Legal Pot Coming ?

Look Keldyn, nobody here supports smoking yourself stupid. We are all supporting the cause of being able to smoke for fun once in a while. T'is all. I'm a very good student, i have no problems studying, i have a girlfriend, my parents know i smoke once in a while and see very well that im not affected. I have ADHD, and it calmed me down a lot, it helped me. Now im sorry for your brother but i personally have NEVER EVER heard of someone stealing for weed...

dude, this is a tech forum after all... i haven't seen many computer geek stoners (i guess i was the only one i ever met).

And n3wt... i smoked... for a long time... it's addictive... just not chemically... mentally it is... im not sure how to explain it but im sure you get my point

585009485[/snapback]

That is exactly how it is. It is the psychological hold which makes the drug so dangerous. I've known people who have beat on their own mothers because they needed money for their fix. THAT is an addiction.

it is possible to become emotionally dependent of marijuana

But by definition that is not an addiction, it is a want, not a biological need. And I have known many many potheads, and never heard of anything even approaching what Keldyn is describing, it seems extreme even for a heroine addict.

No, I am not exaggerating. It is exactly what happened to my own brother and I see precisely the same with young people which I deal with on a daily basis. Work in the social sciences field and you will see just how fun it is educating kids with nothing better to do then smoking their brains out.

585009472[/snapback]

With all due respect, you are working in social services. The people that make it you, have problems that is why they are seeking (or being forced into) social services.

I think you'd be alarmed if you found out just how many functioning "potheads" surround you.

I think you'd be alarmed if you found out just how many functioning "potheads" surround you.

I would say that among my acquaintences its about a 70 30 split of those who aren't and those who are.

First of all, i feel this is by FAR the most logical and evolved discussion over pot i have ever read on these boards lol.

Usually it's all the anti's going: Oh Noesssss druggiessss111!!!oneoennoeelevenhundredeleven!1one!1! Drugs are bad mmmmkay

And us going: nooooesss drugz are g00t

Now, Keldyn, i trust you man, im sure you're not bsing us with this story but dude... that is AMAZINGLY extreme...

n3wt... i didn't know there was a difference... Well either way i can tell you it was hard for me to quit, not because of not getting a fix, because of all this empty time... like a friday after school, before going out in the evening... i used to just get a J or 2 and leave with a couple buddies, chill at the beach, play soccer, watch a movie... chill ya know... now i gotta sit around my computer :/

I would say that among my acquaintences its about a 70 30 split of those who aren't and those who are.

585009514[/snapback]

I don't think I know a person who didn't smoke at least somewhat during their lifetime. I know a gentlemen who is a true blue pothead, who happens to work for Lockheed Martin designing satilites for NASA. He supports his entire family (his disabled father and his younger siblings) and is for all intents and purposes a completely upstanding citizen.

I also know guys who are currently out on bail who smoke, drug use does not define a person. I'm sorry it just isn't that easy.

I suppose I did not start off my argument with the best of statements. I'll just say this. I am not condemning the casual usage of the drug. I simply acknowledge it is dangerous and it is a sad reality that many, many young people fall victim to it's lure. It's a vicious cycle and most that become hooked on marijuana often end up moving on to harder drugs later in life. That too has been proven.

As for "functioning" potheads, I speak regularly with a good many of those who use it. Some of them are quite intelligent people. But again, they are smart enough to know when too much is too much...

i just don't see how alcohol and nicotine-products are legal yet pot is somehow seen as "worse". the same approach we use for alcohol should be used for pot: use responsibly! it's all in good fun unless you start drinking and driving or use it to solve life's problems. as far as medical use - um, that should be between you and your doctor. i don't smoke pot btw :)

I suppose I did not start off my argument with the best of statements. I'll just say this. I am not condemning the casual usage of the drug. I simply acknowledge it is dangerous and it is a sad reality that many, many young people fall victim to it's lure. It's a vicious cycle and most that become hooked on marijuana often end up moving on to harder drugs later in life. That too has been proven.

As for "functioning" potheads, I speak regularly with a good many of those who use it. Some of them are quite intelligent people. But again, they are smart enough to know when too much is too much...

585009539[/snapback]

*Stands up and claps*

Now you're making sense, especially that last sentence:

But again, they are smart enough to know when too much is too much...

