Longhorn Unknown Features

Firefox Mozilla better than IE6.0 and any future IE7.0 Crap

OS which is driving the system as games do...retarded...

Major security advances...makes me to laugh... The last thing I need i Microsoft Antivirus, and other crap. Even security center was too much. It's good for noobs...

WinFS hm hm

Lots of other crap for which much better alternative exist...

Longhorn = Windows XP with a new cosmetic surgery and some replaced internal organs which does the same but only looks different and added some annoying crap which 80% of the people will remove except Dell users and other noobs.

All I'm interested in is WGF 1.0 to install on my Windows XP and yepppyyy :)

Even Windows XP themes is too much. Mine looks like Windows 95.

Microsoft lost the sense and forgot the purpose of the OS as it was defined years ago.

I wonder what overclockers will say when they encounter the case where because of OS's fancy animations the temperature of  the video card is high, and all because of some retarded reason to show 3D windows on your desktop. The point is that as a user you will be nothing more efficient with 3D window than using  regular Win95 window, and then all comes to the question what's the point? Except maybe, 3D window is more eye appealing, but actually not really...And again Longhorn will have security holes just like Windows XP had. The funny side of it you gonna see IE security update, or critical Longohorn update what leads me to the conclusion that Microsoft focuses to build 'Hollywood Entertainment crap' with old diseases...

585200092[/snapback]

haha your post had me laughing you dont even know what wgf is. and if you thin a gu ran by graphics hardware is stupid tell it to sun, apple, and now microsoft. wait thats the majority i think you have been defeated. :laugh: also got to say if you think that the os will have any effect on overlclocking longhorn era hardware you are a noob

All I'm interested in is WGF 1.0 to install on my Windows XP and yepppyyy :)

all because of some retarded reason to show 3D windows on your desktop. The point is that as a user you will be nothing more efficient with 3D window than using  regular Win95 window, and then all comes to the question what's the point? Except maybe, 3D window is more eye appealing, but actually not really...

585200092[/snapback]

Why? WGF 1.0 is DirectX 9.0, WGF 2.0 is DirectX 10.0 (which will come with Longhorn). :p

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/5607/ati2fj.jpg

And the Longhorn desktop is not 3D. It will look something like this.

http://img147.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img147ℑ=lhl.jpg

Quoted from an MS Longhorn tech chat a LONG time ago when I asked how much will Longhorn change the UI we know as it is:

"Oh, we've got something totally new and innovating in store for you guys, you can say it looks at least 300% better than anything apple has, and 800% better than anything Linux desktops has to offer".

Wish I could find a transcript, maybe someone has it?

The point is, Microsoft should not give XP any Longhorn features. It's stupid on Microsoft's part! All I know is that when Longhorn comes out, Microsoft is going to have to really persuade me to buy Longhorn.

585199140[/snapback]

Hardly a stupid actually...you have to think of the millions of XP (and older, i.e. 2000, NT) users that will not immediately upgrade to longhorn. MS is simply extending the platform to include the massive number of XP users that exist. It's actually rather brilliant.

No it's not brilliant since they won't buy Longhorn right away. They might wait til the price drops down a little.

I really can't wait til beta 1 is out though. I wanna see if it is true that Longhorn will be 3 times better than Mac OS X.... for now I just don't believe it.

And Longhorn will probably be easier to use, faster than XP (with good hardware, I am sure it will be faster than XP with the same hardware, that's what I mean), more secure. And I hope that the applications exclusively on Longhorn will always use the same installer and uninstaller and stuff like that.

Longhorn will be pretty, decent hardware costs next to nothing now, and Dell will be responsible for most of the license sales. I still think they should name it Windows 6, and drop all the funky year and dual-letter homofunk.

I get tired of my mom telling me she's running Windows 97 and Office 98 at work.

Windows 97 ? Office 98 ? o_O

You are the SECOND person I know who mentions Windows 97 in a conversation.

Windows VI would be cool even though it is Apple's style since Mac OS X. That is a dual letter, but you could still say Windows 6 ;)

I know what WGF 1.0 is. And I know something you don't know...

WGF reached the final version and it's ready to roll on. You can expect it after r520 release. And the final version of Longhorn will come with WGF 2.0, and it will require unified shader unit (PS and VS) in a GPU.

I didn't say I use win95, but I said my windows XP looks like windows 95. Actually it looks more like windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is the best OS Microsoft ever released. It looks professional and works great. Windows XP is a way of a 'Hollywood'...

All we know that we are eventually going to be force to do upgrade to Longhorn.

But as far as I concern i'm gonna cut the Longhorn in half :D

Longhorn application are going to be .NET based, and that's the part which scares me. The good example of it is ATI CCC which is bad, really bad implementation of .NET or maybe is not. Maybe .NET is really bad thing. All I know is when you start CCC it takes 60+ of your ram. :blink:

I'm not gonna make a new OS :) Even though I'm a programmer.

I'm gonna switch to Linux...

I will finish this post with one quote.

"Longhorn represents the bright future of Linux"

WGF reached the final version and it's ready to roll on. You can expect it after r520 release. And the final version of Longhorn will come with WGF 2.0, and it will require unified shader unit (PS and VS) in a GPU.

