Way Too Many Sub-Forums

Hi ya'all,

This is just in my own opinion, but there are way too many different forum areas on this site now. When I first registered there were less than half of the areas, now there's so many here, and even more being written that it's getting out of hand.

I'm not complaining about the site (I love the site and content), I just feel that it gets too confusing to keep splitting up areas of the forums into more of them.

For example, here's the listing of the drop-down-menu:

The General Stuff

-- General Discussion

---- Real World Issues

---- The Poll Station

-- Gamers Hangout

-- Jokes & Funny Stuff

-- The Media Room

-- The Trade Off (Members Only) Customizing Windows

-- Customizing Windows XP

---- Completed Visual Styles

---- Custom Boot Screens

---- Custom Login Screens

-- Customizing Windows 98SE/ME/2000

-- Cursors, Icons & Wallpapers

-- Tweaking Windows

-- WindowBlinds Area

Operating Systems Support

-- Windows NT4/2000/XP/.NET

-- Windows 95/98/98SE/ME

-- Linux & Macintosh

Help & Discussion Center

-- Drivers Drive-In

-- Hardware Hangout

-- Internet & Network Security

-- Overclocking and PC Modding

-- PDA, Tablet & Mobile Devices

-- Software Discussion & Assistance Designing & Programming

-- Web/Graphic Designers Corner

-- Programming (C++, DELPHI, VB etc...)

-- Web Programming (HTML, JAVA, PHP, XML etc...)

Site Related Discussion

-- Back Page News

-- Site & Forum Issues

About a year ago there were probably only about 5 catagories. And now if anyone wishes to post something they're either in the wrong area of the site because they didn't continualy check the drop-down-menu, or they're lucky by putting it within the "General Discussion".

I don't wanna' cause trouble or start an argument, I was just wondering if anyone else here feels the same way - or is it just me..?

Sorry about this guys, but I feel someone had to say something :rambo:

P.S.

Great site though :ditsy:

I don't wanna' seem to be pushy, but this is a perfect example. I thought this went under "General Discussion" but I understand now that it should of been in the "Site & Forum" area.

I got confused writing the last message :ermm:

I think there are some unnecessary sub forums, but honestly I don't believe it's too bad. It's better than having few, large, uncontrolabe forums... That's just my opinion though.

I can understand where you are coming from but the Sub Forums were created in response to user feedback. They are there to help take some of the load from the General Forum. I think the Real World Forum is good. It allows people to discuss otherwise sensitive issues in their own corner of the site without turning general into a war zone. Now if people dont want to see these kinds of threads they just avoid this particular sub forum. The poll station was created as our members seem to have an over zealous fervor for polls This is fine, and is another reason why a sub forum was created. They were polluting general. People were tired of it, so now they have their own space where they belong. As you can see, we listen to our members and where possible we try to keep you all happy. While i can agree it can be a little confusing at first, it does help to keep things more clean around here. However i will add that were any more forums to be added then yes, things could start to be come a little crowded. Right now, however, the site is in good shape.

Here's my 2 cents:

1) The idea with the organisation of the forums is.....

• So that a member can narrow down their field of interest (hence avoiding OT posts if needs be) thus enhancing their browsing pleasure ;)
  • People wanting assistance know where best to post thereby maximizing the chance of it being seen by a member who can help and give a timely answer.
  • Experts in any given topic are more likely to gather and frequent a few sub-forums each, thus rapidly building up localised pools of knowledge.

2) If a post is in the 'wrong' forum Keldyn (l33t mover) will move 'em :D

I personally think that you should get rid of the PDA forum. It has been open for a while, and there arent that many posts in it. I do think that you should make a forum just for desktops :D. There are enough posts to have one. :D

I would be in favor of a cleanup of the PDA forum although i dont think its necessary to remove it completely. It is young, give it some time and it will grow.

Originally posted by Keldyn

I would be in favor of a cleanup of the PDA forum although i dont think its necessary to remove it completely. It is young, give it some time and it will grow.

especially when we have neowin on pda and/or I-Mode

We have 1500-2000 new posts a day we just need all those forums to devide everything so we can all easily find the stuff that interests us.

Originally posted by Redmak

especially when we have neowin on pda and/or I-Mode

i eagerly await the day neowin goes to pda :D

it better have the forums too ! ;)

Originally posted by lazydesert

i eagerly await the day neowin goes to pda :D

it better have the forums too ! ;)

on pda:

news = easy

forums = HARD HARD HARD (aka, may never happen easily..)

As Redmak has said, there are alot more posts nowadays. If there are more specific forum categories threads don't get lost so quickly and are easier to find.