New Linux Community + Why Windows article

-DTS-ES and true 7.1 support for my audigy2zs like in windows?

584939303[/snapback]

I won't comment on the other stuff since other people have covered lots of that already, bus as far as the sound thing goes, I have to say that linux freed my soundcard.

I purchased a cheap sblive way back in the day. it has four channels and a digital output. Now, in windows, when I install the drivers for that card, it works fine, etc, and does exactly what i expected it to do. It gave me analogue sound, and when i plugged into the digital coax out, it gave me digital signals, too. It wouldn't do true Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES, but then again its only a four-channel card, so that was no surprise.

What was a surprise was that when I use the card in linux, it pumps out the full DD EX or DTS ES signal just fine! I was totally shocked when I first discovered this... but thinking about it, most SB live, audigy, and audigy 2 cards have used the same chip (emu10k1), and its just the interfaces on the card and the drivers which differ. Since my card has essentially the same chip as a much more recent audigy card, and it has a digital coaxial out, in theory it should be able to produce the same signals as one of the more recent audigys. In windows it cant, in linux it can.

I won't comment on the other stuff since other people have covered lots of that already, bus as far as the sound thing goes, I have to say that linux freed my soundcard.

I purchased a cheap sblive way back in the day. it has four channels and a digital output. Now, in windows, when I install the drivers for that card, it works fine, etc, and does exactly what i expected it to do. It gave me analogue sound, and when i plugged into the digital coax out, it gave me digital signals, too. It wouldn't do true Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES, but then again its only a four-channel card, so that was no surprise.

What was a surprise was that when I use the card in linux, it pumps out the full DD EX or DTS ES signal just fine! I was totally shocked when I first discovered this... but thinking about it, most SB live, audigy, and audigy 2 cards have used the same chip (emu10k1), and its just the interfaces on the card and the drivers which differ. Since my card has essentially the same chip as a much more recent audigy card, and it has a digital coaxial out, in theory it should be able to produce the same signals as one of the more recent audigys. In windows it cant, in linux it can.

584945608[/snapback]

so what are you saying.. it worked for you in windows and linux because you had an optical out going to an external decoder?

I'm talking about utilizing the audigy2's internal dts-es decoding capabilities as I can in windows. Not just DTS but also regular 7.1 sound for music and games works but I couldnt get it up with alsa and didnt find any help doing it.

i've used freebsd and slackware for about 8 years and I will never install X windows with a manager. What pieces of ****. Stop trying to tell people this is the way to go.

584945579[/snapback]

Yes, for a few people (or purposes, such as a server), a command line interface will be all that is needed.

However, for 99%+ of average PC users, a GUI is going to be needed (or at least very much appreciated).

Face it, web browsing isn't the same in links as it is in Firefox. And nethack just doesn't compare to UT2004, or Doom3.

For some people, these are important things for their PC to be able to do. ;)

so what are you saying.. it worked for you in windows and linux because you had an optical out going to an external decoder?

I'm talking about utilizing the audigy2's internal dts-es decoding capabilities as I can in windows. Not just DTS but also regular 7.1 sound for music and games works but I couldnt get it up with alsa and didnt find any help doing it.

584947283[/snapback]

No, it didn't work for me in windows, but it did work for me in linux. I know it doesn't really have anything to do with getting an internal decoder to work, but it shows that windows driver support isn't always superior.