[Definitive] Sony PSP Thread

of ocurse 512 is small. for vids, music AND game saves. but hey, isnt image converter still beta. so its bound to have upgrades

NFG Games got their hands on a PlayStation Portable and encountered some of the problems we?ve seen reported previously. They say that the unit is impossible to keep clean, that the directional pad is hard to slide your thumb across, and that the drive door needs a stronger latch (something others have specifically complained about as well). They also say the UMD is a major problem, with no cover to protect the disc (but doesn?t it use a caddy?). You gotta give Sony the benefit of the doubt for the moment, but they better sort out any problems before they drop the PSP on that class-action-lawsuit-happy country known as the United States.

Source: Engadget

I don't really see how they can complain that a portion of the UMD is showing when you have PS2, Xbox and GC games with 100% of the rear showing :/ That one has always stumped me, as has the "the very fact you can't keep it clean is a major negative" :/

I don't really see how they can complain that a portion of the UMD is showing when you have PS2, Xbox and GC games with 100% of the rear showing :/ That one has always stumed me, as has the "the very fact you can't keep it clean is a major negative" :/

585118947[/snapback]

Well PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube games arn't ment for travel as the PSP games are. So there is more potential that they will get scratched.

im wondering why they dont integrate a cover mechanism like the md's. unless the mech does take up THAT much space which i doubt.

im wondering why they dont integrate a cover mechanism like the md's. unless the mech does take up THAT much space which i doubt.

585118987[/snapback]

Would have been smart but it's to late now. They already released PSP in Japan. They would have to add a motor and basically redesign the PSP insides. If they did do it, they would have to replace every released PSP with a newer one.

theres no motor in the mechanism. theres something that just slides the cover open as the md slides in, and a spring in the umd closes it as its released.

theres no motor in the mechanism. theres something that just slides the cover open as the md slides in, and a spring in the umd closes it as its released.

585119069[/snapback]

Yeah just as the mini disk worked. I cant see why they cant update the model with this in the states and EU. Not like its hard. They've been doing it for years with the mini disk.

More complaints...

psp_buttonfux.jpg

Some early adopters of Sony's PSP are claiming serious build-quality issues with the portable game player, including buttons that can't be fully depressed due to their position over the LCD screen, and discs that will eject themselves when the player itself is twisted. NFG Games has a surprisingly enjoyable write-up about some of the problems with the buttons, including this image of where the right-most D-pad button and the left-most, 'square' control button actually sit on top of the edges of the LCD panel inside, causing the buttons to actually hit (and sometimes scrape past) the edge of the panel?not a huge problem for the square button, they say, but a killer when trying to use the directional pad.

And while I speak a little of the international language of Humorous ASCII Art, a video found on a Japanese website best illustrates the issue of the ejecting PSP media, where just a slight twist to the case?something that can easily happen during a mildly rigorous (or sexy) game session?causes the UMD discs to pop up and out of the machine itself. To add injury to insult, the UMD are designed in such a way as to leave a stamp-sized portion of their spinning disc exposed to scratches?something almost guaranteed to happen if a rotating disc goes flying through the air.

No word from Sony yet, but just keep all this in mind before you drop $600 on an imported PSP. You might be acting as Sony's Revision 1 Product Test Team.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entert...lems-027933.php

interesting to note, most retailers in Japan have signs up that say they do not kow when they will get their next shipment of PSPs in....but most likely it won't be until after New Years :o and oddly enough, there are no third party cases yet as teh Sony one is a bit too soft...I'd liek a hard case so it woudl travel better...

Concernign how dirty the unit gets, it does indeed get fingerprint marks on it VERY easily, maening that its new shine is gone forever once you start playing :pinch:

As for MGA, I'd say the in play graphics are a cross between the PS1 and PS2 graphics, but the cutscenes, since they did not go for realisim, and instead more of an anime look - think Ghost in the Shell - they do look quite good.

