and complete variation, which indicates that nobody did a portrait of Jesus or wrote down a description, it's all been forgotten."

full story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3958241.stm

Jesus didn't exist

Sure he did, as a sceptic, you probably should have said something like -- "Jesus was not a prophet" or something along those lines.

Oh, and Jesus would have looked like any other arab/persian.

Out of curiousity.. where can i read up on historical evidence he existed? and I don't think books count because anyone can write fiction.

Well, he is written about in several books of the time, other than the bible, and I believe he was included in an ancient census.

Jesus was jewish, go look at a fair person from egypt, same color as jesus

584832898[/snapback]

I agree :yes:

Jesus didn't exist

584834165[/snapback]

There was at least someone who was a lot like Jesus that the stories were based off of, whether this person was the son of a divine God or not is still under question.

jesus_zoom5.jpg

Using the latest forensic and historical discoveries ? and a computer ? scientists have reconstructed the image of a first-century man who lived a life similar to and was around the age of Jesus.

Discovery Channel

That white guy you always see is actually King James.

Ahh... don't mean to prach but here goes

Second - it can almost certainly be said that Jesus would not have been white. His hair was also probably cut short.

"There is absolutely no evidence as to what Jesus looked like,"

True, there is no writings that go in detail about what Jesus looked like, but there are some descriptions in Scripture... Here's an example (it's in the Old Testament (this is a prophecy concerning Jesus):

1Who has believed our message

and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,

and like a root out of dry ground.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,

nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3 He was despised and rejected by men,

a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.

Like one from whom men hide their faces

he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

and for you people who prefer the King James Version:

1  Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

2  For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3  He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

and one Last translation to kinda drive in the pooit:

1 Who has believed our message? To whom will the LORD reveal his saving power?

2My servant grew up in the LORD's presence like a tender green shoot, sprouting from a root in dry and sterile ground. There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance, nothing to attract us to him.

3He was despised and rejected--a man of sorrows, acquainted with bitterest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way when he went by. He was despised, and we did not care.

Anyway... back on topic, Jesus was a Nazerene, which means he was from Israel... meaning he had the same skin tone as Isralies today...

So....King James had abs of steel then?

584850992[/snapback]

Ripped like Jesus.... :whistle:

@curme - I saw that a few months back, and since the Bible seems to say he was almost indistinguishable from a crowd of others (and had to be pointed out), he'd most likely look like that image you showed. :yes:

what possible good are you doing making a statment like that unless your trying to offend a few billion people

584865933[/snapback]

I'm putting my opinion and if you don't like it don't read it

But, if he was/is real, he would be of Arab tone like that picture which was earlier posted

I'm putting my opinion and if you don't like it don't read it

But, if he was/is real, he would be of Arab tone like that picture which was earlier posted

584881338[/snapback]

Jesus did. Whether you believe he was son of god or not is completely up to you, but, historically, Jesus did exist. He was probably Israeli looking, similar to the picture posted.

I watched an documentary on Jesus on Discovery Channel, and at the conclusion they said "Jesus is best to be left without a certain face, this allows followers of any religion based on the books (Quran, Bible or the Testaments) to imagine the perfect man."

I really tend to agree on this comment (Rather changed but its the jist of it), because having an ideal man to look up to is what faith is all about, believing in something or someone and following his footsteps. Whether Jesus is black or not, his ideals are what drives Christianity and other religions.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus is middle eastern. Where did you guys think all those stories came from? Was Jesus there when the pilgrims landed on Plymoth rock? The stoires in the bible take place in egypt. The picture of the faces we call Jesus is just a picture someone made up. People actully dont know how Jesus really looks like. The guy who came up with it made up a face that looked angelic and innocent (to his view of corse).

Edited by pacific_charm

That white guy you always see is actually King James.

584845389[/snapback]

I have my doubts on that:

james_1.jpg

jesus-king.jpg

I think it'd be impossible for him to not be middle-eastern looking, since skin pigmintation is based on geographical location and the amount of sun it gets. I don't know who created the picture of Jesus shown above, and that's the look of him you generally see, but I'd figure it'd have to do with the Catholic church back when it controlled everything. They didn't like Muslims (or Jews) so saying that Jesus looked Islamic wouldn't fit their agenda.