Maxtor

Heres my story:

2 months ago, i bought a 80GB Maxtor hard drive... and it fried. i dont know how, but it did. maxtors guarentee is: "if it breaks, we will replace it with the same hard drive, or a better one" and so, they replaced it with a 120GB hard drive. about a month later, i was working at a community auction, and someone STOLE my hard drive. yes, thats right... they STOLE IT! who steals a hard drive? I talked to Maxtor, and they said sure, we gotcha covered, we'll replace it. a week later, i recieved my brand new 160GB hard drive! they're products dont match to say... Seagate in my mind, but thier customer service is the best!

img08314dk.th.jpg

Product: 9/10

Company 11/10 :woot: :happy:

Bottom line: Great company, great product... this is where my next hard drive is coming from!

I think it shows the progress being made, more than the competition. You were probably given a bottom of the line drive each time. The bottom of the line just happens to get bigger as the top of the line does.

i just bought an 80 gig maxtor today :D

I love maxtor because, they arent the best, but they are usually the cheapest and from what I hear they are better than what Western Digital is releasing these days.

Maybe mine will fry too :laugh:

I think it shows the progress being made, more than the competition. You were probably given a bottom of the line drive each time. The bottom of the line just happens to get bigger as the top of the line does.

585174546[/snapback]

your wrong, i checked, my 160GB now IS top othe the line, well, cept the fact that its not sata, but its top of the line ide, 7200, 8mb cache and 8.9ms

my 160gb maxtor i got like 2 years ago for like 80bucks cuz im the man, is loud and annoying but otherwise been working fine compared to my WDs which are all super silent

so far to date one 80gb WD broke on me, it was my main drive for lets see about a year and a half of push abuse and gameplay hehe

then i lent a WD 160gb drive to friend and he said it started making noise so i got it RMAs from WD and they gave me a 160 replacement

I think its fair to say that in terms of customer service and warranty Maxtor is the way to go.

as for quality harddisks I say WD are no.1 too bad there service isnt as good as Maxtor's.

They cover for theft as well? Thats funny... Seems more like an insurance company than a nice Warranty cover :p But its a very nice warranty cover! Glad I got a Maxtor, too bad I live in the twilight zone :p

• 3 weeks later...

They sound like they'd be easy to take advantage of... not that I'd ever do that...

And I'm also surprised they'd do that trick where they try to keep your loyalty by giving you better stuff even after it got stolen. I think they could have kept your loyalty either way just by replacing it after it got stolen. Anyway, still awesome.

Wow that's awesome man. I have two Maxtor drives and they have yet to fail me..they actually are reliable. Hopefully if something happens I'll get the same quality service...maybe get my 80 GB replaced with a 120...:shifty:

i have had problems with maxtor drives,an older 1.96GB drive just kept getting bad sectors on me(that was like 8 years ago)i had a friend put in another one(not maxtor)and it worked,maybe they have improved since then..i have a samsung and no problems

It's been about a year since the last time I touched anything with Maxtor written on it. Ive had a few bad experiences.

I wish that they treated me the same way that they treated you.

Hello Maxtor? Someone took my 15 gig, oops, I mean my 300 gig drive. Can you send me two please, in case one gets ripped again! :)

That is cool of Maxtor. I have had both WD and Max die on me and both have replaced them no questions.

hmmm, i think i'll get a maxtor next time

585318491[/snapback]

I'll point out that all 5 Maxtor drives that I have ever bought (either for myself, or clients) has developed at least some kind of problem within 2 months of purchase (most within 2 weeks).

When the last one I bought died (within a few weeks of purchase) my wholesaler also admitted that Maxtor drives are junk and swapped it to a Western Digital for me.

I've never used a Maxtor hard disk before, but it sounds as if they really care about their customers. Those sorts of companies are far and few between now.

Perhaps Maxtor's takeover of Quantum will improve their disks? A 6 GB Quantum disk is still running quite well in my seven-year-old Pentium 2.