Mother of Invention

Interesting read ...

(CNN) -- CNN put 10 of the most interesting ideas from Explorers users to Trevor Baylis, one of Britain's leading inventors and the founder of Trevor Baylis Brands, which helps inventors bring their products to market. Here's what he thought.

voice-activated talking stove for the visually impaired

Space-access elevator

Electric Shoes to recaharge your mobile/cell phones

system for cars, vehicles could "read" RFID tags embedded in street signs

Power On safety light for ovens

Dust collector for motherboards/cases

full story:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/12/02/baylis....ents/index.html

Space-access elevator:

What's that?! :huh:

585094835[/snapback]

Going up?

Fabrizio Guiraud Hubie from Curitiba, Brazil, believed the fastest and safest way of exiting the atmosphere was to build an enormous elevator, capable of carrying 600 square feet of equipment. It would act as a space dock, complete with hotels and working areas, and would save millions on fuel costs, he said.

Baylis: This idea is somewhat "out in space!" Commendable and imaginative, but, alas, unlikely

:laugh:

Space elevator :o

585094807[/snapback]

yeah thats old, seeing in in scientific american a long time ago. they are actually building one in future i think. the technology is knew but not impropable.

Yeah...that dust collector sounds promising...There are already small air cleaning units that have a metal collector and everything sticks to it. Mine even picks up flies. The only problem is a small electric smell in the air, but I've gotten use to it.

I thought the walking battery charger shoes would grab most people. :laugh:

I don't see how a Space lift would be practical -- it would still require lots of Energy to counter Earth gravity/air resistence the first 100-200 miles going up. :unsure:

Space-access elevator

585094789[/snapback]

Rediculous. The costs of building one would be exponentially higher than paying for 1000 shuttle launches. Physics would prevent it from being constructed that high.