Metal Gear Box Substance (USB HD Enclosure)

well let me first start off by saying AWSOME, now i know usb 2.0 isnt as fast as internal specially when ur doing it hd wise.. but i must say this is pretty damn fast to me, i slapped a 250GB WD 8mb 7200 into it with stuff already on it (mp3) and all i had to do was go into disk management and re-active the disk and boom everything is back, installing the drive its self was a breeze connect 2 cables and screw down the top, if wanted u can secure the drive inside the enclosure but i skipped that step because the drive is snug in there ne ways. another nice/annoying (sometimes) feature is the led light its blue and light blue, well when there is activity it blinks, so its like a strobe if there alot of activity ex.. raring a file or unraring, but normal mp3 useage (what im using it for) it blinks like once every 15secs or so, u can also turn that blink feature off it you would like to, one problem however did find was the way it sits is on 4 little studs that are metal, they tend to have no grip and slide all over, but if u do like i did in the pics, a few peices of grip material will do the trick, the cost is also very decent i got it for $29.99 with 2day shipping from ebay.

so b4 the pics lets go over pros/cons

pros:

easy setup

mesh grill that allows air to cool the hd (its been running 24hrs+ now and its just a lil warn.. not as hot as it would be in the cas)

its portable!

the blue light is a nice lil feature i guess..

its metal and looks cool

cons:

the 4 metal posts it rests on (tends to slide without griping material)

the blue led blinks when activity

i would recommend this because it does support upto 300gb and ive read places saying they tried the new 400gb drive it in and it worked

usb01.jpg

usb02.jpg

usb03.jpg

usb04.jpg

usb05.jpg

usb06.jpg

usb07.jpg

usb08.jpg

i dont think they have ne more @ the 30.00 price but there are other sellers with a little more cost tho :p

yes it was 29.99 including 2day shipping from cali, and its a brushed aluminum texture, and they are also stackable, i have 3 more on the way :p

update **** THIS THING dont buy one, everytime you reboot the drive disappears and you have to go into windows disk management and reactive it ...i havent figured out ne way to fix :(

How exactly did the makers of this HDD case get the name past Konami??

"Metal Gear Box Substance" vs. "Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance"

METAL%20GEAR%20SUBSTANCE.jpg

I can't be the only one who's made this connection...Hell, even the fonts are nearly identical.

I have this too. I got mine about 6 months ago. It's brilliant, and has worked perfectly. But I got the Firewire Version which I prefer over USB 2.0. Also, mine was from ebay preinstalled with a 120 GB Drive for $130.

Always thought they were called an Icy Box but anyways planning to get the external enclosure's and move my 160GB hard drive into one and then 60GB into another and pick another 200GB and only running a 160GB SATA drive in the PC

• 5 weeks later...