We know about the Server Busy

I haven't seen a flashing add in a LONG time on neowin. The admins are very good about watching and getting rid of "problem ads".

Why don't you just block the ones that annoy you?

585320654[/snapback]

By 'flashing', I'm talking about anything with movement or changing colours (i.e. NOT a static image). This includes animated GIFs and Macromedia Flash content. I could also include scrolling marquees there, which are just as annoying.

I don't just block the ads that annoy me because it's far easier to just block everything than to go through each individual one (there's hundreds of rules in my ad blocking software) and work out whether it matches an ad that I would consider annoying or not. It does its job, so why change it?

The only exception to this is that I don't block Google ads because they're just text as opposed to images and they actually offer something useful to me, i.e. show pages with related content. Anything else is of no interest to me and I would not click on them anyway, so blocking them wouldn't decrease the amount of money they get from me since I wouldn't click on them anyway, and just serves to keep the whole annoyance factor down for me.

MySQL's not so much the issue as the PHP processing is. That's why we have multiple webservers and haven't split off into a clustered MySQL setup.

We're still getting a LOT of traffic from the Bill Gates thread the other day. It should die down over the course of the week.

585321350[/snapback]

What Bill Gates thread? I looked around on the main news page but I don't see anything. Was it a forum post?