Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

hey, i have a question

i have a gamecube, and this monitor just went on sale. i want to be able to play my cube using this monitor. is it possible? it uses composite (the red, yellow and white cables). and how would the sound work on it.

Thats exactly what i do, the graphics are better on a normal TV(polygon jaggies look horrible) but the colors look better on the monitor.

You can use the S-Video cable to hook the video

For the sound i just use a Female RCA (White, red cable) to 3.5mm (Check Radio Shack), and i hook that to the input of my sound card and use my computer speakers...

3570_m.jpg

Thats exactly what i do, the graphics are better on a normal TV(polygon jaggies look horrible) but the colors look better on the monitor.

You can use the S-Video cable to hook the video

For the sound i just use a Female RCA (White, red cable) to 3.5mm (Check Radio Shack), and i hook that to the input of my sound card and use my computer speakers...

3570_m.jpg

thx for replying. so ur saying that the graphics will look worse on this monitor than a tv?

also, do i have to use the s video? the monitor has a yellow port, cant i use that for video? or are u saying that u use the yellow port and thats why the grafics look bad?

can u tell me what the green and blue ports do? does it have something to do with watching tv?

thx for the help!!

thx for replying. so ur saying that the graphics will look worse on this monitor than a tv?

also, do i have to use the s video? the monitor has a yellow port, cant i use that for video? or are u saying that u use the yellow port and thats why the grafics look bad?

can u tell me what the green and blue ports do? does it have something to do with watching tv?

thx for the help!!

Im using the S-Video cable because it is better, i have no idea how it looks with the yellow cable.

Green and Blue?, you are prolly talking about the Component Input of the FPW 2405 (The 24" version), the FPW2005 only has the yellow(RCA) and S-Video.

The reason the graphics look worse than a TV is because of the low resolution of the gamecube and the high resolution of the monitor, you have to expand the image in order to use the whole area, i dont want to get technical because im not an expert but i think it looks better on a TV cuz TV's have scanlines so they kind of hide the jaggies of the polygons. Im not saying its un-playable on the monitor, just saying that the cube looks better on a regular TV, i dont have a TV in my room so i use the monitor to play.

does the 2005fpw come with a dvi cable?

Yes

Im using the S-Video cable because it is better, i have no idea how it looks with the yellow cable.

Green and Blue?, you are prolly talking about the Component Input of the FPW 2405 (The 24" version), the FPW2005 only has the yellow(RCA) and S-Video.

The reason the graphics look worse than a TV is because of the low resolution of the gamecube and the high resolution of the monitor, you have to expand the image in order to use the whole area, i dont want to get technical because im not an expert but i think it looks better on a TV cuz TV's have scanlines so they kind of hide the jaggies of the polygons. Im not saying its un-playable on the monitor, just saying that the cube looks better on a regular TV, i dont have a TV in my room so i use the monitor to play.

Yes

thx for the quick reply. yeah i was thinking of the 2405 because on CNET's website they have the 2405's video review on the fpw2005's review page. yeah i think i will just stick to the yellow cable since i already have to buy a cable for the sound. if the graphics are really bad then i'll buy the s-video. i have another question. the picture-by-picture function of the monitor can allow me to play games on cube while browsing a site, so since this is using half the res of the monitor, wont this improve the graphics a bit? i also read on some sites that people use this monitor to watch tv, how is this possible? thx again

I'm going to buy this monitor in a few days when it goes on sale for $599CDN. I had been thinking of the 2405 but i figure i'll wait a few years and spend a big chunk once all this hdcp or hdmi or whatever gets sorted out.

My only concern is that I'll be upgrading from a Dell 22" CRT (only 19.8" visible), but with the widescreen ratio of the 2005 I'm worried it might actually seem smaller :( Has anyone gone from a large CRT to this monitor?

How's the revisions on this panel now a days? Haven't been following it, planning on getting one as soon as I get my taxes back. It's currently $440 USD with 3 year warranty!! Anyone know when the new 20.1 inch widescreen is releasing so I know how long I can wait before they'll be out of these? I prefer this look over the new look, don't really care about slightly upgraded specs, plus don't think will be able to find the new one at this price.

So how are these lately? Is the backlight bleeding at a minimal and is the latest revision pretty good quality? How long do you think I'll have until these will be gone/how cheap do you think it will get?