Dazzla, is it worth the 10 bucks to get the converter? I was thinking of picking it up today...

also if you want to use that other tool, the Japanese one, just install asian languages on t your system and set your non-unicode properties to Japanese...that will clear up those ??? marks on the menus and buttons...

More complaints...

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/psp_buttonfux.jpg

Some early adopters of Sony's PSP are claiming serious build-quality issues with the portable game player, including buttons that can't be fully depressed due to their position over the LCD screen, and discs that will eject themselves when the player itself is twisted. NFG Games has a surprisingly enjoyable write-up about some of the problems with the buttons, including this image of where the right-most D-pad button and the left-most, 'square' control button actually sit on top of the edges of the LCD panel inside, causing the buttons to actually hit (and sometimes scrape past) the edge of the panel?not a huge problem for the square button, they say, but a killer when trying to use the directional pad.

And while I speak a little of the international language of Humorous ASCII Art, a video found on a Japanese website best illustrates the issue of the ejecting PSP media, where just a slight twist to the case?something that can easily happen during a mildly rigorous (or sexy) game session?causes the UMD discs to pop up and out of the machine itself. To add injury to insult, the UMD are designed in such a way as to leave a stamp-sized portion of their spinning disc exposed to scratches?something almost guaranteed to happen if a rotating disc goes flying through the air.

No word from Sony yet, but just keep all this in mind before you drop $600 on an imported PSP. You might be acting as Sony's Revision 1 Product Test Team.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entert...lems-027933.php

585119237[/snapback]

Good thing Japan can test and fix these problems before it gets shipped out to North America. Besides, even the Nintendo DS had problems with dead pixels.

Anyways, I STILL want a PSP!

I want one...but only after price lowers, games i want to play, and stupid Defects are gone that should have not been there in the produced item....its like they never used product testing....

let alone i still don't like the idea of a slide out/ect door thing on the back for the UMD, i perfer the Slide and click type thing the GB/DS have...that was bad planning somewhat*granted the point was to make the unit just a slab, and not irregular shaped* but from the looks of it, they should have gone with a door type thing like a CD player has(you know pop open, put disk in, close with the chance it may open but the disk will be still on the slot/thingy....instead of unlatch, slide in, click, then press down and hope the thing stays closed instead of poping open and shooting it out), or the way the DS has, just have the slot with protective opening that is pushed out of the way by the UMD and slide it down and its locked in place, but of course that raizes other physical things (like it would have to move the spinning mechinism it's self into the hole to spin disk/lazer)

and the un protected spot, the reason its like that is so the lazer can read the disk people!, the protective screen around it may be too refractive light wize or reflective....their holder things should have though had the lift stop at the top to encourage people to only lift from there..

I sooo want one, but I think i'm going to hold out till summer because of the defects and all, and I'd like to see tha price drop to about 200 euro's for the value pack, according to the post dazzla made about amazon it's going to be more then that, which dissapoints me a bit :\

You see the problem with the whole Nintendo DS v. PSP thing is, when you get down to the base of it all, the DS is a shotty idea. The PSP is what Nintendo should have done years ago, and that's reinvent the handheld market. However they didn't, they just remade the same device for years. Holding the market, and squashing everything else with a new version of there coveted "Game Boy" but now, Nintendo saw a true fight and it decided to come up with this two screened idea. I personally, now that I have used the Touch Screen, absolutely hate it. I'm in no way a PS fanboy either, I hate Sony, but I think it's obvious that, they win.

Unless you count all the issues and low battery life. Anyways I think a PocketPC with Wi-FI and some fun games is more fun than any of these.

585122943[/snapback]

nnnn nope. I have a pocket pc and they are hell to game on. Battery life with PSP isn't a bonus, but an extra battery and your all set.

I can confirm that gaming on a PocketPC isn't really all that wonderful... some old SNES roms work nicely, but there's nothing really action like that keeps your attention for more the 3 hours