My Next Computer...

Alright, I'm neutral here being BOTH an Intel junky and an AMD enthusiast,

So...

My current Athlon 64 3200+ does not feel any different than my previous 3.0C. Let me just be honest here and say that the ONLY thing that feels "slightly" faster on the 64 platform are things like.............BENCHMARKS! LOL! Seriously people, no one's gonna notice that an application loads .0005 seconds faster or that a game is 5-20 FPS faster (especially since both platforms can do over 100FPS on most games anyway when paired with a 6800 Ultra). When I overclocked my 3200+ to 2.48GHz, it still felt the same as my 3.0C overclocked at 3.67GHz! So it makes no sense debating over which is best...because there IS no best unless you get an FX-55 paired with DDR600 RAM and an SLI mobo....but by then you'd be spending way over what Steven had in mind.

So...

GO INTEL AND AMD! I LOVE YOU BOTH!

OH YEAH....AND GO STEVEN! NICE SYSTEM!

Grand total of $2985.90 for the entire system.

585410537[/snapback]

You are just amazing how are you able to screw up 3 times!!

I want PCI-Express!!! Why the hell am I going to spend almost 3 Grand on that configuration and NOT even get PCI-Express?!! You must be out of your friggen mind.

I'm building a Next Generation Computer.

Edited by Steven

I hate to bring up the issue of amd vs intel, but come on....Intel is being left behind here. AMD already has 64-bit cpus out, Intel doesn't, and they outperform the pentium 4s in just about every category.

585410856[/snapback]

Whether or not I have a "64 bit Processor" has no affect on how I build this computer. I don't have any use for 64 bit (yet) so please don't throw that card into the mix.

Edited by Steven

You are just amazing how are you able to screw up 3 times!!

I want PCI-Express!!! Why the hell am I going to spend almost 3 Grand on that configuration and NOT even get PCI-Express?!! You must be out of your friggen mind.

I'm building a Next Generation Computer.

585412802[/snapback]

Well if all your doing is building something to have the latest and greatest... why waste $3000 on something that is so severly lacking and outdated? I mean if your so absolutely must have the latest thing available...

1)You dont have 2 PCI-E GF 6800 Ultras in SLI.

5)Your sound card is still PCI, why not spring for the PCI-E model?

2)Your system will not have SATA 300 hard drives... SATA150 is last generation technology, its already outdated.

3)Your system will not have a dual core cpu, or a 1200 Mhz FSB. Heck, you dont even have the top of the line single core cpu, it still has an 800FSB.

4)Your buying a legacy system... Your mobo still has legacy Serial, Parallel, & PS/2 ports which will slow down your new dream machine.

6)Your not buying a vapochill vapor cooling system to stop that flamethrower from blowing up when you overclock it to 4.6Ghz.

7)You didnt buy a 30 inch plasma monitor and 7.1 Klipsch Pro-Media Surround Sound System to go with that system.

8)You failed to buy the Space Shuttle, International Space Station, and Hubble Telescope that your new machine should be able to fully control.

SNIPPED

Edited by AgEnTsMiTh

^ Alright mr. 25 post. Listen up, this is how things are going to be from now on. You need to keep your fanboyism to your self. That?s 1st. 2ndly never talk to Steven like that because he knows more about hardware then your will ever possibly comprehend. What ****ing part of "I don't want an AMD system" don't you understand? Even if you don't agree with him, the guy has freaking 21,000 post and commands more respect and has helped a lot more people on this site then you will ever help in your life. So why don't you and your 25 post just go, if you can't help a topic and help the starter then maybe Neowin isn't that place for you. You need to earn some stripes on this site before you tell anyone to "bow down" to you.:rolleyes:s:

Well if all your doing is building something to have the latest and greatest... why waste $3000 on something that is so severly lacking and outdated?  I mean if your so absolutely must have the latest thing available...

1)You dont have 2 PCI-E GF 6800 Ultras in SLI.

5)Your sound card is still PCI, why not spring for the PCI-E model?

2)Your system will not have SATA 300 hard drives... SATA150 is last generation technology, its already outdated.

3)Your system will not have a dual core cpu, or a 1200 Mhz FSB.  Heck, you dont even have the top of the line single core cpu, it still has an 800FSB.

4)Your buying a legacy system... Your mobo still has legacy Serial, Parallel, & PS/2 ports which will slow down your new dream machine. 

