Would you like to see a rating system on Neowin?

Would you like to see a rating system on Neowin?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a rating system on Neowin?

• Yes! I think it would be a great idea!
    • Nope. Bad idea.
    • Maybe depending if the member(s) flame(s) @ me.
    • Other.

I don't know if this has been suggested yet but I think Neowin should have a user rating system rating other peoples posts. I know there is a rating thread script already but this one is about users post. Would be cool if we can rate users depending If they help out, etc..and you would need to have let's say like 100+ posts in order to rate a user.

Good idea or not?

This has been discussed numerous times and has been determined that, in the end, people will be completely biased and abuse the system for things like the person being rated doesn't agree with the rater.

While I enjoy the post rating system used on RedVsBlue.com (+1 Zing!), I don't think it would be very useful here at Neowin. You'd more than likely have people getting mad when their post is rated negatively (-1 Lame), then start a brand new topic about how they don't think they should have been rated that way and yadda yadda....yeah. :)

But that's IMHO.

Well, Yea. I got to agree with both of you. Alot of people would probaly get flamed and then get their reputation down and then start a war or something. I want to see what other users have to say about this! :)

Not a good idea mainly because of the reasons already stated, such as how most people would vote based on biast opinions and would just end up wasting bandwidth and time and effort of putting it in.

my 2 cents.

it'd be cool to have ratings and to vote for members, but ratings will not matter to me in anyway, sure we have popular members on this board, that doesn't mean everyone likes that member, we all have our "clicks" so a member rating system won't really affect me in any way. yes i'll vote accordingly, if someone has helped me they'll get a good vote, other than that i have a mental list of members who i dislike.

i think that made sense.. so yea, i'd like to see it.

How about like what some other boards have: Moderators of the forum/admins/supervisors/smods ("/" means and/or) rate each helpful post positive number from 1-5 and each post that isn't serious about the topic negative 1-5.

It's a fantastic idea. Everyone that voted no is worried that they will just get negative votes, but implemented the right way and it won't happen.

Some points for a successful implementation that won't be abused:

• Only allow positive votes, you can not make votes for a bad post, only good ones
  • Not have votes to last indefinately (so that someone would gain some votes then just let their quality slide off the scales), what I mean for example is, have 5 points for a positive vote, and every 7 days, everyone loses a vote.
  • Users have a quota of votes to give, this way friends can't constantly vote for each other and keep the rating rising. Maybe only allow 3 votes per 24 hours.
  • You must have a reply in the same thread that your rating a post in, either before or after the post you voting, so that you can't blindly vote for people and have the presence that you voted slide under the radar, this would also reduce voting for friends.
  • Voting for a post that has already been voted for as quality won't get as many votes as if one person voted for it, so that votes won't get too high if someone makes an uberpost that gets pinned or such.

Getting someone skillful enough to write such a hack would be the hardest thing.

The forums shouldn't be a competition to see who can get the highest rating, or the highest post count.

Their about people helping others out and sometimes entertaining each other. I don't see how implementing a raitng system would contribute to these things.

While I enjoy the post rating system used on RedVsBlue.com (+1 Zing!), I don't think it would be very useful here at Neowin. You'd more than likely have people getting mad when their post is rated negatively (-1 Lame), then start a brand new topic about how they don't think they should have been rated that way and yadda yadda....yeah. :)

But that's IMHO.

585069695[/snapback]

Yeah I share that exact same opinion ;) Congrats on becoming a mod BTW