The new ugly: Racism in sport

I feel very strongly about this topic, and I could point out a _lot_ of real life tragedies that I've seen.. but I won't.

---

If you aren't familar with racism, or people of a racist nature, then you'll probably never will be. It'll all be second nature to you.

It's a mindset that evolves from (among others) the family.

Case in point:

Your dad was laid off because an immigrant performed the job much more efficiently, and was willing to accept minimal wages. Your Dad takes his bitterness to the dinner table, and the entire family is exposed to the pearls of wisdom that he has to bestow upon them.

Instead of bettering his life, he decides to become an alcoholic. He would play psychological games with his children, telling them that the reason they're not getting a Christmas this year was because a <insert racial slur> ruined their lives. He takes a sip of his already stale beer, and proceeds to beat the living hell out of them.

They go to school to only realise that most of their fellow classmates descended from a <minority> family. Memories of their god-forsaken father and his whipping belt play over repeatedly in their minds, and they begin to develop an instinctual fear of a differing culture. They begin to isolate themselves from their peers, and retreat to the safe haven (while ultimately abusive) that is their family.

Once they're of age, they begin to develop a false sense of security. They're more ambitious, and they're willing to show who's (apparently) in charge...

---

Either that, or they're just uncultured hicks. They think that the rest of the world starts and stops at their own convenience. They believe that their continent of residence is the sole landmass on the planet Earth, and they act accordingly.

I'm not targeting just rednecks of America. As detailed by the article, much of this nonsense occurs at a global-scale. Xenophobia was accentuated by early century propaganda, and was perpetuated by modern day media.

---

My gf is of a different descent. My parents, and siblings were extremely uncomfortable when meeting her (despite my public 4 yr relationship with her,) and are always condescending towards her. According to them, her misgivings are a direct result of the inferior stock that is her heritage.

---

Infer what you will from this piece. Rationalize what you will of your own existence.

There aint much that winds me up, but racism really does :(

When i was watching the Spain vs England football (soccer) match a few weeks ago, i felt so sorry for players like sean wright philips and ashley cole, it's just sad, pathetic, disgusting, and abou as low as you can get.

sure- racism still exists, racism towards blacks, whites, puerto ricans, everyone's got someone who hates them.

hell, the recent- it's popular to hate americans.

we need to stop giving hate such attention, whether through the media or through groups of friends laughing about how stupid americans are while downing a few brews at the local pub.

same thing goes for those americans laughing over how stupid the french are while playing poker.

hate is the problem.

stop it at it's source.

we hang /w our buds and make it popular to hate something- hell, it mite even give some of us a buzz.

end it now.

- sure, u have the rite to hold a responsible grudge towards someone who u feel wronged u, just don't hate those similar to the 'assailant'

[/emote]

There aint much that winds me up, but racism really doe:(:(

585101498[/snapback]

I have to agree, nothing gets me more pi$$edoff than racism or stupidity.

Which when you think of it are the same thing.

a problem i'm noticing tho- these aren't serious cases of racism.

sure- reprimand them, but i doubt they go home n' sport kkk or black panther parefenelia.

these are just punks looking for a high. :sleep:

Edited by Dark_INk

I being a minority find it sad, But i often brush it off and don't think too much of it. I don't get called names or anything but when someone does and they mean it. They can expect trouble from me.

With that being said, I would like to hear the other side of this. Can a racist person speak up and tell me whats wrong with other races and people? And why you feel that you are so much better than other people? Tell us in a way that people wont start flamming the thread.

I seriously would like to hear from a racist on neowin. Cause i know there is at the very least one. But chances are that the racist don't have the balls to speak up and speak their mind.

very sad. :angry:

can someone explain me what is a hispanic person?

people from spain...?, american indians...?, mix people (black- white, black- indian, white - indian, w/b/i - asians...)?, white people from central - south america...? ...?

Dec. 15, 2004. 09:51 AM

Soccer coach faces racism hearing

MADRID (AP) ? Spain's soccer federation has initiated disciplinary proceedings against national team coach Luis Aragones for making racist remarks.

A lawyer will be appointed Tuesday to take charge of the case. The process is likely to take several months, with Aragones expected to be called as a witness.

If Aragones is found guilty, he could lose his job or be fined 30,000 euros ($49,435 Cdn), sports daily As reported Wednesday.

Spanish federation president Angel Maria Villar had initially declined to take action against Aragones. But he agreed last Friday to a request by Spain's Anti-Violence Commission to open a disciplinary case.

"I expected the news because the president had already told me," Aragones told As. "Anyway, in a case like this you always have the right to defend yourself."

Aragones has been under fire since making a racist comment about Arsenal's French striker Thierry Henry during a training session of the national team in October.

The veteran coach has claimed the remarks were taken out of context and that he had meant no offence to Henry, who is black.

Aragones created a further storm before Spain's Nov. 17 friendly against England in Madrid, when he responded to questions about the incident by making an angry outburst about Britain's colonial past.

The coach's remarks are believed to have fuelled the racist chanting toward England's black players during the game as well as at an under-21 match the previous day. FIFA is investigating.

Since the England match, there has been a spate of racist taunting at Spanish matches.

Last Friday, European governing body UEFA fined Real Madrid 9,780 euros ($16,115 Cdn) for racist behaviour by its supporters at the Champions League game against Bayer Leverkusen on Nov. 23.

On Tuesday, the Spanish federation fined first-division Albacete 600 euros ($990 Cdn) after some of its fans taunted FC Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o last weekend.

Nothing new... racism will always be there thanks to ignorant idiots.

585102674[/snapback]

wanna know what an ignorant idiot is...

unfortunately in a 'midget' level hockey game, i was labeled a racist by the other team because i layed a huge center ice hit on a player who happened to be black... not for any racial reasons, just because he was skating through center with his head down.

wanna know what an ignorant idiot is...

unfortunately in a 'midget' level hockey game, i was labeled a racist by the other team because i layed a huge center ice hit on a player who happened to be black... not for any racial reasons, just because he was skating through center with his head down.

585112354[/snapback]

Yeah, there's always people like that who like to play the race card :laugh: