Otachan's in_mpg123, Winamp mp3 decoding plugin

This is a mpg123 based mp3 decoder plugin for winamp.

Changes Since 1.18y pl-08:

? Supports Winamp5 (Thanks to T-Matsuo)

? Supports MP1, MP2

? Supports ID3v2 and APE tags

? Can display ID3v2/APE tag specific data in titles (%a ~ %e)

? Takes care of multibyte encodings in title display

? Tag editing functions are disabled; T-Matsuo's mp3infp is called externally instead. You need to install mp3infp to edit 24 Int 24<32nt 3232at 3264at 64bit outpu:Dpossible :D

? Sample-exact output for LAME encodGapless decodings decodingReplayGainb>ReplayGain

? Improved streaming playback support

? mpg123 library ugraded to pre0.59s

? Fixed the mpg123 library's limitation of not being able to play MPEG-2.5/8kHz data (Thanks Changelog:)

Changelog:

Ver. 1.18y ot80a (2005/1/31)

? Error checking is now more strict

? Removed "Continue decoding even when errInstallation:t;

Installation:

Copy in_mpg123.dll to the plugin directory, uncheck Layer III checkbox on the

General tab in in_mp3.dll (the original nitrane decoder) configuration panel & restart Winamp.

post-20663-1107696934_thumb.jpg

Source, Homepage (Japanese) & Direct Download

Um exactly what does this do? It plays MP3s.......what better way can a MP3 be played? Im lost...

585422965[/snapback]

it allows mp3s to be played at 24bit sound quality. You probably won't hear a different, no one really will, but it is, in fact, a tad bit better. It also provides other features, though, such as replaygain ability.

it allows mp3s to be played at 24bit sound quality. You probably won't hear a different, no one really will, but it is, in fact, a tad bit better. It also provides other features, though, such as replaygain ability.

585423291[/snapback]

But in order to hear it at 24 bit I would need a 24 bit card like the Auidgy 2 ZS (which i have) right?

If thats the case maybe ill give it a try...

But in order to hear it at 24 bit I would need a 24 bit card like the Auidgy 2 ZS (which i have) right?

585423328[/snapback]

Yep, I do love my audigy. I used to use the MAD plugin with QCD, but it's Winamp counterpart had id3 tag issues. I'm so glad this is a more up to date, 24bit capable plugin.

It does not override default in_mp3 plugin, you have to remove MP3 association from default decoder and it'll take over.

585423339[/snapback]

Ah ok, thanks.

The only thing I don't like about this plugin is the default setting for thread priority. It should not be set to highest, by default.

The decoder uses mp3infp when you select File Info.

585423697[/snapback]

just noticed that. it would be nice to have an id3 tag editor built in like the default plugin.

Decoding it into 24bit does nothing, if you want to use it for that reason. 24bit improves precision to below -96db, but I want to see the ear that is actually able to notice that. Doesn't exist. Not to mention the soundcard DAC screwing up, noise in the analog circuits, and what's it. 24bit is overrated. The only areas where higher bitdepths make sense is audio engineering, where mixing loads of different channels introduces inaccuracies, where higher bitdepths reduce the accumulating quantisation noise.

And if you're really out for that nonsensical high quality decoding, Foobar2000 has a 64bit pipeline and output dithering to 24 and 32bit. And that since ages. If you didn't care using that app until now, I don't see why you'd want a 24bit decoder for Winamp suddenly.

so when I configure this, I set it to 24bit for my Audigy 2 OEM, right?

oh and maybe next time PUT SOME UNCORRUPTED FILES ON THE SITE.

Edited by DigitalN.

And if you're really out for that nonsensical high quality decoding, Foobar2000 has a 64bit pipeline and output dithering to 24 and 32bit. And that since ages. If you didn't care using that app until now, I don't see why you'd want a 24bit decoder for Winamp suddenly.

585423901[/snapback]

I didn't use foobar cause I don't like it, simple as that. I've always wanted a 24bit decoder for winamp, but the one I was always interested in, MAD, had as I stated, ID3 tag problems with some files.

General tab in in_mp3.dll (the original nitrane decoder) configuration panel & restart Winamp.

Just an FYI Winamp hasn't used the nitrane decoder in years (since version 2.666). It currently uses a slightly modified Fraunhofer decoder.

just noticed that. it would be nice to have an id3 tag editor built in like the default plugin.

585423821[/snapback]

Sorry for all the questions but whats the difference between this mp3info editor and the original one we're all use to?

Sorry for all the questions but whats the difference between this mp3info editor and the original one we're all use to?

585424592[/snapback]

the one this plugin uses is an addon you have to download that modifies the windows file properties dialog for an mp3.

the simple fact this adds gapless is reason enough to use it, the winamp team really should add gapless playback to there default decoder (maybe as an option) as gaps really ruin the atmosphere of some albums and crossfading is almost as bad sometimes.

does it allow you to add replygain info to files you just provide support on playback?

Edited by Waylander

585423328[/snapback]

even with 24bit soundcard, you wont hear a difference

this is just physically impossible

unless you tell me you have a yamaha soundcard $$$ that is plugged onto very high end receiver and that you also have reference speakers...