The new ugly: Racism in sport

Dec. 13, 2004. 08:15 AM

Racists taunt hockey star

Russian incident `no big deal'

Anson Carter is latest abuse target

GLEN COLBOURN

SPORTS REPORTER

Fan racism against black soccer players in Europe spilled into the rink yesterday, as spectators in St. Petersburg, Russia, twice tossed bananas or banana peels on to the ice at Anson Carter.

Carter, a Scarborough (Toronto) native playing with a touring team of locked-out National Hockey League stars, wasn't bothered.

"It's no big deal," Carter, 30, told reporters in Russia. "I'm not surprised ? look around."

The banana-tossing occurred on a day when the English-language St. Petersburg Times had a front-page story about attacks on ethnic minorities in the city.

And it comes as soccer authorities around Europe struggle to deal with a spate of racist outbursts directed at black players.

But it's an old story for Carter.

He was a slender 12-year-old when he first faced racism at the rink. Playing for the Toronto Red Wings in a Christmas tournament in Guelph, an opponent with Detroit Little Caesars began taunting him.

"He kept shouting and calling names from the bench, using the N-word. When he was on the ice beside him he was calling him the N-word," Carter's mother Valma recalled yesterday.

"And Anson said to him: `Okay, you can say what you want, but let's prove it on the ice.'

"And Anson's team won.

"From there on, we've been telling him you're going to encounter these things, but you have to be strong."

Carter, now a player with the Los Angeles Kings, won yesterday's game, too, helping the Worldstars beat a Russian all-star team 5-4 in an exhibition match played with little intensity that would explain the fan outburst.

But it follows a series of troubling incidents at soccer games:

In Madrid, Spanish fans bellowed out monkey noises last month each time three black English players touched the ball in a match between England and Spain.

A month earlier, Spanish national coach Luis Aragones was caught by a TV crew using racist language about France's star striker Thierry Henry. On Friday, Spain's anti-violence commission asked the country's soccer federation to open urgent disciplinary proceedings against Aragones, who has so far not been formally censured.

Real Madrid, Europe's most successful soccer team, and Belgian club Brugge were fined by European soccer officials, while Lazio of Italy was ordered to play its next European home match in an empty arena following racism by fans at European games.

In England, three men appeared in court last Thursday accused of racially taunting forward Dwight Yorke during a Blackburn-Birmingham game.

"The racism in football is all about national identity," Stefan Szymanski, economics professor at Tanaka Business School in London, said in a recent interview.

"It's a way of cementing your identity and singling out people who are not like you."

For Valma and Horace Carter, who emigrated from their native Barbados more than 30 years ago, they've long taught their eldest son how to deal with being singled out.

"That's a part of life," Valma said.

"Anson is well-prepared for all of this. We sat down and we talk with him and we constantly tell him: `People's attitudes have not changed and there are still some people out there who are still thinking (like in) years gone by.'"

Carter, one of just 13 blacks among the 600-plus players in the NHL in 2003, also encountered racism while playing college hockey at Michigan State University. There were slurs shouted on the ice. One student sent him an e-mail that said, "Go back to your project."

Carter, raised in Scarborough, didn't know what a project was.

"It (racist taunts) hasn't happened enough for me to really think it's a problem, though," Carter said in a 1995 interview while still at Michigan State. "The times it's happened, guys have said some things to try to get me off my game, but all it does is help create an inner toughness that allows you to thrive in any situation.

"I've come to realize that you can't let it affect you."

That attitude makes mom proud.

"Quite right. I agree. He's not injured (by the banana-throwing). It's no big deal. People will be people and all these things are expected. ... I'm sure this is an eye-opener for him and it will make him even stronger."

sorry to break to you..but racism is still alive and kicking..its just like 20,30,40 yrs ago..ppl just learned to hide it better.

they just fake it well. ppl are still racist..but they just wont say it out loud...or in these cases..they still do.

sad world we live in...sad world.

I despise racism, I really do. I was under the impression that it was reasonably under control, but even at football games (soccer for our American readers) i've heard fans from one team shout racist comments at players from the opposition, even though their OWN teams have black players. I mean for christs sake, its not like if you insult a black man you are only doing it to him specifically - you are insulting all black people :|

I hate it, and it shocks me that it doesnt seem to be fading away with the older generation who just don't know any better.. we should, as a race be above this kind of crap.

As a minority born and raised in the US. I say that racists are cowards, I mean when have you seen the KKK hold a demonstration, in the middle of compton or watts, or oakland. for that fact ANY ghetto? they hate minorities so much, but yet there scared too scared to demsontrate in these areas. And when they do they committ cowardly crimes, I have never faced racism till i moved here to Seattle, and knocked two guys out already, because they wanted to be bold and say something to my face. any one who doesnt like hispanics, black, asians, etc....

Are cowards, im not saying all white people are racists, theres alot of minorities that are just as guilty, My dad for example is always talking about back people and for that reason i have distanced myself from him and all others who have a caveman mentality.

Racists suck period.

and i don't even practice or even look jewish...

585093700[/snapback]

hehehe..man..jewish or not..i dont think they have a "look"..unless you have a huge nose! lol

but c'mon..you cant be serious...racism againts a jewish person..Vs. racism againts blacks, hispanics and middle eastern? ohh cry me a river...

hehehe..man..jewish or not..i dont think they have a "look"..unless you have a huge nose! lol

but c'mon..you cant be serious...racism againts a jewish person..Vs. racism againts blacks, hispanics and middle eastern?  ohh cry me a river...

585093737[/snapback]

There's a good and bad racism? Some racism is better than others? I think it's all bad.

Racism is totally uncalled for, there is no excuse for it. I'm glad he doesn't let it get to him. Some people just never learn, I really hope future generations are more tolerate than current ones.

