[MLB] Sosa going to Baltimore?

Chicago Cubs outfielder Sammy Sosa will be traded to the Baltimore Orioles for infielder Jerry Hairston and at least two minor-leaguers, pending physicals and approval from commissioner Bud Selig and the players' association. An Orioles source told ESPN's Tim Kurkjian that the only way the trade will not happen is if someone fails a physical.

A source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick the Cubs will be responsible for about $10 million of Sosa's $17 million contract in 2005. The Associated Press reported sources said Sosa would agree to void his salary in 2006.

Sosa's contract gives the Cubs an $18 million option in 2006 with a $4.5 million buyout. But the contract says that if he is traded, his 2006 salary would become guaranteed and a 2007 club option would be added at $19 million with a $4.5 million buyout.

Rest of article: ESPN

edit: updated the quote, since the article was updated.

Edited by Steffan

Well if the Cubs are willing to pay a major portion of his salary, then it might be a good trade for the Os.

Poor defense, lots of Ks, too much distraction, and there are other guys in the league who can provide a better all around package.

it looks like he's going, since both teams agree to the trade and all Sosa has to do is pass the physical and waive his no trade clause

dude he is a leader. this would be great for baltimore! maybe i would watch them again.

now... he needs to smash the HR record there if he goes :p

585378233[/snapback]

Yeah a true leader who doesnt even show up for the last game of the season, take it from a true Cubs fan, we want Sosa gone. He hasnt produced, he's injury prone, leadership skills have gone downhill, and he has grown a LARGE ego.

This is the best day for the Cubs in the offseason.

maybe so but it will bring a lot of fans to see the games. plus it may make them more competitive. i always love when a play switches to the opposite league. i think he should do well in the american.

dude he is a leader. this would be great for baltimore! maybe i would watch them again.

now... he needs to smash the HR record there if he goes :p

585378233[/snapback]

haha, that's right... he leads by example -- he tells the Cubs they might as well stop playing by leaving the game! :laugh:

did not see this coming..

585381091[/snapback]

I saw him leaving coming (I think most people did), but I didn't expect it right now, and I didn't expect it to the Orioles.

haha, that's right... he leads by example -- he tells the Cubs they might as well stop playing by leaving the game!  :laugh:

585380522[/snapback]

burrrrn :p hahaha

you seen the details of the deal? the cubs are getting robbed. muahhahaha.

A source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick the Cubs will be responsible for about $10 million of Sosa's $17 million contract in 2005. The Associated Press reported sources said Sosa would agree to void his salary in 2006.

Yeah, they kept repeating that part when the trade was first announced -- that the Cubs would have to pay most of his upcoming salary and they'd only get 2 players (a 2nd baseman and prospect).

I think the Cubs just want him gone, obviously. I would, too.

As sportscenter was coming to close, they showed Sosa trying on his new uniform. The press conference is on espn news, which I don't have grr :argh: :angry:

man, sosa not in a cubs uni...that seems so weird. he brought me a lot of great memories...lots of glimmers of hope.

now we just need to move on...

man, sosa not in a cubs uni...that seems so weird.  he brought me a lot of great memories...lots of glimmers of hope.

now we just need to move on...

585404415[/snapback]

The only great memories I have of him over the past couple years are him having consecutive strike out days and diving errors. I always hated your little hop skip, and your stupid ass run to the outfield. The whole throwing water on your face too was just dumb to me and I'm glad I won't be seeing it on any more Cub games. Coming from a Sox fan, Sammy, you won't be missed. :p