My Next Computer...

going from 3.2 to 3.6 ...... lotta money for not much performance. I could never go back to intel after getting my new AMD system

going from 3.2 to 3.6 ...... lotta money for not much performance. I could never go back to intel after getting my new AMD system

585397406[/snapback]

After reading why hes upgrading, the point of your post is?

you should skip the floppy. It's not necessairy. Floppy is almost dead now. RIP Foppy drive :p

you could try the asus p5gdc-v deluxe mobo, cus it's cheaper and it's got almost the same features. i saw some cooooool ddr2 rams somewhere. costed almost $2000 for a 1 x 1024 mb memory. the specs on it where fabolous :p

you should skip the floppy. It's not necessairy. Floppy is almost dead now. RIP Foppy drive :p

you could try the asus p5gdc-v deluxe mobo, cus it's cheaper and it's got almost the same features.  i saw some cooooool ddr2 rams somewhere. costed almost $2000 for a 1 x 1024 mb memory. the specs on it where fabolous :p

585397461[/snapback]

The floppy is absolutely necessary because I'm going to setup a RAID Array with the Raptors. Also some of my professors still use floppy disks as the source of submitting work.

I don't want "Almost The Same Features" I want the BEST FEATURES and a sexy looking PCB. This machine is not about cutting corners.\

Having a Black PCB Motherboard is something i've wanted since ASUS Created the ASUS P4PE Black Pearl Motherboard.

Black Color boards IMO are the sex0r. :D

585397406[/snapback]

Christ dude, you are now the official AMD fanboy of Neowin,. every time you are in the hardware hang out your like "oh AMD ownz, they are the best, mine is so fast..." You never contribute to the actual topics. Why don't you go live our the rest of your days in General Discussion okay? :rolleyes:

Great system I'm going to upgrade to a A64 system this spring, and I'm switching to ASUS from MSI hope it's worth it. Good choices on the optical drives I have a Premium and a PX712A both are biege bezels though. I'll keep my mouth shut on the Intel and Nvidia stuff, except I hope you have a steady hand you don't want to bend or break any of those pins!

The Abit board to many darned fans and 40mm fans that will be freaking loud they should have heatpiped all that "heat" instead of using tiny fans to blow it out.

xxpor,

Why is it so hard fo you to not listen? I said LEAVE INTEL.

Please delete all that stuff you posted. It's very long and it doesn't interest me one bit. I am going to continue my legency to Intel. I don't need a 64 bit processor and I don't need AMD.

Thanks.

Christ dude, you are now the official AMD fanboy of Neowin,. every time you are in the hardware hang out your like "oh AMD ownz, they are the best, mine is so fast..." You never contribute to the actual topics. Why don't you go live our the rest of your days in General Discussion okay?  :rolleyes:

585397522[/snapback]

whoaa, chill out man. I was just giving my opinion.

Let me just say if you want to do that, assuming your proc is LGA775 (dont know if they make lga775 northwoods) dont buy a new processor, just everything else. Also, why 2 optical drives?

Let me just say if you want to do that, assuming your proc is LGA775 (dont know if they make lga775 northwoods) dont buy a new processor, just everything else. Also, why 2 optical drives?

585397619[/snapback]

I don't have LGA775, My Current CPU is a 3.2GHz C (478) and why 2 Optical drives?

One for Burnning DVD's, Reading DVD's, Burnning CDRW, Reading CDROM

the other for Burning, CDRW and Copying CDRW from the other drive.

tbh get a lian-li... they are by far the best! i think the 6061b is the one im referring to (correct me if im wrong, but thats the soundproofed one which got 100% for everybody who reviewed it)

Why not give the Intel high definition audio a try and maybe change to the Audigy 2 or a PCIE version (when made) if and when you change speakers ?

585397879[/snapback]

Intel High Def doesn't support EAX....sooooooo.... :wacko:

Its proven that using an SB improves your frame rates!

Chassis

Lian Li Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case, Model "PC-V1200B" -RETAIL

I like how the motherboard is mounted upside down, it makes it so that the Graphics Card fan is blowing upwards - where heat flows - instead of down. I also like Lian-Li's sideways-mounted HDD(3.5") mounts. The case itself is pretty darn ugly and I would even call it an Apple ripoff. I would consider a simular case from Lian-Li that doesn't look as bad.

Optical Drives

Plextor Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model PX-PREMIUM-BPS/BL, OEM

This is completely useless, and if you want the best, you shouldn't get this either. If you burn 2x CD-Rs at a time, it will take twice as long to burn anyway, and when doing disc-to-disc(on the fly), you can only do that with CDs. I strongly suggest that you replace it with a DVD Drive, then you can also burn disc-to-disc(on the fly) DVDs.

Plextor 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive, Model PX-716SA/SW, Retail

I really like this drive, especially the SATA, because my next PC will have 8 SATA ports and I will need to save on the PATA because there are only 4 of them :(

Floppy Drive

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM

An internal floppy drive is a waste of time and not worth the money no matter how cheap, they are used to rarely that it would be a better option to get an external USB Floppy Drive to use it for those odd-jobs like setting up the RAID and occasional assignments, etc. and you will still have a flexability of using the same drive quickly and easily on other computers you might own in the future without bothering with a floppy drive for those either. By buying an external Floppy Drive, you are promoting the death of the floppy sooner because when you continue the trend of not buying an internal floppy, the internal floppy and the connectors for it that waste space can die sooner.

Hard Drives

Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD2500JD, OEM Drive Only

2 Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only

Personally I prefer Seagate for the 250GB, 5-year warrenty is worth the little extra because it represents their confidence in their workmanship. You said it has TCQ, just to make you correct, it has NCQ, which is different to TCQ. TCQ is for SCSI, NCQ is for SATA.

The raptor is ok, because there are no offerings from Seagate in the 10,000RPM speed

Motherboard

ASUS "P5AD2-E Premium" i925XE Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU -RETAIL

925 is rubbish because the only real difference from 915 is support for the 1066mhz FSB, so unless you get a 1066mhz FSB Extreme Edition, you are not getting the full potential from your motherboard OR RAM.

Also the FSB is outdated because it shares the bandwidth between all devices, whereas HyperTransport makes a point-to-point switching connection so that a direct communication can be made between any two system devices while not creating a bottleneck. I guess that this could turn into AMD vs. Intel but if it were me, I'ld wait until Intel release an alternaive to the FSB that works simular to HT.

I would of also liked to wait for the nVidia nForce 5 chipset for P4... SLI and all those other goodies on the P4 system :p

Power Supply

Antec 480 watt 120mm fan ATX 12V v2.0 power supply, Active PFC, Model "NeoPower" - Retail

Someone said this was the second-best... then what is the best? :huh:

CPU

Intel Pentium 4 560J 3.60GHz LGA 775, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Processor w/ Hyper Threading Technology - Retail[/i]

I know that you know everything about Intel CPUs, but I thaught that there were P4s in LGA775 that had EM64T and EDB, I think it would be the "560F". Or maybe it had EM64T instead of EDB. Either way, I'm sure the EM64T would be more useful that the EDB because Windows XP SP2 has software-based EDB anyway, and Windows x64 is already in Release Candidate Stage.

edit: Oh and about the sound card, I too would wait for a PCI-Express version, and PCI Cards you have are going to be obsolete in the not so distant future.

585395710[/snapback]

Removed the Plextor Premium and Added a Second 16X Plextor SATA DVD Burner. :D

I'm now completely PATA FREE!!!! YAY! :D