[NCAA Football] Bad day for Florida!

Of course I just had to make a post for this.

UGA finally got the win over the Gators. But even better, both Miami and Fl. State lost, giving UGA help in the overall BCs standings (I am assuming).

Go Dawgs! :D

Ahhhhhhh :x

I could care less if we don't even go to a bowl game...but to lose to UGA :angry:

You know what's funny (and sad at the same time)? On UGA's touchdown drive at the end, I just knew it was going to happen. I have zero faith in the Gators defense this year...and somehow I knew it would be Fred Gibson on top of it.

No Fun: Spurrier Won't Return to Coach Gators

Thursday, November 4, 2004

ESPN.com news services

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Steve Spurrier won't return to coach the Florida Gators.

Spurrier removed his name from consideration Thursday to replace Ron Zook, who was fired last week after the latest in a series of embarrassing losses. Zook was hired at Florida after the 2001 season, when Spurrier left the Gators to coach the Washington Redskins.

"When I departed three years ago, there were several reasons why I believed it was time to move on," Spurrier said in a statement released by the school. "Other than simply wanting to coach in the NFL someday, I also believed that 12 years at Florida was probably long enough. Many people in football believe that around 10-12 years in the same job is about the maximum time a coach should stay."

Florida fired Zook Oct. 25 after two-plus years. Zook and his staff will finish out the season; according to one report, the university will buy out Zook's contract at $450,000 for each of the remaining four years.

The Gators won six Southeastern Conference championships and the 1996 national title under Spurrier. He posted 122 victories over 12 seasons, tormented opponents with his offensive flair and witty one-liners, and left town with the best winning percentage in league history.

Spurrier said athletic director Jeremy Foley called him several times this week to set up a meeting after the season with him and school president Bernie Machen.

"They were obviously making an effort to meet with me," Spurrier said.

Spurrier resigned from the Redskins after last season. Washington went 12-20 in two seasons under Spurrier, losing 10 of the last 12.

:o

I, for one, am very surprised. I thought for sure he was going back to UF. What do you guys, especially you Flordia fans think? And who do you think will be the next coach?

I don't necessarily think the talent is gone from the state of Florida...maybe if all 3 teams had really average seasons for like 3 years, then that claim could be said.

As for the next coach at Florida...I have no idea. I know Urban Meyer from Utah and Jeff Tedford from Cal are the hot names but that doesn't mean much. It was either Bob Stoops or Steve Spurrier that could make this team a definate winner next year, and those 2 guys are not interested.

Whoever we get, it's going to be alot like Zook's first year, I think. Only Stoops and Spurrier know what it's like to coach in the SEC, in big rival games, and what those games actually mean to the University of Florida. That's what I was hoping for, some sense of tradition. Oh well...

No Fun: Spurrier Won't Return to Coach Gators

:o

I, for one, am very surprised. I thought for sure he was going back to UF. What do you guys, especially you Flordia fans think? And who do you think will be the next coach?

584863476[/snapback]

I recieved this top secret email earlier today. I will share it with you now:

In an effort to find work, the Kerry/Edwards team has volunteered to replace fired coach Ron Zook for the remainder of the season.

When I played football as a young man in Vietnam, I did not hesitate to beat the Bulldogs and I won t now. Floridians are tired of this failed Zook Administration. They continued to call the wrong play at the wrong time in the wrong game. It s time for them to come clean with this Gator Nation.

When asked what he would do differently, however, the senator replied I would have done everything differently. I would have recruited the same players and called the same plays, but other than that I would have done everything differently. We should not have tried to go it alone against Mississippi State. The Zook Administration has failed us. In fact, I actually voted to go for the two point conversion before I voted against it.

Problems immediately arose, however, at their first practice on Monday. When a player was hurt and taken to the hospital, offensive coordinator John Edwards unexplainably chased the ambulance out of the stadium. It is unclear what his motives were, but he was reported as saying No longer will there be two Gator Nations. No longer will there be winners and losers at these football games. We will ensure that every player is a winner.

The coach would not lay out specific ideas about how to turn the season around for the Gators, but ensured everyone that he has a plan . He insists that it involves improving the strength and conditioning program over several years, but he just recently voted to cut funding for the weight lifting equipment by 6 billion dollars. However, he s going to upgrade other facilities by raising ticket prices on only those who contribute over $2000 per year. Other details of his plan have not been revealed.

At least he s not Ron Zook

Obviously I think a lot of Gator fans were crushed with Spurrier's decision and are pretty po'd at this point but I don't think Spurrier could have matched what he did there before. I think the Gators will be better of with someone up and coming like Urban Meyer or the guy from Cal (what's his name?).

Jeff Tedford (Cal).

I'm not PO'd at Spurrier's decision. It would have been awful for him to come back and not have the same success as before. He is a legend for what he did at UF, that shouldn't be tarnished. I still remember the disgusting, upset stomach I had watching MJ come back with Washington. It's just not worth it. Plus, he left in 2001 for a reason. He just didn't have the desire to be head coach of Florida football anymore.

haha, yeah, i was just thinking, it's like MJ going back to the NBA...

plus, i was watching on tv, a lot of the players didn't want spurrier, they felt he turned his back on them, after promising them all these theings during recruiting. the players don't want someone like that...

bwahahahaha

awesome comeback by clemson...

man OU shoulda lost....cal shoulda lost...texas shoulda lost....why why why

584878421[/snapback]

man, this place would have been crazy if OU had lost today.. now, georgias gonna be fired up, theyre back in the lead in the SEC East, huge game next weekend..

i think it was back in 99...but i could be wrong.

usc didn't look THAT impressive either, after falling behind oregon state 13-0...and only winning 28-20....i'm hoping there are still some upsets left this year...

Utah and Wisconsin are the only consistent teams around. Utah just keeps scoring 60 points per game.

Adrian Peterson who? Alex Smith is definately a front runner for the Heisman. His numbers are making Leinart look like a freshman and Jason White look like a backup QB.

I know all of you will say Utah doesn't have a strong schedule, but USC also doesn't have a strong schedule. They've been in too many close games to teams who really are subpar.

it's gonna be interesting to see what happens to peterson. if you didn't watch the game, he was left injured. he did manage to come back, but wearing a brace on his shoulder. i forget if it was his right or left. but it's gonna be interesting to see how that effects him running the ball. i think yesterday hurt his chances...

man, this place would have been crazy if OU had lost today.. now, georgias gonna be fired up, theyre back in the lead in the SEC East, huge game next weekend..

584878566[/snapback]

No, we are still down - as we have the same SEC record, but lost to TN. We need TN ot lose to a SEC team, but there are really none left.

Side note: David Greene passess Peyton Manning on alltime NCAA wins!