Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

It's the blurring that bothers me. I get bothered by even movie theatres motion or even television. I can't see why it doesn't bother people when gaming but to me it's really distracting. Most people seem to not notice a single thing, but any movement at all and I can tell that everything is blurring, not ghosting like a trail, but just blurred as in a motion blur while the pixels are changing color.

586640553[/snapback]

I feel sorry for you, you have great eyes and sadly monitors that meet your visual requirements cost allot of money :(.

I wasn't talking about the dimensions. I was wondering about the brightness, contrast, colour accuracy, view angle, and so on.

586642313[/snapback]

In that respect it will probably be inferior (the 20")--with mine, I have to play around with my video card's color controls to get it to look right. Unfortunately my video card is one DVI / one VGA so that might be part of it.

It's not small, it's just an illusion from that photo  :whistle:

586642557[/snapback]

it's small if you compare it with a regular ratio 20" LCD monitor... and the price is around the same... that's why it's sux...

it's small if you compare it with a regular ratio 20" LCD monitor... and the price is around the same... that's why it's sux...

586647507[/snapback]

It's shorter but wider, it's not "smaller" and it doesn't suck, and of course it's the same price because it's basically the same area (ok the widescreen has 8% less).

Play widescreen-compatible games and watch a movie and tell me it sucks.

Just a note: I'm on my 10th 2005FPW after replacing it so many times for bad backlighting and broken pixels.

I ordered one for my girlfriend too, and it had bad backlighting and she's now on her third.

Anyone know if the yield of high quality screens is better on the 2405FPW?

Just a note: I'm on my 10th 2005FPW after replacing it so many times for bad backlighting and broken pixels.

I ordered one for my girlfriend too, and it had bad backlighting and she's now on her third.

Anyone know if the yield of high quality screens is better on the 2405FPW?

586647662[/snapback]

2405FPW's are much better :)

What are some of the problems that a 2405FPW could have? So far I've noticed a weird pressure point about 1 cm to the left of the screen's centre, and also a slight bit of backlight bleeding.

The 2405fpw's are supposed to be better and manufactured differently somehow so there is less backlight bleed, but it's always a luck of the draw with any monitor. There shouldn't be pressure points, the screen should be entirely clear of any of that. I wouldn't be so picky by going up to the screen with my nose against it and looking for the tiniest defect, but if you can see it from normal use without forcing yourself to see if on purpose, then I would probably get an exchange.

You could post a pic, that would be cool ;)

I'm sorry but...

Packaging 4/10 (cheap box and packing materials and no printed manual, but I guess that what makes Dell's products cheaper than the competition)

cheap box? its a standard cardboard box, and not a retail store product, so a brown box doesn't really matter... and packing materials is the same materials you'd find in any LCD screen's box, heck i think they pack it in there better then most and protect it better then a lot of places for shipping.

No printed manuals, how much could you possibly need to know? its a monitor...

I'm sorry but...

cheap box? its a standard cardboard box, and not a retail store product, so a brown box doesn't really matter... and packing materials is the same materials you'd find in any LCD screen's box, heck i think they pack it in there better then most and protect it better then a lot of places for shipping.

No printed manuals, how much could you possibly need to know? its a monitor...

586659161[/snapback]

Definately, the boxing is great for an LCD monitor. There isn't any brand that would pack it any better. There is protection for the LCD panel with a foam cover and then you have the plastic in front of the screen to protect from scratching, and tons of styrofoam molds that is very thick and fills a huge box. It is really packed well and in a much bigger box than necessary with so thick foam it would never be damaged.

Just picked one of these up. It ships on monday :-). I hope I can get it in my dorm .

Congrats :D

You will love it, seriously, it's the best monitor out there for widescreen at the moment. Even Apples Cinema displays can't compare to the many inputs this monitor has and the colors that will fit most PC setups.

Even Apples Cinema displays can't compare to the many inputs this monitor has and the colors that will fit most PC setups.

586659179[/snapback]

The 20" doesn't have Component input. That imho, totally sucks. It renders the LCD totally useless for most HDTV devices (except DVI compatible ones).

I know that there are DVI / VGA -> Component, but I cant find a cable that takes component and converts it into DVI or VGA.

I need to be ready for XBOX360 ;).

And, I guess it will fit in my dorm room. On the page before this, someone posted their 20" widescreen next to a 17" or 19" lcd.. it actually is a picture of a dorm room in my university... *small world* :cool: (I go to Stony Brook University)

I've wanted a 2005FPW for a while. Finally took the plunge last week when coupon codes brought the price down to $394 (US dollars). I received the monitor yesterday. I was upgrading from a 19" Trinitron CRT. True, the screen doesn't seem huge to me, but the extra horizontal real estate is nice. To take advantage of that, I moved my taskbar from the bottom of the screen to the left side, thereby gaining a bit more usable vertical space. Overall, I'm happy with the size and the design and the features.

