Messenger concept

Question

Do not post here with just negative comments, at least tell me how i can improve it constructively and i will, if i can.

As soon as the exclusive concept art of the new MSN Wave-11 was posted on front page, I knew that i had to look, once i saw it, i was mixed between "EEW BLOAT!" and "OH MY GOD, WONDERFUL"

This is because, the actual MSN program seemed bloated, but they had a nice UI.

So, I decided to quickly put together a little mockup of MSN 8, but not with all the bloat, its like MSN7, with a new look.

Here it is:

Latest version (07-December-2004, 22:07 GMT)

MSN-Messenger-8-v3-r1-both.gif

Credits are on the image.

This took roughly an hour but that mostly involved me listening to music mindlessly,

Alot of the graphics, like the butterfly in top corner and background are actually vectored by me by hand.

note to a friend: paulsachang, rofl. pandas r us. thanks for the comments on it when i was making it, also varsity, thanks for the comments on it too:)

Edited by GHL

Wow that's way better than my attempt at skinning. The UIFiles are tough to understand, at least for me.

That's an awesome design though. I love it. :D

from now till thursday i have important coursework to do for my english GCSE :(

585053649[/snapback]

Your only 16 and are already that good?

:woot: I'm impressed

What someone needs to do is create a program that hooks to MSN and open its own skinable contact list etc, while your original MSN is running in the tray. I know one way of doing this which is placing a small program similar to a proxy between MSN and the server and filtering the information passed through, i used this method to be able to change peoples names in my local MSN it worked well.

The alternative would be to create a messenger client from scratch... and I have done this, its a long hard time consuming experience, especially with the updated protocols that come with the new messengers.

HOWEVER -

I think i could manage the first option.

Havnt been coding for a long time so I might have a fiddle to see if i can get back into it. I'll let u know what I come up with.

DayleRees? - Sounding Very Nerdy Today ©.

the contact window is looking lurvely, but the conversation window is the part of msn that i feel really needs changing. i love the way the wave 11 shots are flush the the rest of the screenshot.

That is really nice looking! I really wish there were a standard like email in the IM arena. I HATE using AOL IM to talk to a few friends....

I know, I know...Trillian....but don't you see my point?

Here's a quick version I made last night while messing around with the UIFiles and the PNG's found within the exe file. It took me a while since the UIFiles are hard to work with... :s

[Edit] I need to make it whiter. :p

post-8784-1102440518_thumb.jpg

Edited by devinlamothe

alot of those things are totally possible:

the butons at the bottom can be made up of the "start audio" "send video" actions, along with the activities

all you need to do is replace say the search and add contact buttons with and element filled iwth 3 buttons in a filllayout and give the element a gray background.

moving the status is no big problem, but adding the "personalised status" might be impossible

and adding a list of recently used programs is definatly out without a program hook,

however you could still modify the existing buttons to look like that.. which would be a nice look. (but you'd have to watch out for when buttons get resized to cope with window size (something I experienced)

I like your butterfly, thats pretty easy fixed to (just a quick image swap)

a problem you'll encounter is going to be the buddylist, for some reason the border only goes down 3 sides when showing your contact list, this is because tabs are meant to be present.

Edited by EnIgMa-PenGuIn

DayleRees, cool :) you got msn messenger? i would like to talk about this or something,

I can do many styles, infact this isnt really that good, i was just going by the microsoft ideas to make it fit wave 11.

devinlamothe, that looks nice, gj, but please do not hijack my thread.

jonathan88,

hehe thanks :)

but yeah as paul said i am even younger than that, i am 15 :p

chorpeac, yeah i agree

EnIgMa-PenGuIn, cool thanks for that info, i will take that into consideration for the next version (i am going for realistic concepts, which is why that banner is in there etc)

devinlamothe, that looks nice, gj, but please do not hijack my thread.

:blink: I wasn't, I was just showing you what I've done so far. Your design is better than mine and I wish it was actually real... I tried hard to re-create it, but alas, I'm not good with UIFiles. Sorry for the confusion.

I hope this design becomes a reality. :)

i like it but it needs the little arrow wmp10 has so you can still access the menu options (arrow is near the min button) or maybe the butterfly at the far left would have those options if you click on it :D