Apple reports 525% iPod growth and 26% Mac growth

Same as how AAC support seems to be so limited on PC's.  It's really a shame every company feels the need to create their own format.

Microsoft- WMA

Sony- ATRAC

Apple- AAC

etc.

585283821[/snapback]

AAC is an industry standard, part of the MP4 standard and is supported by several PC music players including iTunes, WinAmp and VLC and a few portable players beside the iPods. The format was not created by Apple.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Portable_MP3_Players...tive_technology

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Portable_MP3_Players...3-aac-panasonic

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Portable_MP3_Players...512_3-aac-nokia

It is true that DRMed AAC (.m4p aka Fairplay) is only supported by iTunes and the iPod but there are also some portable music players that only support non-DRMed WMA so your point is moot for the most part. Fairplay was originally created by a third party company until Apple bought it out.

The only format you listed that is completely proprietary would be ATRAC by Sony. I would argue that WMA is also proprietary since both the format and DRM are only available through MS.

Its good to see Apple came back from their slump back in 2000. I forsee good things in the Apple world, I *knew* I should have bought stocks then. Oh well! Good for them!

I (well my parents) bought Apple stocks about 6 month ago....at the time it was about....$16 a share?...and now it have climed.....what?....at least $50 a share?....LOL!!

that's a good investment....not anymore....(cause the price is so high)...but if we sell them now, we'll be going on to vacations around the world.... :laugh:  :laugh:

585282264[/snapback]

:| I didn't even think of buying shares. I could still buy 'em now and make osme money anyway ;)

this is what i call a marketing trend, only reason why Ipods are so popular are becuase the avg. buyer does no resurch about products. if they did they find that there are much better units out there like iRiver and Creative

saw it on tv yesterday. apple claimed that every 7th sold mp3player worldwide is an ipod.

585285354[/snapback]

That's crazy, Apple can't have known how massive it was going to be when they released it.

offtopic/ haha Just realised you can actually placy PacMan in timdorr's avatar

this is what i call a marketing trend, only reason why Ipods are so popular are becuase the avg. buyer does no resurch about products. if they did they find that there are much better units out there like iRiver and Creative

585285372[/snapback]

The same could be said about windows and PCs. :p

585285372[/snapback]

The reason why iPods are more popular is that they have better ergonomics, better design and are less of a compromise than the bizarrely-named "iRiver" and its ilk. Sure there are some downsides to the iPod (battery life, for example) but they aren't sufficient to put most people off. As is evidenced by the huge market share of the various models of iPod.

90% of buyers couldn't really care if one player goes 8 hours, the other 10, all they know is that every few days put it in the charger, same goes for your cell phone. I can usually go 5 days on a single charge on my ipod.