There's a good and bad racism? Some racism is better than others? I think it's all bad.

585093747[/snapback]

nononono..i never said theres good or bad racism....racism is stupid and sick.

dont get me wrong...wat i meant was...outside those days in germany..and palestine..no1 else really has anything bad to say againts jewish ppl. like for example..when was the last time you heard a fan make a comment about a jewish player? that never happens...all im saying is..it is not as bold in the community. if you act cheap..some1 will consider you jewish...but if you are from a mid easters country..you will be called a terrorist...your passport will be checked..at least 4 times..and ur finger prints will be taken...or if your black...and a shooting happend around the corner..you will be questioned...or if you havea nice and expensive car..you will be pulled over..cuz black ppl driving expensive cars..has stolen written all over it...

u get my point?

dont get me wrong...wat i meant was...outside those days in germany..and palestine..no1 else really has anything bad to say againts jewish ppl. like for example..when was the last time you heard a fan make a comment about a jewish player? that never happens...all im saying is..it is not as bold in the community. if you act cheap..some1 will consider you jewish...but if you are from a mid easters country..you will be called a terrorist...your passport will be checked..at least 4 times..and ur finger prints will be taken...or if your black...and a shooting happend around the corner..you will be questioned...or if you havea  nice and expensive car..you will be pulled over..cuz black ppl driving expensive cars..has stolen written all over it...

u get my point?

585093775[/snapback]

yea tahts called" Stereotyping" and its still dumb and lame

dont get me wrong...wat i meant was...outside those days in germany..and palestine..no1 else really has anything bad to say againts jewish ppl. like for example..when was the last time you heard a fan make a comment about a jewish player? that never happens...all im saying is..it is not as bold in the community. if you act cheap..some1 will consider you jewish...but if you are from a mid easters country..you will be called a terrorist...your passport will be checked..at least 4 times..and ur finger prints will be taken...or if your black...and a shooting happend around the corner..you will be questioned...or if you havea  nice and expensive car..you will be pulled over..cuz black ppl driving expensive cars..has stolen written all over it...

u get my point?

585093775[/snapback]

Anti-semitism is alive and well. Every once in a while you'll find swasticas spray painted on jewish cemetaries.

I think Mattieu Shneider has run into some incidents with the NHL (to keep things on topic).

I'm surprised there hasn't been more reports of racism in nhl or any other sport. When someone is racism, then they are either scared or can't handle changes very well. I don't care what the color of someone's skin is. Its just sad that racism won't go away.

I don't know about other places but here in this town it seems like girls are mostly racists than boys. No idea why though .. I don't understand these people anyway.

Racial insults are the same as other insults levelled at other stereotypes/minorities - against geeks, against fat people, against gays, people that dress differently, people that go to posh schools, etc. I find it sad that people will yell abuse at others because they are different in any respect.

It is not just that these people have a problem with race, these people have problems full stop.

Racism goes back to the mid 1800's, so it's nothing shocking. However, the sports associations have to deal with these occurences accordingly. Hell, Real Madrid was given a big fine for the racist remarks of their fans towards players of England.

You have to start somewhere.

As a minority born and raised in the US. I say that racists are cowards, I mean when have you seen the KKK hold a demonstration, in the middle of compton or watts, or oakland. for that fact ANY ghetto? they hate minorities so much, but yet there scared too scared to demsontrate in these areas. And when they do they committ cowardly crimes,  I have never faced racism till i moved here to Seattle, and knocked two guys out already, because they wanted to be bold and say something to my face. any one who doesnt like hispanics, black, asians, etc....

Are cowards, im not saying all white people are racists, theres alot of minorities that are just as guilty, My dad for example is always talking about back people and for that reason i have distanced myself from him and all others who have a caveman mentality.

Racists suck period.

585093692[/snapback]

I do believe the KKK held a demonstration in downtown Memphis.

As for the girls being more racist, EVERY girl i know has been stared at and followed by the hispanic or african-american race and upon multiple instances. If you are being put in an unpleasant situation by a certain race more than one time, you will usually remember the bad before the good and have that conotation. I'm not approving of throwing bananas because that is just plain wrong, but because a person has multiple uncomfortable situations with one race then being a bit racist is understandable IMO. Inside there is probably at least a little bit in everyone, or maybe this is just all formed from me living in the south, but if you see one race continually carrying themselves in a certain manner, they will start to append that perception to all of them.

The clan of today does not go out on night rides to go lynching, they are not that brave. They hold rallies in places where white people congrigate, places where not a lot happens and people can be influenced. If some 18-25 year old white male thinks his life sucks and is confused, he is a prime target for these jerk-offs. The one who can hear something about how minorities are taking jobs away from the 'hard working white man'. It gets stuck in his head and he begins to think like that. For anyone who has seen 'Higer Learning', that is a prime example. Racism is a plague and it will never be cured, harmony amongst people will never exsist, religion assures us that, just too many people stuck to their beliefs. Which is weird, because most black and hispanic people believe in Jesus Christ like a lot of white people do, isn't that ironic.

I do not think anyone should be treated differently because of their skin color, you shouldn't lose a job or be scaulfed at. With that said though, I am tired of everyone saying America keeps the 'black man down'. Stop using excuses. I know it isn't fair that you might have to be a little smarter or have a little more education or qualifications, come on. Minorities use this excuse constantly and it ****es me off. No one is holding you back from what ever you want to be, you just have to work a little harder. Which is a bad draw, but the other side is to sit their and feel sorry for yourself and let the cliche of how things are supposed to be keep you down.

PS: The clan can hold a rally in any city they want with the proper paperwork submission, it is their civil right. They have held rallies in many places of hostility, maybe not Compton, but that is just ignorant and the typical thing to say.