I didn't say I use win95, but I said my windows XP looks like windows 95. Actually it looks more like windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is the best OS Microsoft ever released. It looks professional and works great. Windows XP is a way of a 'Hollywood'...

But as far as I concern i'm gonna cut the Longhorn in half  :D

Longhorn application are going to be .NET based, and that's the part which scares me. The good example of it is ATI CCC which is bad, really bad implementation of .NET or maybe is not. Maybe .NET is really bad thing. All I know is when you start CCC it takes 60+ of your ram.  :blink:

I'm not gonna make a new OS :) Even though I'm a programmer.

585205504[/snapback]

:rofl:

No my friend, there is no evil in the .NET framework. I'm sure any real programmer is excited with WinFX and the .NET Framework 2.0.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/episode.a...BA/manifest.xml

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/

Sit, learn, and than speak. Longhorn will rock, and Longhorn will revolutionize, if you were half a decent programmer and not just another snob judging longhorn off the slate theme and alpha builds geared towards developers who want to get a head start on developing programs in a live Longhorn environment, you'd have a clue.

Longhorn application are going to be .NET based, and that's the part which scares me. The good example of it is ATI CCC which is bad, really bad implementation of .NET or maybe is not. Maybe .NET is really bad thing. All I know is when you start CCC it takes 60+ of your ram.?:blink::

Okay, so the only bad thing about .NET applications is that it takes too much RAM ?

Everybody who use Longhorn and upcoming OSes should have at the VERY least 1024 MB of RAM.

The DAY Longhorn is out, I buy another computer, Longhorn and probably Office12.

But as far as I concern i'm gonna cut the Longhorn in half?:DD

Longhorn application are going to be .NET based, and that's the part which scares me. The good example of it is ATI CCC which is bad, really bad implementation of .NET or maybe is not. Maybe .NET is really bad thing. All I know is when you start CCC it takes 60+ of your ram.?:blink:k:

I'm not gonna make a new O:):) Even though I'm a programmer.

585205504[/snapback]

like its been said many times but it still shows your lack of knowledge .net is not bad you likely have seen memory usage by .net apps and are afraid of that. but as its been said before .net apss do not release thier memory but only release it when other apps need it. thats probably what your not understanding or liking. also you should know that the ati CCC is ati's first venture into .net and they are working on bring up preformance in the CCC.

Edited by divertom15

The point is, Microsoft should not give XP any Longhorn features. It's stupid on Microsoft's part! All I know is that when Longhorn comes out, Microsoft is going to have to really persuade me to buy Longhorn.

585199140[/snapback]

You're wrong at that, MS is doing quite a smart move, remember one thing Longhorn isn't just geared to average users, it gears towards many many different users, one obvious large community of users would be Developers, releasing the API's at such an early stage allows developers to be all geared and hyped up by the time Longhorn is actually available, then we would pretty much have applications which run off Avalon technologies and it will be ready for Longhorn.

like its been said many times but it still shows your lack of knowledge .net is not bad you likely have seen memory usage by .net apps and are afraid of that. but as its been said before .net apss do not release thier memory but only release it when other apps need it. thats probably what your not understanding or liking. also you should know that the ati CCC is ati's first venture into .net and they are working on bring up preformance in the CCC.

585208184[/snapback]

This is how .NET's memory allocation works. It sees that the system in fact has alot of free memory unused, so it pre-allocates this memory for the framework itself, this pre-allocated memory is called the Manage Heap, the reason why they pre-allocate it, is because it's more efficient to create Objects in that managed memory location, so thus taking that route would be much better, the ram they pre-allocate is just reserved, not used at all, as soon as any other unmanaged based apps require more memory or the actual system is running low on memory, the framework, automatically returns this memory back to the system. In Theory .NET apps at most times don't even exceed 3 -4 megs, this depends on what type of application it is, and what is does.

well, i can tell you, all this talk of "longhorn will revolutionize" and all that crap is just pure-BS. There's nothing thats gonna be so new that its going to shock. Apple is doing/already has done most of the stuff that you pro-longhorn people fantasize about. And I say fantasize b/c most of these "features" AREN'T even gonna be in LH. they've bee cut-off b/c MS cant pull it off even 2 years from now. you all should go to ww.apple.com/quicktime and watch the 2004 WWDC video stream again, it'll give you some more things to fantasize about...

You're wrong at that, MS is doing quite a smart move, remember one thing Longhorn isn't just geared to average users, it gears towards many many different users, one obvious large community of users would be Developers, releasing the API's at such an early stage allows developers to be all geared and hyped up by the time Longhorn is actually available, then we would pretty much have applications which run off Avalon technologies and it will be ready for Longhorn.

585208241[/snapback]

This is how .NET's memory allocation works. It sees that the system in fact has alot of free memory unused, so it pre-allocates this memory for the framework itself, this pre-allocated memory is called the Manage Heap, the reason why they pre-allocate it, is because it's more efficient to create Objects in that managed memory location, so thus taking that route would be much better, the ram they pre-allocate is just reserved, not used at all, as soon as any other unmanaged based apps require more memory or the actual system is running low on memory, the framework, automatically returns this memory back to the system. In Theory .NET apps at most times don't even exceed 3 -4 megs, this depends on what type of application it is, and what is does.

585208251[/snapback]

Both excellent posts. :yes: