[NFL] Rumours that Mcnair may retire?

s3114.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- To be clear, Steve McNair never used the word retirement.

But the co-MVP of the 2003 season sent a clear message that he's hurting, and this time the physical pain mixed with a losing season has the Tennessee quarterback ready to think about quitting.

"I feel like at this point in time you have to take a hard look at it," McNair said after a 31-21 loss to the Houston Texans on Sunday that ended the Titans' playoff hopes and put them in the AFC South cellar.

"Back in the days, I used to play and play well when I was hurt, but at the same time it has taken a toll. I just have to look at it and evaluate myself, but I'm going to continue to work hard this season and do the best I can do to try and win five ballgames."

Source: Espn

He should. Not because he isn't good anymore, he's still a great QB, but the Titans are going downhill. They had their run the past 6 years or so, you can only sustain it for so long. Eddie George was the horse of that team, but now that he is gone, they don't have a back who can take that many carries in a season. So McNair is the man and if he feels he can't do it, then the Titans either have to find another offense to run or he should pack it up.

Terrific football player and a good person. I still remember watching him at Alcorn State, damn near won the Heisman Trophy for a Division II school.

george and mcnair took the worst poundings week in and week out. i really feel bad for those guys. and they never really got what they deserved. yeah, i remember watching mcnair in college too, thats why i'm trying to remember how long he's been in the pros...about 8 years now?

I think that's what they said or ESPN. 8 or 9 years... but trust me.. he's just having a bad year. He's not going to retire just yet. Not unless more is going on then we know right now. What I mean by that is something that would force his hand in retiring.

I may have my facts all mixed up on this:

I heard an interview with Jonny Unitas' son (who is now a golfer), and apparently he was an outstanding football player highly sought after by major schools. They asked him why he pursued golf. He said he asked his Dad which sport he should play, and his dad said "Do you want to be able to walk when you are 50?" "If so, choose golf".

Come to think of it, it may have been Joe Namath's son.

Anyway, the point is, Mcnair may really be feeling the pain now. Him and George were truly warriors on the field. Ray Lewis always said his favorite games were against the Titans. He is a great competitor. I just hope that he knows when to turn that off and call it quits for his own well being.

I may have my facts all mixed up on this:

I heard an interview with Jonny Unitas' son (who is now a golfer), and apparently he was an outstanding football player highly sought after by major schools.  They asked him why he pursued golf.  He said he asked his Dad which sport he should play, and his dad said "Do you want to be able to walk when you are 50?" "If so, choose golf".

Come to think of it, it may have been Joe Namath's son. 

Anyway, the point is, Mcnair may really be feeling the pain now.  Him and George were truly warriors on the field.  Ray Lewis always said his favorite games were against the Titans.  He is a great competitor.  I just hope that he knows when to turn that off and call it quits for his own well being.

585014007[/snapback]

God, Johnny Unitas was terribly beaten by his days in the AFL. So very sad, and he was such a nice guy. The NFL never did anything to help him out either.

Man, I wish Kevin Dyson would have gained that extra yard in the '99 Super Bowl.

If they weren't having a bad year, this wouldn't even come up. To go from one of the top teams in the divison to the worst, makes him want to retire. It seems like anymore, everyone says their going to retire. What a joke.

Steve McNair and Eddie George were the leaders of the has-been team. I was sad to see this team go down as of recently as they've always been one of my favorite teams. Hopefully they can pick up some new talent in the draft.