6)Your not buying a vapochill vapor cooling system to stop that flamethrower from blowing up when you overclock it to 4.6Ghz.

7)You didnt buy a 30 inch plasma monitor and 7.1 Klipsch Pro-Media Surround Sound System to go with that system.

8)You failed to buy the Space Shuttle, International Space Station, and Hubble Telescope that your new machine should be able to fully control.

Why dont you do us all a favor and stop trying so hard to be the biggest a$$hole u can be.

585413625[/snapback]

1. What does having SLI matter? Most games don't even do well with SLI and the fact that I'm buying a graphics card with SLI gives me the ability later on to go to nForce5 when its availble.

2. SATA2 is not readily availble. there is 1 drive on the market and its not Western Digital Therefore I will not buy it.

3. Dual Core is not out yet.

4. Having Legacy Devices has no affect on your performance. In fact all of those will be disabled via my BIOS when Its setup.

5. well it looks like you can't count..cuz.. you put 5 after 1.... :laugh: You are amazing!

Again There are NO PCI-Express sound cards around so that'll change once one is avaible! I"m surely not going to not have sound! lol I can't help it if something isn't out to buy.

6. Watercooling or whatever will be appart of my system eventually. I can't buy everything all at once. I think dropping 3G to start is plenty for one round of purchases. :p

7) I dont' need a 30 inch plasma, in fact plasma sucks it suffers from burn in. My Dell 2001FP is just perfect already. I will be upgrading to the 2405FPW, 24" once I get feedback from early adopters.

8) Well I get the feeling of NASA Everyday in my car when I drive around with my XM Satellite Radio. :cool:

^ Alright mr. 25 post. Listen up, this is how things are going to be from now on. You need to keep your fanboyism to your self. That?s 1st. 2ndly never talk to Steven like that because he knows more about hardware then your will ever possibly comprehend. What ****ing part of "I don't want an AMD system" don't you understand? Even if you don't agree with him, the guy has freaking 21,000 post and commands more respect and has helped a lot more people on this site then you will ever help in your life. So why don't you and your 25 post just go, if you can't help a topic and help the starter then maybe Neowin isn't that place for you. You need to earn some stripes on this site before you tell anyone to "bow down" to you.:rolleyes:es:

585413687[/snapback]

1st, I find is hilarious that you measure the amount of respect someone deserves based on the number of posts he has on some messageboard. I on the otherhand choose to repsect what one has truly accomplished in life.

2nd, you dont know anything about me, you know nothing about my level of hardware knowledge, or the amount of people i have helped in my life. So I need not even repsond further to that comment, despite that fact i have accomplished much in my professional career, I dont have to justify my existance to you or anyone else.

3rd, I shouldnt have said what i said in that earlier post, and I apologize for it. but I'm not here to earn your repsect or stevens on anyone elses either, and i dont kare if i ever do. I speak the truth as i see it, whether you like it or not. If you dont like what i say, your welcome to just not read my posts.

I even tried to be nice and redo the post with new configurations. Ok, so i forgot the PCI express video card, my bad.

But rather than just jumping in my grill about it (I aint taking no ones crap about being a screwup even if it does come from sum1 with 21000 posts)...

y dont you just chill & say... what would be the price with PCI-E instead of AGP?

To do this would be an Addition $110 for a total of $3095. Would include an Asus A8V-E (PCI-E board) and an EVGA.com GF6800 Ultra PCI-E.

Edited by sao123

Regardless of what parts he buys.... Some of them are definately cheaper on ZZF than the price list he used at the beginning.

EVGA GF6800Ultra PCI-E $599.99-ZZF $639.99-NE

Antec NeoWin 480 $109.99-ZZF $125.00-NE

Intel P4 560J 3.6cpu $430.00-ZZF $449.00-NE

Corsair DDR2-5400 1GB Pro $330.00-ZZF $335.00-NE **

I think these are identical memory by specs, but zzf does not mention activity lights...

WinXP Pro OEM $134.99-ZZF $147.95-NE

A possible savings of -> $91.97.

I found ZipZoomFly.com to have better prices then Newegg.com. I configured a system close to stevens (the one i'm buying) and it came out to be about $120 cheepr not to mention everything had FREE 2 day shipping, which saves me about another $50.

#1, I do not consider myself no amd zealot.  I choose what gets the best performance per price.