Any information helps! thanks.

thx for the quick reply. yeah i was thinking of the 2405 because on CNET's website they have the 2405's video review on the fpw2005's review page. yeah i think i will just stick to the yellow cable since i already have to buy a cable for the sound. if the graphics are really bad then i'll buy the s-video. i have another question. the picture-by-picture function of the monitor can allow me to play games on cube while browsing a site, so since this is using half the res of the monitor, wont this improve the graphics a bit? i also read on some sites that people use this monitor to watch tv, how is this possible? thx again

hehe thats funny, i do that all the time, i split the screen and talk on MSN with my friends while i play Smash Bros or Metroid, the graphics do improve a lot when you do this :)...

I also watch TV with mine, i dont know how everyone else do it, what i do is that i hooked a VCR to the yellow input in the monitor...

dsc002185rs.jpg

Seinfield :laugh:

hehe thats funny, i do that all the time, i split the screen and talk on MSN with my friends while i play Smash Bros or Metroid, the graphics do improve a lot when you do this :)...

I also watch TV with mine, i dont know how everyone else do it, what i do is that i hooked a VCR to the yellow input in the monitor...

dsc002185rs.jpg

Seinfield :laugh:

how do u get sound?

EDIT: sorry, just realized ur the same guy who uses the female rca.

Edited by watever1234

What theme/visual style is that and how do you get that sidebar? I could never figure it out.
The sidebar could be one of many programs out there. I can only think of http://www.desktopsidebar.com and http://desktop.google.com at the moment, I am pretty sure Samurize and Ave Desk can accomplish this too, could probably find more via google.

I have seen that visual style but it has been awhile, possibly in neowin's completed visual styles, https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=36 but I am not sure. The visual style topic would of been created long ago is all I know, if it was here, as the person you quoted posted back in November 2004.

The sidebar could be one of many programs out there. I can only think of http://www.desktopsidebar.com and http://desktop.google.com at the moment, I am pretty sure Samurize and Ave Desk can accomplish this too, could probably find more via google.

I have seen that visual style but it has been awhile, possibly in neowin's completed visual styles, https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=36 but I am not sure. The visual style topic would of been created long ago is all I know, if it was here, as the person you quoted posted back in November 2004.

Ok i'll check it out and look around. I also heard it could be windows vista? I'm not sure though.

What theme/visual style is that and how do you get that sidebar? I could never figure it out.

Looks a bit like Royal Four and the dates roughly match, this was released on sep 2004

i have had this mintor for a while now and it is unbelievable!!!

i got an xbox 360 and i hooked it up with the vga connection.... it looks beautiful, all i have to do is click a button and i switch between my dvi pc connection and vga 360 connection..

i was just curious if i could set the picture in picture for dvi and vga, it doenst look like it wants to let me.. thanks!

heh it IS desktop sidebar (actually really cool), but the theme looks like royal four but i dont see the grey one.

i was just curious if i could set the picture in picture for dvi and vga, it doenst look like it wants to let me.. thanks!
You can't, though I wish it was possible.
Anyone know what that update in Windows Update for 2005FPW does? After installed I get error in Photoshop that color profile is corrupted.
This is "normal", as it has happened to myself and just about everyone else. There are many ways to fix this, simple easiest way is probably just to run Adobe Gamma.

anyone know of the best sites to visit, that follow the dell deals and coupons and stuff?

edit: nevermind found quite a few on google.

Edited by JonathanSmith68

• 2 weeks later...

I now have this monitor and i absolutely LOVE it! Since the 5G ipod doesnt come with a charger i had to leave my computer on to charge it, but since the display has an integrated powered USB hub I can charge my ipod right off the monitor without turning my computer on! NO dead pixels too :D

If you watch dell you can get deals on them, but right now they are back up to $530 ish...

It's back down to $396.75! USD Just ordered one, got next day shipping for 27 bucks or something, totalling $424 USD.

I knew it'd go on a huge sale right before they release the 2007fpw

I'm so excited, was trying to buy one of these last summer (well the 2001fp) when i was scammed by packerjoe, finally am getting one. :D

I'm just hoping for no back light bleeding or dead pixels.

Edited by JonathanSmith68

It's back down to $396.75! USD Just ordered one, got next day shipping for 27 bucks or something, totalling $424 USD.

I knew it'd go on a huge sale right before they release the 2007fpw

I'm so excited, was trying to buy one of these last summer (well the 2001fp) when i was scammed by packerjoe, finally am getting one. :D

I'm just hoping for no back light bleeding or dead pixels.

really? we just ordered 20 of them at work at $530 each today! but that was under the business dell site...