Is Longhorn Easy To Install

Indeed very true I have a very close friend who works for M$ and he would be interested to here copies are being given out by staff working on Longhorn...

But, I'm a nice person so I wont tell him...  :whistle:

585203769[/snapback]

You have a very close friend at Microsoft, yet you spell MS "M$"?

And than again, the employees I'm sure won't care if the guy is giving out copies of 4074, it IS a publically released build anyways. The kids friends dad could have an MSDN subscription or have attended WinHEC, which morally still does not make it right to be lending it - but so what? You lying about having a "close friend" at "M$" illegitimately to sound important isn't "morally right" either, more like "idiotic".

--

To answer the original thread starters question: Installing Longhorn itself can either be a very painful experience if it decides to be picky with your hardware, or a very blant experience. If you have no hardware problems with Longhorn, you will just enter serial number, some user info, choose partition you want to install it to - and LH will do the rest. Once you've actually booted into Longhorn for the first time you MIGHT have difficulty with drivers and support for your hardware. Longhorn was never able to detect my USB DSL modem, and I had to jump over a few hurdles to get my video drivers properly installed. Overall you'll notice that spending ~40-70 minutes installing it wasn't worth it.

You'll notice a new theme which differs from Luna - some different window headers, sidebar, and most of the cool features which were supposed to be there will be broken or work faulty. You'll notice one heck of a memory leak and general slowness compared to XP (altho Longhorn was always able to open my large folders alot quicker than XP, now - enable thumbnail view and try to open a folder with 5000+ images, with WinFS working, and you'll have yourself a restart).

If you're a bit smarter at peaking around you'll find out about the MILExplorer and DWM stuff available in 4074 - which if you don't find, you can feel free to PM me about and I'll give you detailed instructions on how to make 4074 look a bit cooler. But still, overall you will only be installing a bit of a revamped and crappy XP when installing 4074 - it's made for developers who want to start developing applications using Avalon/XAML and see how it'd work real time in Longhorn, not for end users to test, so it won't have much that'll appeal to you. If you want to wait for Longhorn to start looking cool, wait for Beta1.

As for installing it on the ME partition - as long as you format it and than start the Longhorn instalation from WinodwsXP and choose that partition to install it on you'll be fine and will have a normal double-boot environment.

Hope that helps :)

You have a very close friend at Microsoft, yet you spell MS "M$"?

And than again, the employees I'm sure won't care if the guy is giving out copies of 4074, it IS a publically released build anyways. The kids friends dad could have an MSDN subscription or have attended WinHEC, which morally still does not make it right to be lending it - but so what? You lying about having a "close friend" at "M$" illegitimately to sound important isn't "morally right" either, more like "idiotic".

--

To answer the original thread starters question: Installing Longhorn itself can either be a very painful experience if it decides to be picky with your hardware, or a very blant experience. If you have no hardware problems with Longhorn, you will just enter serial number, some user info, choose partition you want to install it to - and LH will do the rest. Once you've actually booted into Longhorn for the first time you MIGHT have difficulty with drivers and support for your hardware. Longhorn was never able to detect my USB DSL modem, and I had to jump over a few hurdles to get my video drivers properly installed. Overall you'll notice that spending ~40-70 minutes installing it wasn't worth it.

You'll notice a new theme which differs from Luna - some different window headers, sidebar, and most of the cool features which were supposed to be there will be broken or work faulty. You'll notice one heck of a memory leak and general slowness compared to XP (altho Longhorn was always able  to open my large folders alot quicker than XP, now - enable thumbnail view and try to open a folder with 5000+ images, with WinFS working, and you'll have yourself a restart).

If you're a bit smarter at peaking around you'll find out about the MILExplorer and DWM stuff available in 4074 - which if you don't find, you can feel free to PM me about and I'll give you detailed instructions on how to make 4074 look a bit cooler. But still, overall you will only be installing a bit of a revamped and crappy XP when installing 4074 - it's made for developers who want to start developing applications using Avalon/XAML and see how it'd work real time in Longhorn, not for end users to test, so it won't have much that'll appeal to you. If you want to wait for Longhorn to start looking cool, wait for Beta1.

As for installing it on the ME partition - as long as you format it and than start the Longhorn instalation from WinodwsXP and choose that partition to install it on you'll be fine and will have a normal double-boot environment.

Hope that helps :)

585203950[/snapback]

Wow! Thanks a lot, you have answered all my questions in one post. Basically the only reason im installing it is because im very curious as to what microsoft has been working on. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it :)

I need someone to confirm something for me:

I have 2 OS systems on my partitioned hardrive. XP and ME. I use XP, but I dont use ME so I want to install Longhorn over that.

I have longhorn so do I install it from XP, or ME? And installing Longhorn over ME, will it get rid of XP? I need to know.........as my dad seems to think that formatting my ME partionion will also cockup XP.

Can someone answer this?

I think that you need to erase the ME partition before you put Longhorn on it.

585205549[/snapback]

Doesnt the longhorn disk do this for you? How can I format it without getting rid of XP? Damn im confused.

Im sure if you boot up on your ME partition and install LH, it should install over ME. Im pretty sure it wont touch XP, but dont take my word for it, it just seems logical if it did that...

Im sure if you boot up on your ME partition and install LH, it should install over ME.  Im pretty sure it wont touch XP, but dont take my word for it, it just seems logical if it did that...

585205556[/snapback]

I found this interesting guide, its if you have two seperate hard drives, but im not sure if the same applies for two partitions.

The Site

If your serious about testing this out then the best option I would think would be to pickup an old 10-15gb hdd on ebay (7200rpm) and just use it for this alone as you wont need any space for games etc as its alittle pointless at this stage, but the spare 5-10gb you,ll have will be just fine for maybe some vids / music and obviously the odd prog :)

Ok, well i guess you dont care about ME...right? well just format that partition and install LH on it.

585205592[/snapback]

I dont care about ME, but I just need to know, formatting ME wont affect the XP partition will it? (If I format like it says on that guide in my previous post)

I dont care about ME, but I just need to know, formatting ME wont affect the XP partition will it? (If I format like it says on that guide in my previous post)

585205604[/snapback]

No, it will not.

well least you have a back up, so if something went wrong you can recover your work. If you need any help just post on here and i will try and help you out. G2g, party to go to!!

well least you have a back up, so if something went wrong you can recover your work.  If you need any help just post on here and i will try and help you out.  G2g, party to go to!!

585205636[/snapback]

Have a nice party! Enjoy yaself :p

585205604[/snapback]

The Longhorn installer behaves nearly the same as the WinXP installer. The only change it may make to your XP parition is to disable it as the default boot parition (if it was set to that). The Longhorn install may overright your MBR, but I don't think will touch the bootsector of your XP parition.

Longhorn is easy to install, infact, thats the best bit. The rest sucks.

585203236[/snapback]

Haha yeah, Longhorn is nothing special at the moment, when will people realise this :pinch:

I get all of what you said, except (im sorry if this is a n00b question) but what is my "MBR"?

585205869[/snapback]

Master Boot Record:

An area of the outermost cylinder of a PC hard disk which contains the partition table. This contains four entries identifying the types, starting cylinder and sizes of up to four partitions on the hard disk. One of the entries is flagged as 'active'; this marks the partition from which the machine will boot. (Floppy disks don't have an MBR, since they don't have a partition table. Instead, they just have a boot sector (same as a logical disk), which contains a Media Descriptor Table (MDT) and bootstrap loader. The MDT describes the format of a floppy disk or logical disk).

Read More