Now, on to the negative. The monitor seems to have a couple of adjacent dead pixels, and it has significant baclight leakage in the bottom corners and along the top edge. Quite evident with a dark screen in low light. It's Revision A02, and was manufactured in Mexico in September 2005. It's a shame to see that they still haven't gotten this issue under control. I called Dell, and they gave me no hassle about exchanging the monitor. They're sending a new one via next day air. I'll report back when I see whether the replacement has the same problem. I hope I won't have to go through multiple exchanges, as some of the people here have. I am a perfectionist, though, and won't settle for a flawed product.

The 20" doesn't have Component input.  That imho, totally sucks.  It renders the LCD totally useless for most HDTV devices (except DVI compatible ones).

I know that there are DVI / VGA -> Component, but I cant find a cable that takes component and converts it into DVI or VGA.

I need to be ready for XBOX360 ;).

And, I guess it will fit in my dorm room.  On the page before this, someone posted their 20" widescreen next to a 17" or 19" lcd.. it actually is a picture of a dorm room in my university... *small world*  :cool:  (I go to Stony Brook University)

586659826[/snapback]

Ya, but the Apple display doesn't even have VGA/Composite I don't think... correct me if I'm wrong but they don't have as many.

Hopefully there is a way to hookup a 360 to the 20" with an adapter cable.

The 20" doesn't have Component input.? That imho, totally sucks.? It renders the LCD totally useless for most HDTV devices (except DVI compatible ones).

I need to be ready for XBOX36;);).

And, I guess it will fit in my dorm room.? On the page before this, someone posted their 20" widescreen next to a 17" or 19" lcd.. it actually is a picture of a dorm room in my university... *small world:cool:ool:? (I go to Stony Brook University)

586659826[/snapback]

Actually that was my bedroom...this is the dorm room one:

As for console gaming, I've hooked up my N64 to it (via S-Video) and the stupid thing totally distorts:crazy:razy:

post-11870-1129244443_thumb.jpg

Dunno if this has been postied here, but this thread was a great for helping me decide to purchase the 2005FPW, I thought I'd let y'all know.

There's a few promotional codes floating around that will bring the price of the 2005FPW down to about $437 (after shipping and misc. charges).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...19&sku=320-4111

On the checkout page, enter these two codes, one at a time:

WFQ9X9GW1VT?2R (35% off)

B5SM90M526JSBK ($60 off stackable)

These codes expire 10/18/05 5:59am CST or after 5000 redemptions.

I get my monitor next week - can't wait!

Good luck!

~Kahunna

:ninja:

An ergotron DS 100 series. Incidentally, ATI broke console gaming with their All-in-Wonders a few months back, which is why I had to try doing it through the 2005FPW. Ugh...I hate their MMC software. Logitech is a close second though; I bought a dinovo laser this week, and OMG, they seem to be in a contest with ATi to see who can make the crappiest software for their otherwise awesome (and damned expensive--this crap should work right) hardware. Some kind of firmware upgrade (mandatory) kept crashing, leaving my kb/mouse nonfunctional until I finally applied it on another machine. Also the mouse goes horribly laggy sometimes and the media pad sometimes stops updating the media status display, and sometimes play/pause restarts the track. Sometimes when autoscrolling (middle mouse button) the little scroll arrow decides to scoot sideways across the screen at random. Argh!

I miss my intellimouse explorer 3.0 :cry:

Since that died (and MS freely replaced it with the stupid 4.0 with that awful smooth scroll wheel--no games kids!), I figured I'd go the whole 9 yards and get the dinovo, since it goes so nicely with my setup--i'm an eye-candy ###### : \

I have been using MS mice and keyboards for 7 years or so (since the natural keyboard elite and intellimouse pro) with never a problem. Their software is great, it lets you remap the mouse depending on what app is in focus (i remapped the middle, back and forward buttons for pause, prev. track, and next track in winamp...it was also helpful for games that don't natively support mouse4 and mouse5) but i'm an eye-candy ###### :pinch:

Edited by darkmark327

Actually that was my bedroom...this is the dorm room one:

As for console gaming, I've hooked up my N64 to it (via S-Video) and the stupid thing totally distorts it  :crazy:

586668141[/snapback]

sorry for quating the picture but what kind of stand you using for dual 2005FPW?

TIA