Microsoft Fingerprint Reader

if this thing would work with firefox I'd be on amazon right now

585293918[/snapback]

Yes, it's crazy. It would appear that Microsoft have purposefully disabled support for Firefox. I'm a Firefox devotee myself but have bought one anyway. I'm hoping that one of the following will turn out to be true

a) Through using an older Digital Persona driver Firefox compatibility can be achieved

b) A Firefox extension will be created which will allow for use of the fingerprint reader in Firefox.

I have read it is also possible to use the classic login screen in conjunction with the fingerprint reader for those who prefer that to the welcome screen.

585287879[/snapback]

Yes it does without any problems. :D

An interesting update on the Firefox compatibility front:

The DigitalPersona software will remember one simple logon, but only for a HTTP authentication prompt.

This means if you use webmail with your domain name, login to your home router or access .HTACCESS secured folders, you can use the MS Fingerprint Reader with FireFox to access one of those resources.

I use it for logging in to my WRT54G.

Bloomer Bloomsby

Hey guys,

I just got the MS Optical Desktop w/Fingerprint reader. Please send e-mails to mswish@microsoft.com complaining about the lack of compatibility with Firefox! I spoke with their customer service rep and he said they have received many complaints about this, and he told me to email mswish@microsoft.com to demand Firefox support. I suggest you guys do the same to try to send them a message.

talk about lulling people into a false sense of security... rule #1 of password protection, dont leave it anywhere on your computer (which this does)

talk about lulling people into a false sense of security... rule #1 of password protection, dont leave it anywhere on your computer (which this does)

585359601[/snapback]

I'm sure you must be aware it is "left on your computer" in an encrypted form?

I heard it was quite early in its journey to actually working, effectivally. Rumours that i heard, were that sometimes, it wouldnt recognize the finger or something and this was causing problems. Again, i stress that i heard this and doesnt really mean that this is true :blink:

I noticed that it "freaks out" a little once I've connected via remote desktop. Afterwards it doesn't recognize the Reader within Maxton (haven't checked if this is a Maxton issue or a global issue, need to check this tonight). Still after disconnecting via remote desktop I'm able to log on locally with my fingerprint (works all the time). Only the issue within Maxton is there.

I noticed that it "freaks out" a little once I've connected via remote desktop. Afterwards it doesn't recognize the Reader within Maxton (haven't checked if this is a Maxton issue or a global issue, need to check this tonight). Still after disconnecting via remote desktop I'm able to log on locally with my fingerprint (works all the time). Only the issue within Maxton is there.

585390818[/snapback]

Noticed the same (about the Remote Desktop)... it doesnt work properly after using remote desktop.. unless i restart..

• 2 weeks later...

What sucks with Digital Persona is that if you lose the install cd that comes with the fingerprint reader.... you have to pay for another cd. Can't simply go to their website and download the software. I refuse to pay for software for a product I own. If anyone could zip and email a copy of the software to sparkstsa@gmail.com I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT

• 3 weeks later...

I like those gadgets and I bought a fingerprint reader 4 weeks ago. I wonder why you recommend it as I had to discover that the software 'DigitalPersona' is rubbish simply because it uses the password of Windows XP. All stupid crackers know how to avoid this password. I want to start a opensource project @ sourceforge.net that produces a software that provides more security.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am using the digital persona devicee since last year august 2004, I was trying at that time to find a solution to my password collection of a hell.

Read the review at my homepage:

http://waltercedric.com/Mambo/PC-and-Hardw...int-reader.html

using the microsoft driver do not work with my device, the device send a different usb id than the microsoft version -> device not recognized.

The M$ driver contains a lot less features....

Conclusion: not a secure device in any means...too much secret in this device. Do not rely on it!!! (still better than using your birthday or highschool name password through ;-) )

Hi all

Anyone use MS fingerprint reader on Windows XP 64Bit?

I'am trying, but the software can't install:-)....MS in a nutshell:-)

Any ideas?

Michael

Have any of you guys found a workaround for Firefox? Such as installing the old digitalPersona password manager software?

585604989[/snapback]

I sent my DigitalPersona software to another member here who had bought the new Microsoft one, and he said it would not install. Apparently MS has changed the ID of the reader.

Hi all

Anyone use MS fingerprint reader on Windows XP 64Bit?

I'am trying, but the software can't install:-)....MS in a nutshell:-)

Any ideas?

Michael

I imagine that's because you need the 64-bit drivers for the reader. Did you get those?

• 2 months later...

I just got one of these scanners, but I have one very big problem with it. What is a logon screen for it in programs??? Because neither on DC++ where I would have a logon screen, or on several of my programs where there is a logon screen the program doesn't recognise it as one. What kind of fields should there be???

I bought one that came along with a keyboard and mouse combo. (fingerprint reader is built in with keyboard) I have one question, is the red light suppose to stay on all the time?

Thanks in advance. :)