#2, Add another plextor drive.  + $125

#3, AMD does not use DDR2... so upgrade to Corsair DDR 550 which is the fastest DDR1 and still faster than DDR2-675.  +$165

#4, And Downgrade to your Antec Neopower -$6, from my my True Control 550W.

#5, So remove the Lian-Li Warrior case and add the Lian Case U want.

Its still a FASTER, BETTER, MORE POWERFUL, and CHEAPER SYSTEM.

585409971[/snapback]

Seriously let it go..........

I hate to bring up the issue of amd vs intel, but come on....Intel is being left behind here. AMD already has 64-bit cpus out, Intel doesn't, and they outperform the pentium 4s in just about every category. you can't deny that the fx-55 is better than any pentium 4. if you want the next generation computer, get a 64-bit one, thats the bottom line.

585410856[/snapback]

Um Intel has their EMT64s out........Where you been living under a rock? And AMDs do not outpreform Intels in every single category. Intels are better more multitasking and video encoding.

Probably going to be purchasing the following configuration. I"m just conserned about its cost and if i've gotten the best products

Leave Intel but critique the other stuff. :)

Probably going to happen within 4-6 weeks... 99.9% positive. :)

.1 = Worth it & Cost.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

585395710[/snapback]

Steven I looked around a bit and saw if i could configure your system a little bit cheaper. Im just trying to help out so if i miss anything sorry:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....watch&ATT=Cases $180

Motherboard: http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetai...=OTC-pr1c3watch $225

You got a cheaper graphic card then the one i could find... $639

PSU: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...iate=pricewatch $109

Proc: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...oductCode=80813 $430

Mem: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....T=System+Memory $312.33

Floppy is cheapest.... $7.50

1st drive (250GB): http://www.bestbargainpc.com/wedi25sawdsa1.html $123

2nd driver (Raptor): http://bestbargainpc.com/wedira7410sa.html $170

Cheapest DVD Writer... $124.99

Cheapest sound card.... $69.99

OS: http://www.directdeals.com/ProductDetails....&src=pricewatch $139

Total: $2529.81 compared to your $3003.90

Its a difference of $474.09

For me at least saving money is the most important thing :p

Good find and luck with your new system!

Seriously let it go..........

For me at least saving money is the most important thing :p

Good find and luck with your new system!

585414332[/snapback]

whats this "Cheapest Sound Card" & "Cheapest DVD Writer" also you left out the 2nd Raptor.....by the way I want 2 identical burners. Plextor 16X DVD SATA only. You didn't save me much if any if you decided on products which aren't the same as what I selected.

Sorry In the middle of writing the post i accually had to go. I mean by "cheapest (insert device here)" that i could not find a cheaper price than the one you found.

The total sum would then come out to $2824.80

You would be saving a total of $179.10

Sorry In the middle of writing the post i accually had to go. I mean by "cheapest (insert device here)" that i could not find a cheaper price than the one you found.

The total sum would then come out to $2824.80

You would be saving a total of $179.10

585414583[/snapback]

ahhh... I see but if i figure in like taxes and like extra shipping fees... and having to have to deal with multiple vendors...I'd be willing to eat the cost to get it at newegg all together. :)

I do appreciate your help! :)

ahhh... I see but if i figure in like taxes and like extra shipping fees... and having to have to deal with multiple vendors...I'd be willing to eat the cost to get it at newegg all together. :)

585414598[/snapback]

Yep i thought of that it would come around to about $100 savings so IMO its not really worth it to get it from different vendors.

Have fun with your system :yes:

EVGA GF6800Ultra PCI-E ............$599.99-ZZF............ $639.99-NE

Antec NeoWin 480 ..................................$109.99-ZZF............ $125.00-NE

Intel P4 560J 3.6cpu ...............................$430.00-ZZF............ $449.00-NE

Corsair DDR2-5400 1GB Pro ...................$330.00-ZZF............ $335.00-NE **

I think these are identical memory by specs, but zzf does not mention activity lights...

WinXP Pro OEM ......................................$134.99-ZZF............ $147.95-NE

A possible savings of -> $91.97.

585414598[/snapback]

Well, if you order the few parts from ZZF I mentioned earlier, there would be no additional shipping - free 2day shipping (and should no extra sales taxes, zzf isnt in AZ ), and your NewEgg shipping might even go down.

I understand the hassel of dealing with multiple vendors, but its an easy $100 extra to save, and you only have to order from 2 places.