Microsoft Fingerprint Reader

ironrainomega

Yes, It's sometimes irritating but you can get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...
ThePast

While being very convenient for logging in to password protected websites, logging in to your pc etc. fingerprint sensors can quite easily be fooled, as described in this .pdf

So while I can see myself using a fingerprint sensor at some time I still would continue to rely on safe passwords for many things.

raider360

Well. That's a great kb i see now :happy:

SerialStorm

Wow, what a supprise that this thread was revived from the dead :ninja:

protoss_chaos

I would not use this, trust me. I have had digital persona products in the past.. It's 50 USD to upgrade the drivers you know... My U.are.U pro doesn't work right in XP, but i have to buy 2 upgrades to get the software that is XP compatable. I can either stick with Windows 98, or not use the thumbpad... I chose the latter. Look on eBay, they are hardly selling, this thing will prolly fade out once longhorn is released and its $50 for a software update on your keyboard LOL!

jimbo12141

tbh i dont see the point in it; why spend 30 ? or 60 $ on buying a different password mechanism when you can input passwords into the pc for free? Crazy!:blink::

• 3 months later...
norphf

Has anyone found a way to use it with logon while the computer is a domain computer?

• 2 weeks later...
natem

i know this thread is ancient but i'm hoping someone can help me.... if noone responds i'll post this somewhere else

anyways i'm a college student in a suite, and i was thinking of using this as a sort of electronic doorbell

basically i want to have it outside the door, and be connected to a computer inside... i want it to play different sound files based on who uses the reader.... ie if its someone in the suite it will say something like "X is back" or if its someone we dont like just play nothing, or if its someone unknown, play a door bell sound

it sounded kindof interesting, and i think my suitemates are interested in getting it, but i wanted to know if it was possible. it seems like a very simple idea, but everyone only talks about using it for passwords

lloydo

That's an awesome idea! If you get it to work, definitely write a tutorial for it! (Sorry I have no idea).

SixFootJockey
i know this thread is ancient but i'm hoping someone can help me.... if noone responds i'll post this somewhere else

anyways i'm a college student in a suite, and i was thinking of using this as a sort of electronic doorbell

basically i want to have it outside the door, and be connected to a computer inside... i want it to play different sound files based on who uses the reader.... ie if its someone in the suite it will say something like "X is back" or if its someone we dont like just play nothing, or if its someone unknown, play a door bell sound

it sounded kindof interesting, and i think my suitemates are interested in getting it, but i wanted to know if it was possible.  it seems like a very simple idea, but everyone only talks about using it for passwords

586742558[/snapback]

It shouldn't be too hard. You can grab a free SDK from www.griaule.com that is compatible with Microsoft's Fingerprint Reader. There are several other SDKs around, but these can cost a few hundred dollars.

bobdude

:( :) i want one of those fingerpring readers to keep my parents off my system

bobdude
tbh i dont see the point in it; why spend 30 ? or 60 $ on buying a different password mechanism when you can input passwords into the pc for free? Crazy!:blink::

586122961[/snapback]

yeah but anyone could hack a password a finger print is urs and irs only thats why god ****in game us a fingerprint

• 2 months later...
+Peewee210

Sorry to dig up an old thread, i was thinking about getting one of these but i found out that it doesn't work in Firefox. Is this still true? or have microsoft released another version which is compatible? Can you use the microsoft reader with different software which works in firefox?

Thanks in advance :)

• 4 months later...
Nor

Anyone have the Digital Persona U are U personal software I lost my CD and can't find the software online anywhere. :cry:

p858snake

:( :) i want one of those fingerpring readers to keep my parents off my system

why not choose a password they dont know?

JMann

No it isn't compatible with Firefox still, also when I start my PC with it in it slows down the PC when loading the resources on the login screen, anyone know a decent fix?

JMann

• 3 weeks later...
Quillz
No it isn't compatible with Firefox still, also when I start my PC with it in it slows down the PC when loading the resources on the login screen, anyone know a decent fix?

JMann

Have you tried Firefox using the IE Tab extension? Otherwise, this is a Microsoft product, so I wouldn't ever expect to fully support any browsers outside of IE.
»X«

it sounded kindof interesting, and i think my suitemates are interested in getting it, but i wanted to know if it was possible. it seems like a very simple idea, but everyone only talks about using it for passwords

When i started reading that I thought you wanted fingerprint entry. That would be awesome! :laugh:

• 1 month later...
iomega

I bought this product, gotta say its really good..

I didnt think the fingerprint reader was gonna read that fast..

Unimatrix Xero

ive got one of these and its brilliant, had mine for well over 1 year now

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
dougggg

I think it is great.

However, can someone please tell me how to change a password? For instance, some sites make you change your password periodically. How do I go into the fingerprint reader software and change it? I cannot figure it out and cannot find instructions that tell you anywhere! Thank you.

Doug

bdsams

i think ill probably get one of these, thanks!

SnowRanger13

Diden't they see if they could fool one of these on Mythbusters?