Antec NeoPower Review

Antec is known for producing top class cases and power supplies, I needed to buy a new power supply so I could pass on my 400W to my younger brother and look forward to maybe an nVIDIA 6800GT ;) or ATI Radeon X800 XT PE :D, so I dipped and got an Antec NeoPower 480W.

Antec has done a nice Matrix name with the black background and green text on the box

The moment you open the box you find tonnes of wires

to be precise

- 1x Fan Connectors

- 1x 24pin to 20pin ATX adapter

- 1x PCI Express Connectors

- 3x Standard Molex

- 1x SATA

- 1x Floppy Connectors

- 1x AC Cord

- Extras SATA & Molex connectors

In my package the AC Cord and extras SATA & Molex connectors are missing I've contacted Antec for them to send me some.

The power supply has only one 120MM fan located on the bottom side of the power supply

It has four power connectors and one fan only connector for you to connect the necessary wire

The back of the power supply is covered by a grill

If you look at the picture carefully you will notice a few heat sinks also there is no watt switching switch as the power supply automatically switches between the 230W and 110W depending on where you are.

I connected everything up and when I booted I got the following voltages

CONCLUSION.

I have to say that the noise decreased when I started using the Antec NeoPower also the amount of cable reduced as you can see the picture on the below on the left is before and the right is after

Wish that they had the power supply in maybe 500W or more who knows maybe in the future, the NeoPower works with current motherboards as well as the PCIe as the power connector by standard comes with a 24pin connecter and in the package is a 24pin to 20pin connector for the current motherboards, Antec NeoPower is the way to go for quite and less cable clutter, I personally think its well priced.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Edited by Mr magoo

the antec neopower is a right idea. i love the modular design, but compared to the ultra x-connect, the neopower just seems half-assed. the cables still look like crap, the main cable is still connected, and the finish look rather bland. i guess i just expected more out of antec.

the antec neopower is a right idea. i love the modular design, but compared to the ultra x-connect, the neopower just seems half-assed.  the cables still look like crap, the main cable is still connected, and the finish look rather bland.  i guess i just expected more out of antec.

584994954[/snapback]

Architecturally the NeoPower is way ahead of the X-Connect.

can someone explain architectually how the antec is so much better than the x-connect? you guys act like antec makes these untouchable PSUs.

antec PSUs are just a step above the generic PSU, and the x-connect is just as good as the antec. i've yet to come across a review that said the x-connect couldn't keep up. now if you guys were talking about a PC&P PSU, then ok yeah, i'd believe you, since they are head & shoulders above anything out there. but you're giving antec way too much credit.

can someone explain architectually how the antec is so much better than the x-connect?  you guys act like antec makes these untouchable PSUs. 

antec PSUs are just a step above the generic PSU, and the x-connect is just as good as the antec.  i've yet to come across a review that said the x-connect couldn't keep up.  now if you guys were talking about a PC&P PSU, then ok yeah, i'd believe you, since they are head & shoulders above anything out there.  but you're giving antec way too much credit.

585022615[/snapback]

ATX 12v 2.0 and its Dual 12v Rails Seperate it immediately from the X-Connect.

ATX 12v 2.0:

1.1. Scope

This document provides design suggestions and reference specifications for a family of power supplies that comply with the ATX Specification, Version 2.03? for motherboards and chassis. It includes supplementary information not expressly detailed in the ATX Specification, such as information about the physical form factor of the power supply, cooling requirements, connector configuration, and pertinent electrical and signal timing specifications.

This document is provided as a convenience only and is not intended to replace the user?s independent design and validation activity. It should not be inferred that all ATX12V power supplies must conform exactly to the content of this document. The design specifics described herein are not intended to support all possible system configurations. System power supply needs vary widely depending on factors such as the application (that is, for desktop, workstation, or server), intended ambient environment (temperature, line voltage), or motherboard power requirements.

1.2. Key Changes for ATX12V Version 2.0 and later as Compared with ATX and Pervious Versions of ATX12V Power Supply

This section briefly summarizes the major changes made to this document that now defines ,ATX12V power supply. With the move to 12V voltage regulators for the processor, ATXguidelines for 5V as main power are no longer provided.

1.2.1. Increased +12 VDC output capability

System components that use 12V are continuing to increase in power. In cases where

expected current requirements is greater than 18A a second 12 V rail should be made

available. ATX12V power supplies should be designed to accommodate these increased +12 VDC currents.

1.2.2. Minimum Efficiency

Minimum measured efficiency is required to be 70% at full and typical (~50%) load and 60% at light (~20%) load. New recommended guidance has been added to provide direction for future requirements.

1.2.3. Main Power Connector:

The 2 x 10 main power connector has been replaced by a 2 x 12 connector. This was made to support 75 watt PCI Express*requirements. Pinout assignments are based on the SSI recommendation.

With the added 12V, 5V, and 3.3V pins the need for an Aux Power connector is no longer needed and the guidance for this connector has been removed.

1.2.4. Separate current limit for 12V2 on the 2x2 connector:

The 12V rail on the 2 x 2 power connector should be a separate current limited output to meet the requirements of UL and EN 60950.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspe...%20PSDG2.01.pdf

yeah, the xconnect is still atx 12v v1.1, good point. in terms of performance though, the x-connect doesn't seem to suffer at all. i just get tired of people thinking antec is the greatest psu company ever.

Are there any other modular PSUs out there besides those two? I like the clean look of the case without the power cables running everywhere.

585025130[/snapback]

None that I can find

yeah, the xconnect is still atx 12v v1.1, good point.  in terms of performance though, the x-connect doesn't seem to suffer at all.  i just get tired of people thinking antec is the greatest psu company ever.

585025123[/snapback]

it ain't.. Forton is (Y) :p

Is that case the Antec PLUSVIEW 1000AMG? because i just got that one, exact one, and i got the exact power supply haha, it's so nice, and i love the case, my god, installing stuff inside is never easier than before.

good review (Y)

585033546[/snapback]

thank you

Is that case the Antec PLUSVIEW 1000AMG? because i just got that one, exact one, and i got the exact power supply haha, it's so nice, and i love the case, my god, installing stuff inside is never easier than before.

585068792[/snapback]

I agree

thank you

I agree

585073234[/snapback]

just a question, is it me, or is it my DVD Writer size, but for the case, you cant actually install a drive in the first slot at the top haha, because when you close the door, you're stuffed haha.