:yes:

ok so when are we legalyzing acid now ;)

Now im sorry for your brother but i personally have NEVER EVER heard of someone stealing for weed...

585009494[/snapback]

Sorry. I missed that part. Perhaps it is different down here where I grew up. It is hard to comment on other parts of the world, but in Australia, it is a common occurence. Breaking and entering, theft, etc. The number one cause of crime down in Australia has been tied to drugs. It is not uncommon for kids to go hopping your fence in the middle of the night looking for plants. Sad no?

The illegality of marijuana is tied to racist motives rather than public good. Back in the 30's in tech South West, they were experiencing an unemployment crisis and were losing jobs to low wage immigrant Mexicans. Coincidently, they also smoke pot on a higher basis than the whites in the area. Problem solved, make pot illegal and take care of the Mexican problem. Ditto with helping "control" the black community.

They passed a law requiring a federal stamp in order to posses it, yet in order to get the stamp you had to have pot in hand, therefore ensuring your arrest. Pretty clever, but not based in any way on health related issues. In, fact the first and largest research into the "epidemic" was conducted in NY by Mayor La Guardia and found that there were no significant problems arising from it's use.

That being said, Keldyn is right. It's use is greatly associated with various peripheral crimes, but you could argue that its illegal status places you in a situation that fosters those acts. Maybe if you could buy a pack in a liquor store, you'd be less likely to be jumping fences to steal plants?

Also, someone said that pot is less hazardous than tobacco? No way. Their respective uses may make that true, but in a straight one to one comparison pot is as high or higher in tar and other carcinogens as tobacco cigarettes. Also, the smoke is inhaled much deeper and held longer than tobacco. When was the last time you heard of a guy smoking a filtered joint? :rofl:

The illegality of marijuana is tied to racist motives rather than public good.  Back in the 30's in tech South West, they were experiencing an unemployment crisis and were losing jobs to low wage immigrant Mexicans.  Coincidently, they also smoke pot on a higher basis than the whites in the area.  Problem solved, make pot illegal and take care of the Mexican problem.  Ditto with helping "control" the black community. 

They passed a law requiring a federal stamp in order to posses it, yet in order to get the stamp you had to have pot in hand, therefore ensuring your arrest.  Pretty clever, but not based in any way on health related issues.  In, fact the first and largest research into the "epidemic" was conducted in NY by Mayor La Guardia and found that there were no significant problems arising from it's use.

585009680[/snapback]

Hey I told you that didn't I?

Anyway Keldyn isn't American so that doesn't really apply to him, and I have no idea how or why it is illegal in his home country.

Anyway Keldyn isn't American so that doesn't really apply to him, and I have no idea how or why it is illegal in his home country.

585009717[/snapback]

IMHO it shouldn't matter if he's american or not. Marijuana use doesn't only happen in the US and the debate about shouldn't be confined to americans.

Hey I told you that didn't I?

585009717[/snapback]

Possibly, but most of what I have learned comes from a History Channel documentary and texts I used in my Ethics class when we were discussing drug legalization issues.

yeah man, that's what i said, im amazed at how civilized this is :)

i just wish the pigs here weren't so freakin uptight about weed...

i wasn't hurting nobody... just getting a casual smoke...

actually there is a theory around here that if you smoke weed, you buy from the arabs obviously, and they give money to the terrorists... so if you smoke weed, you're antipatriotic... crazy stuff eh?

but seriously, let's not get started in politics...

can't wait to get out of IsraHell

IMHO it shouldn't matter if he's american or not. Marijuana use doesn't only happen in the US and the debate about shouldn't be confined to americans.

585009768[/snapback]

With regard to strictly the legality of drugs within the United States, well an Australian point of view doesn't really matter, by definition.

Armeck's statements that I quoted deal exclusively with marijuana's legality in the US.

actually there is a theory around here that if you smoke weed, you buy from the arabs obviously, and they give money to the terrorists... so if you smoke weed, you're antipatriotic... crazy stuff eh?

585009858[/snapback]

They used to have an anti-drug commercial that had that on it. Technically, every time you fill up your car you *might* be using oil that came from the Middle East. Perhaps we should walk everywhere to stay safer? :rofl: