WinXP 64 Questions

I just got my Athlon64 system running and clean installed WinXP Pro, but then I remembered that there was a 64 bit edition of XP, and I'm currently downloading the Pre-Release from MS now. My questions are, can it be used in an every day environment? How is the driver support for x64? Will 32 bit applications still run on it? This will be a new adventure for me, so any help and tips are appreciated. Thanks! :)

They didn't can 64bit XP, they canned the development for 64bit for the Intel Itanium processor. At least, that's what I gather from the articles I've read. But x64 is still going strong.

didn't ms decide to can the 64bit xp?

585195829[/snapback]

They canned support for the Itanium codepath. Not the AMD64 (athlon 64 or opteron).

Edit: ^ beat me to it, sorry...

I know it's not officially out, but there is a pre-release program to test 64bit XP on the MS website. So, I'm going to try it. I'm just curious about other's experiences with it and what I can expect.

Indeed.

I'm wondering how some more exotic hardware is going to work in an enviroment like that.

What happens to, for example, I have the Chaintech znf-150 nforce3-150 motherboard. It came with a CBOX3. (Basically a media card reader with a display that shows the CPU temp and brings firewire/usb/audio to the front). I seriously doubt that chaintech will make 64bit drivers for a motherboard that isn't the latest hottest thing.

Not only that, but I run a AMD64 computer as the main workhorse for tracking at my studio. It has some unique hardware that may never get new drivers. (Even the drivers that I have now suck [MOTU :(]).

Meh, no real point to my post other than to share my thoughts.

thats the point kill yourself. stuff like raidcontrollers, card readers etc or other "exotic hardware" may not work with xp64bit. many friend of mine had this problem and if i buy my 64bit cpu i'll stay away from the 64bit OS.

i dual boot xp pro and xp64. i am using a chaintech znf3-250. you are right the digidoc software for cbox3 doesnt work under xp64. there are a few devices that xp couldnt find drivers for, but since they are things i dont use much i havent really tried too hard to look. occasionally i come across some software that doesnt run but most of the stuff i tried work with no problems.

im using it myself. its good enough to use everyday and nvidia and ati support it fully. i think via does too but not sure. your bigest problem will be lack of drivers for printers and thus unable to print at all i can use it for internet fine. 99% of my programs work withought a problem and get installed correctly. im very satisfied with it :) only problem is my tv card isnt working. and when it finally comes out expect obscure hardware to probably not have a driver made for it. so if thats your case. but for the vast majority it will be great

btw im currently using the rc1 build :D Oh and before i forget this is an answer a lot are probably wondering : yes its usuable for everyday/main os if you can stand some of the driver issues.

Luckily I have a Dell printer... I have faith they will start developing 64bit drivers when they start shipping systems with Intel's 64bit chips and x64 windows.

Luckily I have a Dell printer... I have faith they will start developing 64bit drivers when they start shipping systems with Intel's 64bit chips and x64 windows.

585196178[/snapback]

thats cool but i was just refering to printer support atm is a big 0 :(

Driver support is great for magor brands

THe rest of your questions is yes includig 32 bit app support

32 bit apps run just as they would on xp pro if not better because of more page file

Yeah ive been wondering about this myself since ive been looking into getting a AMD 64 system.

What actual tangible benefits will you see from a 64bit OS??

Well, so far since I've installed XP 64, I've noticed that certain tasks are much quicker in opening. However, since I cannot find drivers for my Linksys NIC, I cannot access the internet. So, unless I find drivers, or another NIC that has 64 bit drivers, I'll be going back to XP Pro. But for the short time I've used it, I like it.

PS - Those of you that have a NIC with 64 bit support, what brand and make are you using? Thanks!

Edited by dicchicora

Well, so far since I've installed XP 64, I've noticed that certain tasks are much quicker in opening.  However, since I cannot find drivers for my Linksys NIC, I cannot access the internet.  So, unless I find drivers, or another NIC that has 64 bit drivers, I'll be going back to XP Pro.  But for the short time I've used it, I like it.

PS - Those of you that have a NIC with 64 bit support, what brand and make are you using?  Thanks!

585211540[/snapback]

Is that NIC built into the motherboard or a seperate card? My motherboard came with drivers for both the nForce 4 and Marvell onboard NIC's for 64bit. Seems all the onboard hardware for my Asus A8N-SLI deluxe has 64 bit drivers include on the CD. I thought most of the Athlon 64 boards came with a onboard LAN.

Here's my problem, I do have a Marvell Gigabit LAN onboard my ASUS board, however, it does not work. My guess is, it's DOA out of the box. I wasn't to concerned because I had a Linksys Fast Ethernet card laying around and just used that with XP Pro. Linksys does not have any x64 drivers though. I had two options, take the board back, or just find another cheap NIC with x64 support. I choose the cheap way first...lol. Hopefully, once XP x64 goes gold, driver support will be better than it is now.

Yeah, that would be nice. My Audigy 2 installed just fine with Creative's preview drivers, unfortunately nVidia does not have any 64bit SLI enabled drivers at the moment. =/ Maybe with the SLI boards out, they will at least release a beta version or something.